Pennington: I Love Jets Fans...I loved hearing this yesterday on the post game

SoFlaJets

so for all you "typical Jets fans" out there this is how our QB feels about "us"

"I was happy that I was breathing again, number one," Pennington said. "Number two, I wanted to let the crowd know I was okay. It was a good feeling. It has been a while. It reminded me of 2002. That is one thing about Jets fans - I love Jets fans. They really taught me how to be tough, how to take my licks and keep on going."

so for all you "typical Jets fans" out there this is how our QB feels about "us"

"I was happy that I was breathing again, number one," Pennington said. "Number two, I wanted to let the crowd know I was okay. It was a good feeling. It has been a while. It reminded me of 2002. That is one thing about Jets fans - I love Jets fans. They really taught me how to be tough, how to take my licks and keep on going."

I love this f@cking guy, good show chad!

it's one of the things that stood out about Mangini to me when he first had a PC as our coach-he mentioned us,the fans, a lot...just another example of what had been lacking here under Herman Edwards' stewardship

Big time, I realize it's a small bone to throw our way but it seems as though this team really does give a sh!t about the season and the team. I credit that to Mangini and Tannenbaum for putting this together.

Again, thank you Chad for making a beautiful Sunday even more so (and for making sitting in the traffic leaving the meadowlands bearable).

Hey we all love the guy when he is pumping up the team and the crowd. That's what he did when he first got his big chance in 2002. That's what he has to do.

There never was any doubt that Penny wasn't tuff, the question was can he lead his team successfully and maintain a winning atmosphere...Like it or not he is the leader of the team (any QB is). We just did not see it from him for a while....just glad it came back.

Let's hope he keeps it up against the Packers.....Something tells me the Jets will.....

It's things like this that make it more sad that he is so physically limited, and isn't the right QB for this team. He has everything you want except an NFL arm.

Penny's arm is good enough to make the throws he needs to make, he has proved that time and time again and this year he should get a reprieve because he really is making all the throws.

Btw, we're 6-5 and have a shot at the playoffs. Penny could have been throwing underhanded all year and I wouldn't give a rats a$$.

Btw2, Eli sure has a great arm doesn't he. ;)

Penny's arm is good enough to make the throws he needs to make, he has proved that time and time again and this year he should get a reprieve because he really is making all the throws.

Btw, we're 6-5 and have a shot at the playoffs. Penny could have been throwing underhanded all year and I wouldn't give a rats a$$.

this is something I've never seen before and I really can't believe the crap I read about Chad here-especially since it's spewed off the fingertips of Jets fans...it's something I'm having a hard time understanding-hey guys we're WINNING this year.

this is something I've never seen before and I really can't believe the crap I read about Chad here-especially since it's spewed off the fingertips of Jets fans...it's something I'm having a hard time understanding-hey guys we're WINNING this year.

Exactly, Chad's 'limitations' have us at 6-5 and right in the middle of the playoff hunt. I'll take that over Eli's 'strength' which has the Giants missing the playoffs in the weak NFC. (But they will likely still get in because it is that bad over there)

I really think people b!tch just to b!tch sometimes, get over Chad's 'limitations' and root for the damn team already.

No one has a crystal ball so no one can tell me how this season will play out, play the games and root for your boys.

All the throws he needs to make? That whole comment I just highlighted in bold doesnt make any sense, sorry to say. Where is he making "all the throws". Did you see how many passes yesterday were batted down by texan DBs while 1 of our WRs had to wait for the ball to get to them?

His arm strength is a liability, plain and simple. He's a tuff QB, but injury prone, and he's a nice guy, but that doesnt mean jack when the sh#t hits the fan and we play a tuff defense.

You can compare him to Eli all you want, but this is only Eli's 2nd full season. Chad is 30. Not a fair comparison, and not one that actually disproves the idea that he has too weak of an arm.

you make another good point raffy Eli HAS a great arm but not half of what Chad has between the ears...of course that fact means nothing to the haters

The difference is that while Eli could develop those things, this is just his 3rd year after all, Chad has reached his potential and can't actually get better. His arm just will not get stronger.

Chad will never be able to have both the smarts and the physical tools, like the top QBs in the league. Guys like Brady, Palmer, Peyton, McNabb, Bulger etc. all have the same or better smarts than Pennington, but they can also make more throws, so they can actually do a lot more with those smarts. Yeah, Chad is better than a guy like Plummer, who will probably never put it all together, but that doesn't mean Chad is good enough to win it all for us, Plummer wasn't about to get there either and now he has no job.

All the throws he needs to make? That whole comment I just highlighted in bold doesnt make any sense, sorry to say. Where is he making "all the throws". Did you see how many passes yesterday were batted down by texan DBs while 1 of our WRs had to wait for the ball to get to them?

