NFL on ESPN right now ranking the teams

nj meadowlands

Schlereth, Salisbury, and Golic ranking the teams from 30-1. Put the Jets at 26, fairly enough. However, they said that it all rests on Chad and Ramsey. If either of them can step up and play very solidly, they said that the Jets would move from the bottom ten to near the top 10. Interesting...

Top 10? That is highly improbable.

This team, coaches included are so unbelievably young. I really can't believe the ages of our coaches.

It is interesting that we chose this many high character players for our squad...does anyone think it could be correlated to the fact that the coaches selected them because they will not undermind and interject upon the youthful/ novice staff?

I'm all for succeeding with this new formula but the youth and inexperience combined with a bunch of intellectual (though not most athletically gifted) players could turn real ugly, real fast. We are banking on intelligence and discipline over athleticism. The problem is intelligence and discipline can be a porous devices, especially when a novice placed in any situation (not just the football field) will encounter a learning curve.

I wouldn't be suprised to see some bad blowouts this season and some spectacular primetime highlights on espn as the names of Schelgel and Smith are seen sprinting down the field for a td saving tackle on a blown assignment.

This team, coaches included are so unbelievably young. I really can't believe the ages of our coaches.

It is interesting that we chose this many high character players for our squad...does anyone think it could be correlated to the fact that the coaches selected them because they will not undermind and interject upon the youthful/ novice staff?

I'm all for succeeding with this new formula but the youth and inexperience combined with a bunch of intellectual (though not most athletically gifted) players could turn real ugly, real fast. We are banking on intelligence and discipline over athleticism. The problem is intelligence and discipline can be a porous devices, especially when a novice placed in any situation (not just the football field) will encounter a learning curve.

I wouldn't be suprised to see some bad blowouts this season and some spectacular primetime highlights on espn as the names of Schelgel and Smith are seen sprinting down the field for a td saving tackle on a blown assignment.

I agree that top 10 is very unrealistic given the circumstances. But I think you are underestimating the athleticism of some of the players we brought in through the draft and free agency.

Although they are linemen, Ferguson and Mangold are as athletically gifted as it gets at their respected positions. Also Washington, B Smith, Adams and Coleman are athletic guys as well. You add in Andre Dyson who has alot of speed and agility...and it's not like we're bringing in guys w/ high character but undrafted free agent ability.

The idea is to mix high character and intelligence w/ guys that have quality physical ability.It just so happend that we already had some young physically gifted guys like Rhodes, Miller, Vilma, D Rob, Jones and BT...and needed to bring in a few more "high character" guys as an equalizer.

Funny what ranking would the experts have given Bears QB's last year- not very high at all and see what that team did last year

Excellent point, Faba. Ya can go pretty far with a solid run game and good defense. Sooner or later though, ya need the top notch QB to put ya over the top, IMO.

And Max, bite me. Ya had enough potw's. lol

Schlereth, Salisbury, and Golic ranking the teams from 30-1. Put the Jets at 26, fairly enough. However, they said that it all rests on Chad and Ramsey. If either of them can step up and play very solidly, they said that the Jets would move from the bottom ten to near the top 10. Interesting...

More evidence that you should never listen to the guys on ESPN in regards to the Jets. Even if Ramsey or Pennington step up and play lights out the Jets have no weapons on offense and the defense is playing out of scheme. Jets could actuallty wind up winning 7-8 games due to the schedule and how weak it is but no way are they anywhere near top 10.

So Direjet,

Mangini and Tannenbaum spent there pre-draft days figuring out who were the smartest players that would keep their mouth's closed ,so they can keep their jobs..that was the plan you say??Firstly they get the top two rated offensive linemen and gifted athletes in the ENTIRE Draft and a top notch QB who I believe is better then Hollywood Linert who all happen to intelligent and young men of very high character and college graduates..smart is important, or maybe we want the Santorio Holmes who gets arrested once or week or even better Marcus Vick..great athletes with serious social issue's, that's the way to go? Mangin was quoted as saying "When things get tough the players with good character usually win out..I believe that...unselfish, hardworking intelligent people whether you run an office or NFL team is what you should be looking for if you want a quality product.

