Extra cap room

SoFlaJets

what do we do with it?Does it carry over to next year?Are we gonna sign anyone else?Will we be looking to renegotiate contracts mid-season(like we did with Chad and Ellis) or doesn't that count against this years cap if we do?

You lock up Patrick Ramsey to a 3-5 year contract extension so there is a serviceable back-up to Kellen Clemens starting in 2007.

Either that or you go out for another veteran QB between 25-30 in the offseason.

But either way, you save it up and use it on key players re-signing contracts and FA next season on small guys, not big name guys, as well as I'm sure a Top 15 draft pick that could be launched higher with 2 2nd round picks as trading up bait.

Actually according to the new CBA, yes it does carry over. It's called the Cap Adjustment Mechanism, or CAM. If total player costs falls under or over the designated trigger %, then that % is either added or subtracted to the following year's cap. In 2006 the trigger is 59%.

Actually according to the new CBA, yes it does carry over. It's called the Cap Adjustment Mechanism, or CAM. If total player costs falls under or over the designated trigger %, then that % is either added or subtracted to the following year's cap. In 2006 the trigger is 59%.

Tony,

Please remember how dumb I am. And be patient with me.

Can you provide a little more info on that? I think I understand what you are saying but if you post it again maybe this time I will get it.

Max,

Basically we're talking TFR, Total Football Revenue. This is the chunk of money that gets divided up between the players and owners, it's all the money the team makes for the year.

The trigger % is 59% of TFR. Anything spent over that is deducted from next year's cap, anything spent under is added to next year's cap.

However, I believe that salaries cannot fall below 57% per the new CBA. If it does, I am not sure how that money will then be paid out, but it will be paid out in some manner.

good stuff Tony-I,too am a dumbass and still don't understand it either though(ADD?) as I don't with a lot of the NFL's rules-like compensatory picks and/or why we only got a jar of peanutbutter for a certain HC who quit and colluded with his new team with the help of his future ex and GM Bradway

It all boils down to this, stay under the cap, and get the difference added to next year's cap as a credit. If we're $5M under the cap at year end, then our cap will be $5M higher than a team that spent right to the cap. Go over the cap, and you'll get a cap penalty in 2007 as your cap will be lower than other teams in the amount which you overspent.

This stuff can really make you batty, therefore the reason why i've been out riding the Harley rather than updating the site and thinking football. Im slowly starting to ease back into it!!

Max,

Basically we're talking TFR, Total Football Revenue. This is the chunk of money that gets divided up between the players and owners, it's all the money the team makes for the year.

The trigger % is 59% of TFR. Anything spent over that is deducted from next year's cap, anything spent under is added to next year's cap.

However, I believe that salaries cannot fall below 57% per the new CBA. If it does, I am not sure how that money will then be paid out, but it will be paid out in some manner.

This looks like a homework assignment, or is it extra credit?

Unless this is a totally new rule, I think you are wrong. The only way I know of to get more cap space has to do with unlikely to be met incentives.

This is what I understood the rule to be. Only way to get a higher cap # is - well take Chad for example:

Pretend in his contract he gets:

$1M for doing nothing (shut up TX)

$3M for starting 4 games

$6M for starting 12 games

And the league figures he's likely to reach that middle level.

His salary, that counts against the cap, this year is $3M.

If he doesn't reach that level, then next year we get an extra $2M in cap space, as we paid him $1M but took a cap his as though we paid him $3M.

If he reaches the 3rd level, then next year we get $3M LESS under the cap b/c we paid Chad $6M but only counted $3M on the cap.

Tony is the rule different now?

The incentive rules are still in place as far as I know Sperm. However, for it to be a credit towards next year's cap, the player would have to fail to earn a Likely To Be Earned incentive. An LTBE is an incentive for achieving a goal that you have achieved the previous season.

For example, if CMart has a clause that pays him $$$ for reaching 500 yards this year, it would be an LTBE because he did it last year.

LTBE's count against this year's salary cap immediately. Again, if not met, count as a credit towards next year's cap.

NOT Likely To Be Earned Incentives, if reached, count against this year's cap.

A NLTBE incentive is simply an incentive that the player has not reached yet. An example of that would be for CMart to rush for 2000 yards this year. If it's not reached, there is no credit because it never counted against the cap in the first place.

So there are at least 2 ways to get credits on the cap, with the LTBE's, and the CAM system.

Patriots | Team leads the league in salary cap space

Sun, 25 Jun 2006 19:28:44 -0700

Mike Reiss, of the Boston Globe, reports the New England Patriots have slightly more than $15 million in salary cap space, the highest figure in the NFL.

Thanks for the info guys. I heard about the LTBE, and the Not LTBE issues effecting the cap. The CAM is a new one on me.

Thanks again. Teams under the cap who are having lousy seasons due to injury should use this new rule and not replace their injured guys except with minimum pay players, to maximize their cap limit for the next season.

Archived