Jets News For 6-24-06

FoxJet

Vilma will not have the same protection within the 3-4, which could ultimately hinder his production.

Could hinder his performance?

Vilma should have a chat with Ray Lewis about switching to the 3-4.

The midget will get swallowed up by big OLinemen this year.

Physically, Vilma is no fittable in 3-4... However, he is school learner and he can learn to be a solid 3-4 with insticts.

If Vilma cant do that then Jets should trade him for first rounder or pure OLB or DT.

I dont care about his popularity in fan base as long as Jets assemble the right players.

Could hinder his performance?

Vilma should have a chat with Ray Lewis about switching to the 3-4.

The midget will get swallowed up by big OLinemen this year.

I still think Ray Lewis is a crybaby for complaining about the 3-4 like that. Dude is supposed to be one of the greats but can't take on blockers? My team's had the 3-4 for going on 15 years now and we've never had an ILB complain about it. Hell, they've had alot of pro-bowl years in the system.

I think Vilma will be fine in the 3-4 too. He doesn't appear to be one of those guys that complains when things don't go his way. It's all in the mindset IMO. He'll appreciate it when the team wins more games.

Physically, Vilma is no fittable in 3-4... However, he is school learner and he can learn to be a solid 3-4 with insticts.

If Vilma cant do that then Jets should trade him for first rounder or pure OLB or DT.

I dont care about his popularity in fan base as long as Jets assemble the right players.

Ray Lewis has great instincts and quickness and he struggled mightily in the 3-4.

It's a very tough transition for a player that relys on quickness, speed and agility to make plays sideline to sideline. Vilma's small size will only compound the issue.

For Vilma to be successful in the 3-4, the Jets need to find a big load for NT and DFat needs to step up his play and virtually tie up 2 OLinemen on every single play.

Not saying that can not happen, but the odds are certainly against that.

That is why I'm convinced that Mangini will experiment with the 3-4, but the 4-3 will remain the Jets base defense.

Mangini is smart enough not to try and put a square peg in a round hole.;)

My team's had the 3-4 for going on 15 years now and we've never had an ILB complain about it.

Stiller, you missing one key point.

The Steelers ILB's were all well suited (size, strength, responsibilities) to be ILB's in a 3-4 set.

The Jets, and particulary Vilma, are not.

It will be a tough transition for him.

Ray Lewis has great instincts and quickness and he struggled mightily in the 3-4.

It's a very tough transition for a player that relys on quickness, speed and agility to make plays sideline to sideline. Vilma's small size will only compound the issue.

For Vilma to be successful in the 3-4, the Jets need to find a big load for NT and DFat needs to step up his play and virtually tie up 2 OLinemen on every single play.

That is why I'm convinced that Mangini will experiment with the 3-4, but the 4-3 will remain the Jets base defense.

yeah, I am sure this year Jets will play 4-3 most of the time since 2 "popular players" under contract, Vilma and Robertson... It is foolish to overhaul them in one season and leave them high and dry....

This year is experimental season as you stated to find out what kind of players they have.. Hopefully, there are not many players that will be needed to be improved or replaced because it is hard to trade Robertson and Vilma in the same off season.

Hopefully, there are not many players that will be needed to be improved or replaced because it is hard to trade Robertson and Vilma in the same off season.

First off, DFat is virtually untradeable because of his ridiculous contract. No other team in their right mind would ever go after him based on his mediocre play, degenerative knee problems and a bloated contract.

And unless Vilma completely flops in a 3-4 (which I don't think he will do), I don't see the Jets trading him at all.

geez Tex give it up-doesn't it get tiring going back and forth from board to board being the devil's advocate-and you're pretty good at being a jerk about it half the time-I gotta admit.I mean the name calling like D-Fat,Penny boy and the midget is a little immature don't you think?Give it a break and use your football smarts to make your points-which you obviously have and leave out the nicknames we're adults here-call it an intervention

geez Tex give it up-doesn't it get tiring going back and forth from board to board being the devil's advocate-and you're pretty good at being a jerk about it half the time-I gotta admit.I mean the name calling like D-Fat,Penny boy and the midget is a little immature don't you think?Give it a break and use your football smarts to make your points-which you obviously have and leave out the nicknames we're adults here-call it an intervention

LOL... plus all we've heard from Mangini is how we will play multiple looks on defense but since this is slow news week, lets create a issue with our best defensive player.

Come on SoFla, you are one of the last guys on this board that I would think that I offend.:eek:

Instead of harping on my "nicknames" for Jet players, why don't you comment on my football opinions that I made in this thread.

If everything was black and white, the world would be a very dull place to live.;)

TX you just starting backing your dip sh$t opinions with facts when I called you out on it. No one is saying that you don't know what you are talking about. But when anyone just spouts random crap with nothing to back it up they look like idiots. As you do on a regular basis. I will say this over the past few posts you have backed up what you are saying with facts. But the name calling has been really immature. By the way. Why are you still here. Did the pats board kick you out? Or you still a closet jets fan. Don't worry when you jump off the pats bandwagon you will still be welcome here.

that's just the point you make a lot of football sense but diminish it by deliberately trying to antagonize the faithful-which you know you do-purposely

Dude, Max pays me big bucks to create controversy on the board.

