Mike Shula finds a job with Jaguars

faba

Jags hire Shula as quarterbacks coach

Associated Press

JACKSONVILLE, Fla. -- Former Alabama coach Mike Shula was hired as the quarterbacks coach for the Jacksonville Jaguars on Thursday.

Coach Jack Del Rio and Shula reached a deal at the Senior Bowl in Mobile, Ala., and the team expected a contract to be signed early next week.

Shula went 26-23 in four years at Alabama but was 0-8 against Southeastern Conference West rivals LSU and Auburn. The Tide finished 10-2 under Shula in 2005, but the son of Pro Football Hall of Fame coach Don Shula was fired last November after the team went 6-6 during the regular season.

Shula had been a candidate for the head coaching job with the Miami Dolphins, but his father's former team chose San Diego Chargers offensive coordinator Cam Cameron to replace Nick Saban.

The 41-year-old Shula replaces Ken Anderson in Jacksonville. Anderson was one of five assistant coaches fired after last season. The Jags already hired former Arizona State coach Dirk Koetter as offensive coordinator and Joe DeCamillis as special teams coordinator.

Shula, meanwhile, inherits an unsettled quarterback situation.

Byron Leftwich started the first six games but then was benched in favor of backup David Garrard. Leftwich eventually had ankle surgery and was placed on injured reserve.

But neither quarterback did enough to secure the starting job in 2007.

Leftwich completed 59 percent of his passes for 1,159 yards, with seven touchdowns and five interceptions. He was also sacked nine times.

" The 41-year-old Shula replaces Ken Anderson in Jacksonville. Anderson was one of five assistant coaches fired after last season. The Jags already hired former Arizona State coach Dirk Koetter as offensive coordinator and Joe DeCamillis as special teams coordinator. "

Koetter was a good hire. A lot of people i know were hoping he'd take the Miami Hurricanes OC job, which he probably would have done if Jax hadnt offered him.

The HC is on borrowed time when you fire five assistants. They need to turn it around or I think DelRio will be gone.

" The 41-year-old Shula replaces Ken Anderson in Jacksonville. Anderson was one of five assistant coaches fired after last season. The Jags already hired former Arizona State coach Dirk Koetter as offensive coordinator and Joe DeCamillis as special teams coordinator. "

Koetter was a good hire. A lot of people i know were hoping he'd take the Miami Hurricanes OC job, which he probably would have done if Jax hadnt offered him.

The HC is on borrowed time when you fire five assistants. They need to turn it around or I think DelRio will be gone.

The Jags went 12-4 last year and only 8-8 this year.

They controlled their playoff destiny after crushing the Colts late in the year and then proceeded to lose their last 3 games.

Del Rio = Thin ice

Jags hire Shula as quarterbacks coach

Associated Press

JACKSONVILLE, Fla. -- Former Alabama coach Mike Shula was hired as the quarterbacks coach for the Jacksonville Jaguars on Thursday.

Coach Jack Del Rio and Shula reached a deal at the Senior Bowl in Mobile, Ala., and the team expected a contract to be signed early next week.

Shula went 26-23 in four years at Alabama but was 0-8 against Southeastern Conference West rivals LSU and Auburn. The Tide finished 10-2 under Shula in 2005, but the son of Pro Football Hall of Fame coach Don Shula was fired last November after the team went 6-6 during the regular season.

Shula had been a candidate for the head coaching job with the Miami Dolphins, but his father's former team chose San Diego Chargers offensive coordinator Cam Cameron to replace Nick Saban.

The 41-year-old Shula replaces Ken Anderson in Jacksonville. Anderson was one of five assistant coaches fired after last season. The Jags already hired former Arizona State coach Dirk Koetter as offensive coordinator and Joe DeCamillis as special teams coordinator.

Shula, meanwhile, inherits an unsettled quarterback situation.

Byron Leftwich started the first six games but then was benched in favor of backup David Garrard. Leftwich eventually had ankle surgery and was placed on injured reserve.

But neither quarterback did enough to secure the starting job in 2007.

Leftwich completed 59 percent of his passes for 1,159 yards, with seven touchdowns and five interceptions. He was also sacked nine times.

Mike Shula's a class guy who got a dirty deel from my Tide. He'll do well with Jax. I wish him all the best (except when the Jags play us of course)

So what you're saying is, he didn't get it from his father.

Apparently not. I really felt sorry for coach Shula. Christ they just signed him to an extention last spring, they went 10-2 the year before and he gets canned? He just had built a $1.2 million dollar how in Tuscaloosa that he never even closed on when he got canned. I just think AD Moore had a knee jerk reaction to the 6-7 season.

Apparently not. I really felt sorry for coach Shula. Christ they just signed him to an extention last spring, they went 10-2 the year before and he gets canned? He just had built a $1.2 million dollar how in Tuscaloosa that he never even closed on when he got canned. I just think AD Moore had a knee jerk reaction to the 6-7 season.

when it comes to the sec & losing to auburn, 6-7 is not a knee jerk reaction, it's a pink slip

Thai- So called Bama Guru

Mike Shula Sucked, he was Herm esque at clock management and had balls

the size of Garb!! he lost to Awbun 4 straight and kicks a FG at 1 yd line

in 1Q. If he would have beaten them this year, it would have saved his job, he picked a great time to coach his worst game ever. Tide was also the worst

in SEC in red zone. Shula sucked... politely as a i can say it.

He is a class guy who sucked as a coach!

KC was talking to him aboout being their QB coach to tutor Croyle, who he used to coach.

I guess Shula isnt too dumb, by picking jags over Hermie.

Picking a position on Jaguars might not be too smart- Del Rio will be on thin rope next year to have success.

Archived