Lions Assistant Arrested Twice In 2 Weeks, Drunk, Drove Nude

The Gun Of Bavaria

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060907/SPORTS0101/609070343/1126

Lions coach to get counseling

Cullen, in his first year as defensive assistant, arrested twice in two weeks; in court next week.

Fred Girard / The Detroit News

bilde?Site=C3&Date=20060907&Category=SPORTS0101&ArtNo=609070343&Ref=H3&Profile=1126Q=100&MaxW=250

function NewWindow(height,width,url) {window.open(url,"ShowProdWindow","menubars=0,scrollbars=1,resizable=1,height="+height+",width="+width); }

Lions defensive-line coach Joe Cullen publicly apologized Wednesday to the team, its fans and his family for two recent alcohol-related arrests -- including one in which Dearborn police allegedly found him driving down Michigan Avenue nude.

Cullen, who lost a coaching job in 2005 after an arrest on a charge of public drunkenness, requested immediate counseling, a Lions representative said, and a private treatment program was set up for him.

The Lions front office confirmed Wednesday that Cullen, 38, was arrested Aug. 24 and Sept. 1 for misdemeanor offenses.

"I would like to apologize to the Detroit Lions organization, our fans, my family and friends for any embarrassment these incidents have caused," Cullen said in a statement, declining to answer further questions.

"These incidents represent a mistake in judgment on my part. I deeply regret them and have learned a valuable lesson. It won't happen again."

Lions president and CEO Matt Millen also issued a statement, saying, "Coach Cullen requested immediate help in seeking treatment. That assistance has been provided and a comprehensive, private program has been established for him."

Dearborn police confirmed that Cullen was arrested Aug. 24 and ticketed for indecent and obscene conduct.

Although the arresting officer stated on the ticket that Cullen was driving nude, no further details or explanations were given. The arrest occurred at 11:15 p.m. on Michigan Avenue near Lapham.

On Sept. 1, Dearborn police again stopped Cullen's 2006 Ford Explorer on Michigan Avenue, at about the same time of night, on suspicion of drunken driving. His blood-alcohol content was .12, police records say.

In Michigan, a blood-alcohol content of .08 or higher is considered drunken driving.

Court appearances in both cases are scheduled for next week.

The NFL has a personal-conduct policy that covers all full-time employees of the league and member clubs. It prohibits "violent and/or criminal activity," but does not mention drinking specifically.

The league has a substance-abuse policy but it applies only to players and is spelled out in the collective bargaining agreement. Discipline for club officials would have to come under provisions of what would be considered "conduct detrimental to the league."

NFL spokesman Michael Signora declined Wednesday to say whether Cullen could be subject to disciplinary action.

"We are aware of the situation and we are looking into it," Signora said.

Cullen joined the Lions this season after coaching in the college ranks for nearly 20 years, most recently at Illinois last year.

Earlier in 2005 he had been hired at Mississippi, but never coached there.

He was fired after being arrested on a public-drunkenness charge a week before the start of spring practice.

Mike O'Hara contributed to this report. You can reach Fred Girard at (313) 222-2165 or fred.girard@detnews.com.

when i was a kid... i was working drive-thru... and i had a guy come thru naked... twice! LOL

he said into the mic the second time, "i am back... you forgot the cream for my coffee" needless to say... i was NOT waiting for him when he pulled up...

one of my pals who was a DT at my school who worked with me was...

LOL!

anyway.. it wasnt as if there was much to look at anyway ;)

Archived