Sorry to bring this up again, as i know its been covered..

AVM

I just saw the roughing the passer against the bengals yesterday on the last drive, which the buc's eventually scored and won the game on. As they said on PTI "it was just an average sack". This kinda ties into games earlier this season, that the ref's are just sucking up the calls out there this year. There have been plenty of bad calls against the jets, but its not like its just the jets. This is ridiculous, and they've GOT to do something to fix it. Letting the ref's change the game, sometimes screwing over the team that SHOULD win should not be acceptable.

I just saw the roughing the passer against the bengals yesterday on the last drive, which the buc's eventually scored and won the game on. As they said on PTI "it was just an average sack". This kinda ties into games earlier this season, that the ref's are just sucking up the calls out there this year. There have been plenty of bad calls against the jets, but its not like its just the jets. This is ridiculous, and they've GOT to do something to fix it. Letting the ref's change the game, sometimes screwing over the team that SHOULD win should not be acceptable.

Why?

I wish I could remember the host that suggested this, but they intimated that football, both college and professional, leave these small flaws in their respective most popular sports to keep the league in the news during the week.

As desplorable as Haynesworth actions were; it was covered ad nauseam by the media and on talk shows. Until the next week's games kicked off. We could probably to this day call a Raiders talk show and say the Tuck Rule was correct, it was, and to deal with it. That program would probably not need anything else to talk to for the rest of the day. Ditto college and the BCS. Everyone has a plan for a playoff. I did a college paper on one.

This flaw keeps the sport in the news and talked about.

Why?

I wish I could remember the host that suggested this, but they intimated that football, both college and professional, leave these small flaws in their respective most popular sports to keep the league in the news during the week.

As desplorable as Haynesworth actions were; it was covered ad nauseam by the media and on talk shows. Until the next week's games kicked off. We could probably to this day call a Raiders talk show and say the Tuck Rule was correct, it was, and to deal with it. That program would probably not need anything else to talk to for the rest of the day. Ditto college and the BCS. Everyone has a plan for a playoff. I did a college paper on one.

This flaw keeps the sport in the news and talked about.

Yeah, i kinda got off from my original point and onto bad call. What i was trying to get at mainly was the fact that they'll call a roughing the passer when theres nothing to be called now. I understand wanting to protect the qb, but its gotten out of hand.

Sorry about getting off my point(and in my own post, sadly)...i have a bad tendency to do that.

I do see what you're saying though, and thats a very good point...i never really thought of it that way. I still dont like it though lol

The refs have nothing to do with it.

All they are doing is enforcing the rules that the NFL rules comittee come up with. Their main goal last off-season was to find a way to protect QB's, and as a result, we get this.

Honestly, from the games I have seen so far, the refs seem to be very consistent with their calls regarding roughing the passer.

Unfortunately to the fans, it looks like a real bad call, but it actually is the interpretation of the new rules.

Yeah, i kinda got off from my original point and onto bad call. What i was trying to get at mainly was the fact that they'll call a roughing the passer when theres nothing to be called now. I understand wanting to protect the qb, but its gotten out of hand.

Sorry about getting off my point(and in my own post, sadly)...i have a bad tendency to do that.

I do see what you're saying though, and thats a very good point...i never really thought of it that way. I still dont like it though lol

Been there and have done that. ;-)

Since 1978, every major rule change has been to favor the offense. Matt Cassell or Tom Brady? I will choose Brady. The bottomline is Peyton and great Qbs put asses in the seat.

I think the rule stinks.

Look if you want to protect the QB that badly (and I'm all for that) then bring back the "in the grasp rule"

How many times in have we seen guys like McNair, Leftwich, Culpepper be in the grasp of someone as work their way out of it.

I think it is very tough in a sport where you HAVE to go full tilt to suddenly let up at the last minute because he is the QB.

Change it and bring back "in the grasp"

Thanks guys..good points. I see what you mean tx..i guess i just think its stupid that a defender that makes a good play and sacks the quarterback can be penalized. But like PF said...qb's fill the seats, so what are ya gonna do?

oh and PF...sure you dont wanna take Cassell? :)

Possibly the worst call I ever saw in my life. It was simply a clean and easy QB sack. The whistle was never blown. It was a sack...period! Since when is sacking the QB a penalty. It's not like there were 5 guys piled on top and the whistle blew...no. It was a simple one man sack. The QB was brought down immediately....again, it's not like the whistle blew and the DL didn't let up. It was a SACK!! That call changed the course of the game. It was huge. Refs need to be held more responsible. Like an enormous fine and/or suspension. Possibly even, a public physical beating by the fans of the team that the ref screwed. I think that would be reasonable.

The refs have nothing to do with it.

All they are doing is enforcing the rules that the NFL rules comittee come up with. Their main goal last off-season was to find a way to protect QB's, and as a result, we get this.

Honestly, from the games I have seen so far, the refs seem to be very consistent with their calls regarding roughing the passer.

Unfortunately to the fans, it looks like a real bad call, but it actually is the interpretation of the new rules.

Don't agree. Yes, the rules are made to protect the QBs; I may not agree with all of them but the rules are the rules. You could have another thread on whether or not the rules are good. To me though, this thread speaks to the lack of consistency shown between different referees, and even the lack of consistency of a single ref during a game. They want to protect the QBs fine, but be consistent. One example, the penalty on Vilma last week compared to the lack of a call against Jason Taylor this past week. Consistency is what is sorely missing....

I saw worse non-calls than that on Sunday. One was a sack followed by burying the QB to the turf (can't remember which game, as I was in a bar & they had all of them on). As a football fan I wouldnt normally give it much attention.

It's not whether they're enforcing it or not. It's how arbitrary they are at calling it. And it's the same 15 yards whether it's incidental or obvioulsy purposeful.

Archived