Just what you are talking about.;)

Take things with a grain of salt and move on.

All I am doing is providing my opinion in a not-so-subtle way.

How much fun would this place be if a Pats fan always posted serious opinions without taking a few cheap shots at the Jets?

Trust me, it would be boring.

TX you just starting backing your dip sh$t opinions with facts when I called you out on it. No one is saying that you don't know what you are talking about. But when anyone just spouts random crap with nothing to back it up they look like idiots. As you do on a regular basis.

I will say this over the past few posts you have backed up what you are saying with facts. But the name calling has been really immature. By the way. Why are you still here. Did the pats board kick you out? Or you still a closet jets fan. Don't worry when you jump off the pats bandwagon you will still be welcome here.

Coach,

Your 1st paragraph is one of the most contridictory that I ever read.:eek:

Your 2nd paragraph makes no sense whatsoever.

You're right tex I really don't give a crap-moved on and have more stuff to worry about like why does my grandson insist upon messing with my stereo and messing up my pre sets grrrrrr-ah but he's cute as hell and can virtually do whatever he wants to his old grandpa

the other thing concerning me is if my son-in-law will ever leave the house to get the wings from JJ Muggs-gave him the money over an hour ago and I was gnarly from hunger then...

LOL! Any fan of another team that spends this amount of time at other teams' message boards is, well, just not normal. PATSco-TEX isn't normal. Unfortunately, chemical imbalances in the brain is a near epidemic problem in the area of mental illness in this country today. The best thing to do is to ignore them, like the nut jobs you see on the streets on NYC.

If you say anything to them, you interupt their conversation with the other personalities running around in their heads. This can be very dangerous, because you will most likely interupt a heated debate, perhaps even an arguement that is about to turn violent between the other personalities running around in their heads. Next thing you know, all five of em are chasing you down the street, yelling incohernetly, much like their cult leader, Bill Belichick. It's best to just let them mumble, and pretend you don't notice.

LOL! Any fan of another team that spends this amount of time at other teams' message boards is, well, just not normal. PATSco-TEX isn't normal. Unfortunately, chemical imbalances in the brain is a near epidemic problem in the area of mental illness in this country today. The best thing to do is to ignore them, like the nut jobs you see on the streets on NYC.

If you say anything to them, you interupt their conversation with the other personalities running around in their heads. This can be very dangerous, because you will most likely interupt a heated debate, perhaps even an arguement that is about to turn violent between the other personalities running around in their heads. Next thing you know, all five of em are chasing you down the street, yelling incohernetly, much like their cult leader, Bill Belichick. It's best to just let them mumble, and pretend you don't notice.

lol. good stuff.

Ray Lewis struggled so badly in the 3-4 that he won defensive player of the year.

No question the 3-4 is not better for Vilma, but like the pats we will play plenty of 4-3 D too.

From every thing I've read from Coach Mangini's quotes is he playing the defense that gives them the BEST chance to win that game...If a 4-3 is the answer that week, then thats the defense they'll play from what I read..Hey fella's it not brain surgury 4-3 3-4..I'm sure a bunch of intelligent college educated guys can handle 2 defensive schemes.

Patsfantx, explain how Lewis won the MVP in that 3-4 if he struggled?

Lewis has said that himself in an interview on the NFL channel.

He said he really hated it at first and it took some time to get used to.

He said he'd prefer the 4-3 any day of the week.

Farrior, Zach Thomas, and Dat Nguyen (sp?) are not much bigger or even smaller than Vilma and have been very productive in the 3-4. R Lewis is a cry baby and overrated.

I dont recall that Thomas played in 3-4 at all.. Saban featured 4-3. I dont remember JJ and his pupil featured 3-4... I may be wrong.

I notice that Vilma, not Robertson is the key for decision-making on defense scheme for 2006 and beyond that... He is clearly smart and a work/play hunger. There is no freaking way for him to be like Ray Lewis who at least demanded to have a defensive scheme that works for him.. As a Jet fan, I would like to see Vilma try at SS or OLB depending on his weight/size if he struggles as MLB.. It is hard to see Vilma go elsewhere... I wont have any problem to trade him away if we dont have a place in 3-4 for Vilma.

I dont recall that Thomas played in 3-4 at all.. Saban featured 4-3. I dont remember JJ and his pupil featured 3-4... I may be wrong.

The Phins did play a 3-4. They played multiple fronts which the Jets will also do. The Jets will play a defense that gives them the best chance to win regardless of what that is. Also do not forget about Marvin Jones who was on the small side until Parcells. Vilma will just need to add upper body strength and learn better technique to shed blockers with. When you are facing a 300-350 lb OG the difference between 230-250 is not the main issue. It is just as important to learn tchnique and beat the guard to a spot by being smart. Being smart is something Ray Lewis is not but I believe Vilma is.

Archived