Bye Bye Nuge

4HCrew

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply
No, I get the point.

You are missing my point that Nugent is a damn kicker. His numbers looked solid last year, but how many pressure kicks did he make? How many of his kickoffs were downed in the end zone?

Nugent was a disappointment last year and he has started off even worse this year. When IS it time to cut our losses? When he shanks a 27-yarder next week and we lose to New England?

We drafted this guy to do what Doug Brien couldn't do. Thus far in his career, he has been no Doug Brien. And, not in a good way. Brien had one bad game. And we sent him packing (justifiably). If you can't trust your kicker to make a 30-yarder, then really, why is he on the team? Because of where he was DRAFTED?

Street free agents could have made those kicks. I know, we should give Nugent a break because he was kicking in the Kicker's Hell known as Adelphia Colliseum. Anyone care to look up Joe Nedney or Rob Bironas' stats? If Nugent can't make kicks in September there, how is he going to make meaningful kicks in December in the swirling winds of the Meadowlands?

Bad pick, time to move on.

Does this mean every time we bring in a kicker, if he misses an EXP. or a sub 30 yarder, he gets the ax right away?

We will go through 6-7 kickers a season. And no one will wantt o come here.

Leave teh kid alone. Something was wrong with his technique. He himself said his foot kept hitting the turf before each kick. He will fix his problem in practice this week and be fine next week.

Does this mean every time we bring in a kicker, if he misses an EXP or a sub 30 yareder, he gets the ax right away?

We will go through 6-7 kickers a season. And no one will wantt o come here.

Leave teh kid alone. Something was wrong with his technique. he himself said his foot kept hitting the turf before each kick. He will fix his problem in practice this week and be fine next week.

no, but if he misses THREE in one game then yes, cut.

I thought it was a distant memory but its back.

For years when John Hall walked out on the field to try a field goal my

heart skipped a beat. For a few years now I've been calm. Now when Nugent

walks out on the field....... it's back.

exactly Senior and as much as every Jets fan hated Doug Brien-I never did-even though I understood why he was let go-I never got that feeling like I did with Hall and now Nugent-I'm not saying call Brien and get him back here but I don't really blame HIM as much as I blame Herm

You guys are acting like he was impressive last year. He wasn't. And his performance yesterday kind of surpassed just a bad game, other kickers have missed 2 FGs in a game and a PAT, but those FGs were longer distance. Yesterday was optimal conditions. Missing a PAT in one game is fine, no biggie. If he misses one next week though, you'd have to cut this guy, you just can't have someone that can't even reliably knock those in. He gets one more chance, next week. Ideally, Mangini signs a kicker this week and lets him compete, and if Nuge fails again next week he's gone right away, but I think Mangini will give Nuge a chance to lose next weeks game first. That's not a chance I want to take, but I expected to lose next week anyway to be honest. There are a ton of kickers you can get at a moment's notice, and it's not like you need to teach them a playbook or anything. They're interchangeable.

In terms of percentage, Nugent ranked 19th in the league last year. If that's good enough for you to consider him as "good" last year, then I can understand the defense. But to me and a lot of others, it really isn't all that good, and Nuge has to prove something before he has vociferous defenders.

Some of you guys are confusing being a "vociferous defender" with saying he shouldnt be cut today.

I asked last night who should be signed as a PK.

I havent seen one name offered up yet.

Billy Cundiff! He's frickin awesome!

You guys are brutal. I guarantee that Nugent will get on a roll from here on out and shut everybody up. And what exactly was wrong with his field goals last year? We were 4-12, sorry he didnt kick any big time field goals for us, but his % was as good as Vinatieri, so get your facts straight, he was good. What do you want from a kicker, touchdown passes?

He'll be fine. Just watch.

exactly Senior and as much as every Jets fan hated Doug Brien-I never did-even though I understood why he was let go-I never got that feeling like I did with Hall and now Nugent-I'm not saying call Brien and get him back here but I don't really blame HIM as much as I blame Herm

Maybe some guys on here didn't go thru the John Hall era.

Just wait till sunday when its a close game in the fourth quarter and

Nugent has to come out for an important field goal.

THEN you will find out the feeling I got during the John Hall era.

That said I'm not in the cut Nugent side of this BUT it certainly behooves

Mangini to have someone get on the phone and make a few calls to see

what kickers are available in case this becomes a chronic condition.

Didn't he pull this sht, before? Barton, you do realize that this offense sucks, right? We're not going to play the Titans every week. We may even have to play a good team with a good defense. There will be times when we won't get much closer to to goal post than today. If Nugent cant hit those, we wont score.

This is a serious problem.

Comprende?

Let me ask this:

What if that was some UDFA kicker and not a 2nd round draft pick?

The Jets would have a new kicker versus the Pats this week.;)

Archived