His arm strength is a liability, plain and simple. He's a tuff QB, but injury prone, and he's a nice guy, but that doesnt mean jack when the sh#t hits the fan and we play a tuff defense.

You can compare him to Eli all you want, but this is only Eli's 2nd full season. Chad is 30. Not a fair comparison, and not one that actually disproves the idea that he has too weak of an arm.

Tough loss yesterday huh? Get your cheese head ready for next week.;)

I couldnt bring myself to rooting against the Jets. I wasnt overly excited when we won though, but I loved watching our defense improve.

cheer for the dolphins, they have two big armed QB's. And wow, they are just fantastic. Its so cool when they can launch the ball but can't throw a screen pass without it being returned for 6. I'll take our "noodle-arm" any day of the week. the man's a proven winner.

I couldnt bring myself to rooting against the Jets. I wasnt overly excited when we won though, but I loved watching our defense improve.

Truly pathetic.

And back to what I said, Chad made all the throws yesterday and we won. I can see now how this wouldn't please you since you "weren't overly excited" the jets won. A few more fans like you and might as well not even field a team.

Your point was it's not fair to compare Chad and Eli because Eli is only in his 2nd full season, right? Weak, for two reasons.

1, Eli played a good chunk of games his rookie year so you can't gloss over that experience (and the "maturation" the networks are always talking about, I haven't seen any positive steps by Eli in his 3 years in the NFL).

2, my point was rather simple, namely that having a gun for an arm doesn't always cut it in the nfl (see countless examples). Eli is said to have a gun (rightfully so) yet can't pull his head out of his a$$ long enough to read a defense and not make a stupid decision with the game (or a 21 point lead) on the line.

You have obviously chosen which QB you would rather have and that is your right as a fan, no doubt. But don't tell me the receivers had to wait for balls to reach them and db's were swatting balls away yesterday if you weren't even at the gam because if you were you would have known that Chad was something like 14 out of 15 in the 2nd half.

Love ya Barton but that's just pathetic.

I havent been overly excited over any of our wins except the pats game.

Maybe thats because I have had to tape them at 1, and dont get to watch the whole thing until 5 oclock, I dont know. But I havent gotten as heated when we have lost (Colts game aside), or as high as I used to when we win. Its probably I just dont see our current QB as a longterm answer, so these wins dont mean as much as I used to think.

Truly pathetic.

And back to what I said, Chad made all the throws yesterday and we won. I can see now how this wouldn't please you since you "weren't overly excited" the jets won. A few more fans like you and might as well not even field a team.

Your point was it's not fair to compare Chad and Eli because Eli is only in his 2nd full season, right? Weak, for two reasons.

1, Eli played a good chunk of games his rookie year so you can't gloss over that experience (and the "maturation" the networks are always talking about, I haven't seen any positive steps by Eli in his 3 years in the NFL).

2, my point was rather simple, namely that having a gun for an arm doesn't always cut it in the nfl (see countless examples). Eli is said to have a gun (rightfully so) yet can't pull his head out of his a$$ long enough to read a defense and not make a stupid decision with the game (or a 21 point lead) on the line.

You have obviously chosen which QB you would rather have and that is your right as a fan, no doubt. But don't tell me the receivers had to wait for balls to reach them and db's were swatting balls away yesterday if you weren't even at the gam because if you were you would have known that Chad was something like 14 out of 15 in the 2nd half.

Dude, I watched the game and have it on tape. There are 2 halfs in a football game, Chad was very good in the 2nd half, but in the 1st half he was subpar.

There is definitly something that Mangini sees in Chad and I'm hoping Mangini will be able to bring it out. I think Mangini is trying the steer Chad from the Hackett style of be perfect or fall apart. Rich Gannon had a similar problem, as did Steve Young. I'm willing to bet that by the end of the season Chad will be a much better Quarterback.

Barton, do you honestly believe Kellen Clemens gives us a better chance to win right now?

Maybe. Maybe not. What I am more concerned about is THE FUTURE.

If we go with Chad into 2007, we arent going anywhere. And if we go 10-6 this year there is no way Mangini will pull him in favor of Clemens in 2007. Its too big of a risk, a risk that could get a coach fired.

We're all outsiders here, we dont really know what Mangini is thinking, or how he sees Clemens, but we can certainly do better than 11TDs/11 INTs.

Our schedule has been the easiest in the AFC, its a joke really.

There is definitly something that Mangini sees in Chad and I'm hoping Mangini will be able to bring it out. I think Mangini is trying the steer Chad from the Hackett style of be perfect or fall apart. Rich Gannon had a similar problem, as did Steve Young. I'm willing to bet that by the end of the season Chad will be a much better Quarterback.

