Mangini Walks The Line

Maxman

"In order for a coach to win in the NFL, he must have the trust and respect of his players".

As usual, very good read Tyson.

But that's a Catch-22.

The only way Mangini will get "trust and respect" from the players is to win football games.

What comes first, the chicken or the egg.;)

"In order for a coach to win in the NFL, he must have the trust and respect of his players".

But that's a Catch-22.

The only way Mangini will get "trust and respect" from the players is to win football games.

I think Mangini has done the right thing. Nobody had it any rougher than JMac. By all accounts he was cramping on the day of the conditioning test. But he failed the requirements and was placed on PUP until he passed.

JMac is a veteran who never causes problems. But Mangini wouldn't budge, a rule is a rule. When you consider what the players dealt with last year (Ty Law failing weigh-ins all season and never being fined) he had no other choice.

He had to drive this mindset home. Mangini also got crushed for being so tough on the media. Again -- look at what the guy before him did. He had to tell these players (and coaches) that he meant business when he said to not talk to the media.

The guy I worry about most is the young O\C. Mangini looked like he was going to kill him in the preseason. Wait until the games actually count!

I keep my eyes wide open all the time

I had a picture of Johnny Cash all set and ready to go. Then I figured Tyson would kill me for butchering his article, lol.

I keep a close watch on this heart of mine,

I keep my eyes wide open all the time,

I keep the ends out for the ties that bind,

Because you're mine, I walk the line.

The guy I worry about most is the young O\C. Mangini looked like he was going to kill him in the preseason. Wait until the games actually count!

Do you remember the Pats/Panthers Super Bowl.

Where BB chewed out Mangini's @ss in front of 200 hundred godzillion viewers when the Panthers went over the top for a 73-yard TD to take the lead?

That crap doesn't mean anything.

If Mangini didn't respect Schot, he wouldn't be the OC.

You guys read too much into sideline activities.;)

You guys read too much into sideline activities.;)

Kevin Gilbride, is that you?

We don't read too much into them. But me personally, I am enjoying them. Outside of the Herm\Harris near fight that one time -- the Jets sideline has been very boring the past few years.

I watched for Miller heading to the sidelines after his personal foul call against the Giants. Herm would have smiled and hugged him. Miller knew he walked up Mangini spoke his piece and it was amusing to watch!

It wasn't like the offense was giving us anything to watch!

But that's a Catch-22.

The bottom line is as a Head Coach in any sport at any level you have to do it the way you think it needs to be done..It's better to fall on your face, then fall over leaning backward. Mangini has been doing a great job from what I can tell and I'm happpy with the direction the JETS are headed

Max the rap on McCareins has always been that he needed tough love and he would "blossom" and I am sure that word got to Mangini. Some times measures that he could be intended to her respect can completely backfire..just throwing it out there

Max the rap on McCareins has always been that he needed tough love and he would "blossom" and I am sure that word got to Mangini. Some times measures that he could be intended to her respect can completely backfire..just throwing it out there

You are right it can backfire. He has to back it up with results on the field. Otherwise his tenure will be known as Al Groh II.

But that's a Catch-22.

TX....taken from Tyson's article.

The new coach must remember that respect is not given it is earned and no one cares about who your mentor is but they care more about what your win/loss record is.

For the past two years we've complained about players having no accountability under Herm.

That in mind, critiquing how Mangini handled Brick's obvious lack of concentration is slightly hypocritical.

By handling do you mean forcing D'Brick to be the only remaining starter in the game through the end of the 4th quarter? How is that being hypocritical?

By handling do you mean forcing D'Brick to be the only remaining starter in the game through the end of the 4th quarter? How is that being hypocritical?

Forcing Brick to play in the 4th quarter? The coach says get in there, you get in there. When the first round pick/starting tackle jumps on 4th and 1, he evidently needs more in-game reps to learn not to move before the snap.

The way i read the post, the hypocrisy involves criticizing the HC for making the players accountable for mistakes, when previously there was criticism that Edwards was not holding players accountable. You cant have it both ways.

Yeh, they "forced" players to run laps, too. Make a mistake, pay a price. Seems fair.

I dont think Mangini believed playing Brick was an "unnecessary risk".

If you are afraid of someone getting him hurt, which play Brick at all in the preseason?

The potential risk of injury was outweighed by getting the player conditioned to not jump before the snap, especially on 4th and 1. At least it was in EM's mind, or else he wouldnt have played him.

There is nothing wrong with holding players accountable but there is something wrong with taking unnecessary risks to prove a point. I wish Herm would have done this and see how you all would have handled it

I agree that if Herm did it everybody would have been ranting about how "stupid and unecessary" it was, but I think it's ridiculous. The down, distance and score of a preseason game are completely irrelevant. The fourth quarter is just as "necessary" as the first. The purpose is to prepare the players for the season. If Brick isn't prepared he should play. If he's made out of glass who needs him? Same goes for Pennington, I like Pennington, but if he gets hurt, he gets hurt. It's the nature of the game. Wasn't Herm the one that didn't play Martin and Vinny in the preseason and then had NOTHING to start the year because they weren't ready?

The only time I have a problem with a guy playing in a preseason game or camp is if they are dinged and risk exacerbating the injury.

I dont think Mangini believed playing Brick was an "unnecessary risk".

If you are afraid of someone getting him hurt, which play Brick at all in the preseason?

The potential risk of injury was outweighed by getting the player conditioned to not jump before the snap, especially on 4th and 1. At least it was in EM's mind, or else he wouldnt have played him.

Agreed. I also think that Mangini's handling of both Ferguson and McCareins can be linked to concentration. McCareins has had passes hit him right in his hands and he would drop them. That is a lack of concentration. Ferguson jumping offsides is due to a lack of focus, concentration.

This is all preparation on how teams become champions and stay champions. In the past, this nonsense was tolerated.

No more.

Agreed. I also think that Mangini's handling of both Ferguson and McCareins can be linked to concentration. McCareins has had passes hit him right in his hands and he would drop them. That is a lack of concentration. Ferguson jumping offsides is due to a lack of focus, concentration.

This is all preparation on how teams become champions and stay champions. In the past, this nonsense was tolerated.

No more.

Now that i read you quoting my post i see what has to be one of the worst sentences i have ever written here. LOL

"If you are afraid of someone getting him hurt, which play Brick at all in the preseason?"

should read

"If you are afraid of Brick getting hurt, why play him at all in the preseason."

That is all.

;)

I think what alot of people fail to realize is, Parcells and Bellichik didn't turn into hard a*ses once they started winning (and "earning respect"). Parcells was a prick his first year with the Giants (they won 3 games) and Bellichik took over the Pats and went 5-11. They stuck to their guns, and things turned around.

Believe me, if it wasn't for George Young, Parcells would have been fired his rookie year as a HC, because the world was calling for his head.

I think a coach just has to be who they are, and let the chips fall where they will. This idea that Mangini is simply "aping" Bellichick and Parcells isn't accurate, in my opinion.

You could not hang around two guys like that for fifteen minutes, never mind fifteen years and not be like them to begin with.

Now that i read you quoting my post i see what has to be one of the worst sentences i have ever written here. LOL

"If you are afraid of someone getting him hurt, which play Brick at all in the preseason?"

should read

"If you are afraid of Brick getting hurt, why play him at all in the preseason."

That is all.

;)

Didn't mean to call attention to your error.....

:D

Archived