So Direjet,

Mangini and Tannenbaum spent there pre-draft days figuring out who were the smartest players that would keep their mouth's closed ,so they can keep their jobs..that was the plan you say??Firstly they get the top two rated offensive linemen and gifted athletes in the ENTIRE Draft and a top notch QB who I believe is better then Hollywood Linert who all happen to intelligent and young men of very high character and college graduates..smart is important, or maybe we want the Santorio Holmes who gets arrested once or week or even better Marcus Vick..great athletes with serious social issue's, that's the way to go? Mangin was quoted as saying "When things get tough the players with good character usually win out..I believe that...unselfish, hardworking intelligent people whether you run an office or NFL team is what you should be looking for if you want a quality product.

It is just a theory, that yes, we chose easier to deal with guys because of our inexperienced, youthful staff...These draft picks are more headstrong than physically strong...Do I think that they have a chance to eventually succeed? Yes. I really do think there is a shot, but in reality they are all beginners to the NFL and will have to cope with the process of LEARNING a totally different system in a more advanced setting. They will not be able to make up for their shortcomings with physical skill and intelligence may not show through completely till their 2-3 year, once they have adapted to the leauge and system...I'm just saying that this staff does have a plan, built on strong character and intelligence but in my opinion it won't shine through for a couple of seasons...those couple of seasons are going to be brutally ugly.

So Direjet,

The last team to spend its first two draft picks on the highest rated OT and highest rated C was the Oakland Raiders in 2004. They took OT Robert Gallery (2nd overall) and C Jake Grove with their first pick in the 2nd round. Having built their 'infrastructure' the Raiders went 5-11 and 4-12 in the next two seasons. They passed on Ben Roethlisberger. Tangini followed Al Davis's strategy in this years draft.. A "Commitment to Excellence!

Kelly Clemons? One half season in a run and shoot offensive scheme that features the QB building up impressive passing stats. The NFL stopped using the run and shoot after the defenses caught up to the scheme in the 1990's. Clemons was a 3rd or 4th tier college QB before the switch to a run and shoot offense at Oregon. Want to see how he projects to the NFL, just look at his passing stats from the 2004 college season when Oregon ran a covential offensive scheme... average to below average to poor in virtually every statistic.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/sortables?stat=pass&sort=rat&season=3&year=2004&group=80

Like the Raiders. the Jets built their Al Davis infrastructure and bypassed a franchise QB (Matt Leinart). Building a franchise using the Al Davis model is not the way to build a winning team.

Like the Raiders. the Jets built their Al Davis infrastructure and bypassed a franchise QB (Matt Leinart).

Matt Leinart will never be a "franchise" QB.

He is the left-handed version of PennyBoyWonder.

Haven't you guys learned that weak-armed QB's just can't get it done?

And please spare me the Joe Montana comeback, he was the exception rather than the rule.

Leinart is definitly no Joe Montana.

Leinart does have a Pennington arm but he just might be able to succeed in Arizona with Bolding, Fitzgerald and James. Pennington was never given weapons like those here, so maybe Leinart will step up because of a lot of playmakers around him.

He would've been the next Ryan Leaf here.

Matt Leinart will never be a "franchise" QB.

He is the left-handed version of PennyBoyWonder.

Haven't you guys learned that weak-armed QB's just can't get it done?

And please spare me the Joe Montana comeback, he was the exception rather than the rule.

Leinart is definitly no Joe Montana.

Leinart isn't Joe Montana, however he isn't Pennington either. I see a lot of Rich Gannon in him. He's a guy who can move around, has an adequate arm, makes accurate throws and shows good leadership. Rich Gannon is the most accurate comparison to him.

Enough already with comparing Leinart's arm to Pennington. That is bs used to rationalize a bad move on Tanenbaum's part. The guy doesn't Daunte Culpeper's arm but he doesn't have Pennington's either. And by the way, Pennington was a pretty damn good qb for us before he got hurt so ending up with another Pennington type wouldn't actually be such a bad thing.

Oh and by the way, Kellen Clemens doesn't exactly have a howitzer for an arm either. You guys exagerate his arm strength plus he is injury prone. Kellen Clemens has more in common with Pennington.

More evidence that you should never listen to the guys on ESPN in regards to the Jets. Even if Ramsey or Pennington step up and play lights out the Jets have no weapons on offense and the defense is playing out of scheme. Jets could actuallty wind up winning 7-8 games due to the schedule and how weak it is but no way are they anywhere near top 10.

This weak schedule you speak of, where is it? We open on the road at Tenn. True Titan are not a good team but they have a coaching staff thats been there a few years, a QB (Volek) who knows that system, and they will be at home. On the road Titan will be favored. Then:

NEW ENGLAND-LOL

AT BUFF-possible win but on the road, so Jets lose. They will beat Buff at the Meadowlands later in the year.

