What the Jets have to do to win

Maxman

There are many threads on this. But I want to consolidate it. A serious, non-smack thread. What do the Jets have to do to win?

First let me say -- the Jets can play a nearly perfect game and still lose. This is a MONUMENTAL task. I would be lying if I said I wanted the Jets to meet the Pats right now. It is a lot to ask this team to do.

Anyhow the Jets have to play mistake free football. They can't turn the ball over. Chad has to complete over 60% of his passes. They will need Chad to be precise. More than he has been in the past few weeks. Hitting the receivers in stride because every yard will count.

They need to make some noise on special teams or defense. They might need a score from one of these units to win this game. Asking the Jets offense at this stage to put up more than 2 TDs against this defense -- well, that is a lot to ask honestly. If the def\special teams doesn't score if they can help out with regards to field position it would be greatly appreciated. ;)

The Jets can't abandon the run. Even if they are averaging 3 yards a carry they have to stick with it.

The thing I am looking forward to the most? How the Jets gameplan. Win lose or draw, this staff will go out in style. Blitzing Brady 30 times like they did the last game may not be the answer. What is really cool is having faith in this staff. And trusting that what they do, is the right thing. Win or Lose.

Thank you Eric Mangini. In you we trust.

There are many things the Jets have to do in order to win this game. It isn't realy hard to do because most of the things they need to do Mangini has persisted on since training camp.

1) The Jets need to score early. They need a TD on their opening drive or at least score before the Pats. Doing so will force Brady to make a play and hopefully make him turn it over.

2) The Jets defense needs to stop the run. They need solid tackleing, you cant arm tackle Dillion and Maroney. The defense has to make plays either by forceing fumbles or interceptions.

3) The front seven has to get pressure on Brady. Disrupt his timeing, force him to throw it early.

4) Pennington needs to be near perfect. He has to use the playaction to his advantage but in order to do so the Jets need some kind of running game, either by in your face pounding it up the middle or screens and counter runs to the outside.

5) Special teams, Nugent needs to be perfect. Washington and Miller need to have good returns on kickoffs and punts. The shorter the distance to the goal line the better.

I'd like to see more of Leon off the edges and off-tackle. Get him out there in space and let him do what he does best.

D-Rob needs to have the best game of his career. Some disruption up the middle and the rest of the D has an easier job.

As with most of the games this year, it comes down to take aways.

The team who does takes the ball and keeps the ball wins.

I am nervous, that is for sure.

BZ

Interesting point because the Jets have done well this year, yet their giveaway\takeaway % is crappy.

I'd like to see more of Leon off the edges and off-tackle. Get him out there in space and let him do what he does best.

D-Rob needs to have the best game of his career. Some disruption up the middle and the rest of the D has an easier job.

DRob has been very solid of late. If he performs like he has the past 8 weeks or so they will be in good shape.

Vilma seems to be free to make tackles lately. I haven't broken down any game film but I have to think some of it is better play from DRob!

Three things:

1. Stop/slow the Pats running game

2. Protect Pennington

3. Pressure Brady

The Jets need to be perfect this weekend overall - they might just be able to do it!

oh i forgot to say before we left the bar last week..

was that unreal with Vinny askin for the freakin JETS chant for Gods knows who on his cellphone during a freakin commercial break?

I think some here are giving the Pats way to much credit.

Here me out on this, and consider this:

1. There may not be any out thinking the other in this game, Belly vs. Mangini. What I mean by this is it will come down to near flawless football on the field by the players.

2. I don't think the Pats wanted this as their first round game. To put this in perspective I was listening to the New England Station on the dish last night and Scott Zolack was saying how the Jets have NO CHANCE at beating the Pats twice in foxboro. The interesting thing was that the commentator had to remind him that it's a divisional game and you have to throw out all the tangibles and concentrate on the intangibles.

3. The Jets have the intangibles covered...they are the coaching staff and the field goal kicker.

4. The Jets will play physical football...the question here is will the Pats.

5. The Jets will show the Pat defense many different fronts, will the Pats be able to:

A. Get to Penny and force him into a fumble or INT.

B. Stop the running game cold...and I mean cold less than 75 yards.

C. Will the Pat defense be able cover, coles, cotch, baker, McCarens, and washington/other backs coming out of the back field?

6. This game comes down to how well will the Pats defense plays for 4 quarters.

7. The Jets will get after Brady and put him on the turf, count on it.

8. Also count on the Pats running for 100 plus yards (that's just a fact).

9. But the bigest intangible is...how will the Jets respond in a big game situation. And that starts with Penny. Something tells me Penny will have a good solid game and once the defense see's that, they will be all over the Pats...in the end, they will shock the football world again.

Take stock Jets fans, we will be celebrating come 4;30 or so sunday afternoon. And then you will hear all the "experts" say things like...wow did not see this coming, and what an upset.....won't be an upset, just a down and dirty beating.

Archived