I thought of that too. The problem is I'm not sure if Chad's problems are correctable by coaching, or if they're purely physical problems. I can't think of any top QB in the history of the NFL with as weak an arm as Chad, indicating that you might need a minimum arm strength that Chad simply does not have in order to beat the top defenses in the league. He needs to step into his throws in order to have accuracy and any zip on the ball, but in the NFL a lot of times against the top teams they'll leave a guy open in order to get pressure, and that's where a top QB manage to get the ball there and get a big play or a critical first down, and that's usually where Chad fails to execute.

Chad simply doesn't take enough shots downfield, but more importantly, I don't think he can hit a 15-25 yard deep out, the type of pass that you basically have to throw on a rope. I think that is Chad's biggest problem. Now the question is, is that a coaching problem, or is it a physical one? I am leaning towards it being physical.

I think part of it might be intensity, I don't know why he isn't as intense as he was back in 2002. Chad's basically going to have another shot this year, I think we can get into the playoffs, and then there really are no excuses. If he fails yet again in the playoffs, no matter how much hope you have in the guy, you kind of need to say enough is enough.

You can compare him to Eli all you want, but this is only Eli's 2nd full season.

And it is also Rivers' FIRST season EVER starting or playing a game in the nfl, Eli and him aren't having the same kind of season. Eli has really shown no distinct improvement over the course of his nfl career, and he has started games in 3 seasons so far. If anything, he regresses every year as the pressure builds up and as opposing teams get into their grooves. Chad is definitely having a better season than Eli, and doing what is needed to get the team a winning record and a fighting shot at the playoffs. Do the haters realize that we were projected to be utter crap this year, that we have no running game, and that we have a significant amount of rookies in key positions and a brand spankin' new Def scheme? What more do some people want to say "yeah, the jets are making great moves on and off the field, and our qb is solid and making do with NO real running threat"

I swear, I just think the average Jet fan is so brainwashed into having to be all doom and gloom. I mean, c'mon, if you were at the game this week, when Chad went down, how many total @ssholes went off and started cursing him, thinking he reinjured himself. Classy!

Ahhh, what do i know, maybe I should just stick to posting pics of girls in underwear!

And it is also Rivers' FIRST season EVER starting or playing a game in the nfl, Eli and him aren't having the same kind of season. Eli has really shown no distinct improvement over the course of his nfl career, and he has started games in 3 seasons so far. If anything, he regresses every year as the pressure builds up and as opposing teams get into their grooves. Chad is definitely having a better season than Eli, and doing what is needed to get the team a winning record and a fighting shot at the playoffs. Do the haters realize that we were projected to be utter crap this year, that we have no running game, and that we have a significant amount of rookies in key positions and a brand spankin' new Def scheme? What more do some people want to say "yeah, the jets are making great moves on and off the field, and our qb is solid and making do with NO real running threat"

I swear, I just think the average Jet fan is so brainwashed into having to be all doom and gloom. I mean, c'mon, if you were at the game this week, when Chad went down, how many total @ssholes went off and started cursing him, thinking he reinjured himself. Classy!

Ahhh, what do i know, maybe I should just stick to posting pics of girls in underwear!

Rivers was absolutely awful yesterday. He is lucky that he has the best player in the NFL bailing him out every week. I'm pretty sure I could play QB for the Chargers.

I thought of that too. The problem is I'm not sure if Chad's problems are correctable by coaching, or if they're purely physical problems. I can't think of any top QB in the history of the NFL with as weak an arm as Chad, indicating that you might need a minimum arm strength that Chad simply does not have in order to beat the top defenses in the league. He needs to step into his throws in order to have accuracy and any zip on the ball, but in the NFL a lot of times against the top teams they'll leave a guy open in order to get pressure, and that's where a top QB manage to get the ball there and get a big play or a critical first down, and that's usually where Chad fails to execute.

Chad simply doesn't take enough shots downfield, but more importantly, I don't think he can hit a 15-25 yard deep out, the type of pass that you basically have to throw on a rope. I think that is Chad's biggest problem. Now the question is, is that a coaching problem, or is it a physical one? I am leaning towards it being physical.

I think part of it might be intensity, I don't know why he isn't as intense as he was back in 2002. Chad's basically going to have another shot this year, I think we can get into the playoffs, and then there really are no excuses. If he fails yet again in the playoffs, no matter how much hope you have in the guy, you kind of need to say enough is enough.

Thats a good post. I agree with you.

I cant root against the Jets on sundays, just cant. I really doubt we make the playoffs, but if we do, I just hope that the fact that we made the playoffs doesnt cloud Mangini's thinking about whether or not Clemens will take over in 2007. I'm sure it will be another QB competion in camp next year, but I really doubt Chad will stand there and take it after he just QBed a team that made the playoffs. It could become an ugly situation.

It will work itself out over the next 3 years for sure, but we would only be delaying the inevitable if we go with Chad in 2007. W/E lets just worry about GB this week.......its a good discussion to talk about these things though.

Archived