COLTS-LOL

AT JAX-LOL

MIAMI-we're home but not nearly as talented. Big loss.

DETROIT- A win!?

AT Clevland-On the road against a team a year ahead of us; loss

BYE WEEK- No loss

AT NEW ENGLAND-Ugly loss

CHICAGO-Loss

After 10 games this team could EASILY be 2-8 and if the sh1t really hits the fan 1-9.

REALITY BITES!

The last team to spend its first two draft picks on the highest rated OT and highest rated C was the Oakland Raiders in 2004. They took OT Robert Gallery (2nd overall) and C Jake Grove with their first pick in the 2nd round. Having built their 'infrastructure' the Raiders went 5-11 and 4-12 in the next two seasons. They passed on Ben Roethlisberger. Tangini followed Al Davis's strategy in this years draft.. A "Commitment to Excellence!

Kelly Clemons? One half season in a run and shoot offensive scheme that features the QB building up impressive passing stats. The NFL stopped using the run and shoot after the defenses caught up to the scheme in the 1990's. Clemons was a 3rd or 4th tier college QB before the switch to a run and shoot offense at Oregon. Want to see how he projects to the NFL, just look at his passing stats from the 2004 college season when Oregon ran a covential offensive scheme... average to below average to poor in virtually every statistic.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/sortables?stat=pass&sort=rat&season=3&year=2004&group=80

Like the Raiders. the Jets built their Al Davis infrastructure and bypassed a franchise QB (Matt Leinart). Building a franchise using the Al Davis model is not the way to build a winning team.

Look Lia, I don't know who you think you're fooling here. First of all, the two guys that the Raiders drafted there are now 2 of their 5 starters on the O-Line, and quite solid players. Secondly, the head coach of the oakland raiders was NORV TURNER. I repeat, NORV TURNER. A born loser.

Most importantly, the player personnel on those raiders teams was, and continues to be (with the exception of Moss and Porter) ATROCIOUS. In 2004, their QB was KErry Collins with a running back platoon of Amos Zereoue, Tyrone Wheatley, Zack Crockett, Justin Fargas, and JR Redmond. And please, look at their defense. The similarities between the Raiders and Jets stop after the coincidental same positions that they drafted with their first two picks.

Don't you hear Herm calling? He wants you to give him a foot massage... go get on that!

Leinart isn't Joe Montana, however he isn't Pennington either. I see a lot of Rich Gannon in him. He's a guy who can move around, has an adequate arm, makes accurate throws and shows good leadership. Rich Gannon is the most accurate comparison to him.

Enough already with comparing Leinart's arm to Pennington. That is bs used to rationalize a bad move on Tanenbaum's part. The guy doesn't Daunte Culpeper's arm but he doesn't have Pennington's either. And by the way, Pennington was a pretty damn good qb for us before he got hurt so ending up with another Pennington type wouldn't actually be such a bad thing.

Oh and by the way, Kellen Clemens doesn't exactly have a howitzer for an arm either. You guys exagerate his arm strength plus he is injury prone. Kellen Clemens has more in common with Pennington.

First of all, Pennington was only a pretty darn good QB for about 8 games. His arm was a major liability throughout his career here, especially once the D's caught on and crowded the LOS. You want to compare Leinert to Gannon, but the truth is Gannon would have had a very hard time running that WCO here in the meadowlands. In OAK he at least had the threat of a deep ball with relatively calm OAK weather. In NY that threat is no greater than Pennington's was. In fact, if Pennington played in OAK or SD you would hear very little about his weak arm simply because the weather wouldn't exploit it as much. Leinart would have been in the exact same situation as both Gannon and Chad if he played in NY.

And seriously, Kellen Clemons is injury prone? This is a clear cut example of how you strictly talk from your anus. Clemons broke his ankle while being tackled. It was his only college injury that caused him toi miss games. Since when does breaking your ankle mean you are injury prone?

North, we all know you have an unhealthy affection for Matt Leinart. You need not keep screaming for attention with temper tantrums and ignorant claims.

That is absolutely ridiculous.

Clemens and PennyBoy are like night and day.

If I'm not mistaken, Clemens had one injury during his senior year, while PennyBoyWonder has been hurt every year as the starting QB for the Jets.

Leinart can not make the deep out/middle seam throws that are required in the NFL.

There is a reason why he went #10 instead of #1.;)

Archived