Terrell Owens talks again

faba

T.O. questions release of Vanderjagt

IRVING, Texas (AP) Terrell Owens isn't just sorry to see his pal Mike Vanderjagt go. He thinks the Dallas Cowboys made a mistake by releasing the wayward kicker.

"I don't see what he did wrong to warrant him being cut,"

Owens said Wednesday. "I hope it doesn't come back to haunt us. Whoever made that decision, I'm pretty sure they're hoping the same thing."

Vanderjagt was released Monday, only 11 games into a three-year, $5.4 million contract.

He was 13-of-18 on field goals, a 72.2 percent success rate that was the lowest of his nine-year career. However, he's still the most accurate kicker in league history (86.5 percent) and only one of his misses was completely botched; three hit the right upright and another was blocked.

The final straw was missing two kicks against his former team, Indianapolis, then barely making a 22-yarder against Tampa Bay. Coach Bill Parcells had lost confidence in Vanderjagt heading into the last month with the Cowboys (7-4) holding first place in the NFC East. Martin Gramatica was signed to take his place, despite his own struggles the last few years.

In their brief time as teammates, T.O. and the "idiot kicker," as Peyton Manning once called Vanderjagt, really hit it off. Owens said he's spoken with Vanderjagt since he was cut.

"Going into the Colts game, the guy was 12-of-15. That's still a high kicking percentage," Owens said. "He didn't lose any games for us. If I had to put myself in the mix, I feel like I lost some games and I'm still here, so it's just unfortunate."

Owens dropped a sure touchdown pass that would've broken open a game at Washington. Instead, Vanderjagt had a chance to win it with a last-second field goal, but a missed assignment by a linemen led to the kick being blocked and the

Redskins wound up kicking the winning field goal. It was the only game Dallas lost when Vanderjagt missed a kick.

"Going into the Colts game, the guy was 12-of-15. That's still a high kicking percentage," Owens said. "He didn't lose any games for us. If I had to put myself in the mix, I feel like I lost some games and I'm still here, so it's just unfortunate."

how the hell can you guys bitch about TO? he's dead on

T.O. is right in this situation. I don't see how anybody can side with Parcells as this as a good move. Isn't this the same Gramatica who in his last 40-49 yard attemps is 6-12? Isn't this the same Gramatica who was cut from two teams this season? Yeah, it is. Gramatica is not a better kicker than Vandy. Period. Stupid decision and give T.O. a break because he's right to question this.

Yeah, because we all know Parcells doesn't make any mistakes, right?:eek:

I guess Tx is a guy who respects way too eaisly.

You are completelu missing my point 124.

It doesn't matter if it was a good or bad decision by Parcells, TO has absolutely no right shooting his mouth off in the media questioning Parcells move.

Did Brady shoot his mouth off in the press when the Pats let Branch go?

Did Bruschi shoot his mouth off in the press when the Pats let McGinist go?

Did Brady shoot his mouth off in the press when the Pats let Branch go?

Did Bruschi shoot his mouth off in the press when the Pats let McGinist go?

I am not 100% convinced that Bruschi realizes that Willie is gone.

Brady was too busy texting Hasselback. He had no time to talk to the media.

Do you know how many drops this clown has this year?

He dropped a sure TD pass against the Skins that would have sealed the game.

which is why TO said this:

He didn't lose any games for us. If I had to put myself in the mix, I feel like I lost some games and I'm still here, so it's just unfortunate."

and he's dead on

Last thing I'd want to do is stick up for this guy because he's a sick POS - but some good part of this is on the nature of the press. If I'm a Cowboy's beat guy, I know where I'm off to with my recorder as soon as we get let in the locker room. Especially if there's anything controversial going on. Just put a nickle in that dunce and he'll make Michael Irvin look like a mime. What's really frightning is he speaks what on his mind.

Archived