Redskins | Team trades Archuleta

Smizzy

Redskins | Team trades Archuleta

Tue, 20 Mar 2007 16:35:18 -0700

John Clayton, of ESPN.com, reports the Washington Redskins have acquired a sixth-round draft pick that could become a fifth-round draft pick from the Chicago Bears for FS Adam Archuleta.

They got a great deal. I like Adam, but I don't know if he would have been a fit here or not.

I agree he would have been tough to fit in here. But to go back to Lovie Smith and that Bears defense is a great situation for him. His best years of his career came when Lovie was his DC in St Loius.

I have to believe they will rework the contract. I got flack here for suggesting the Jets think about Archuleta if the Skins cut him - with a new, presumably reduced, contract. To think the Bears would give a pick and take on his absurd contract is surprising, to say the least.

Still, I bet he comes back strong. Unless he gets hurt, of course.

Chicago can do nothing if they like.

They can let him play out his current contract for 2-3 more years & then release him. Well worth a 5th-round pick if he pans out & helps them get back to the SB.

For Chicago:

2007 cap # is $585,000

2008 cap # is $1,000,000

after that it goes way up: $4M, $5M, $6M, $5M

Basically, they've got him for

2 yrs, $1.6M

3 yrs, $5.6M

or up to 6 yrs, $21.6M

cuttable at any time with no cap hit.

Outstanding move by Chicago.

This aggravates me because I hate the Skins so much (after they raided our Jets several years back) . The Skins owed Archuleta something like a $2,000,000 roster bonus last week. They got him to move the due date back twice. I was figuring they would have to release him for nothing but instead they get a draft pick out of it. :cussing:

Archived