2 potential training camp sleepers we quietly signed from the Eagles.

ARodJetsFan

[Keyonta Marshall was with the JETS in 06'...

Not sure about Clarke, he started a few games in 05' I see but didnt play last year...

Jets | Marshall signed to practice squad

Tue, 7 Nov 2006 16:46:35 -0800

Randy Lange, of the Bergen Record, reports the New York Jets have signed DT Keyonta Marshall to their practice squad.

Jets | Marshall signed to future contract

Tue, 9 Jan 2007 12:12:32 -0800

The New York Jets have signed DT Keyonta Marshall to a future contract.

They didn't sign Marshall until November, half way through the season. He was signed to the practice squad so, it's safe to say, he had no shot at getting any playing time last season.

This season could be different for him.

Maybe not, I guess we'll see.

OVERVIEW

Marshall is a wide-body type with surprising quickness for a player of his size. He was the anchor of the Lakers' defensive line since joining the team in 2001. The run-stuffing expert began his collegiate career at Hawaii in 2000, but did not letter. He left Hawaii and went back home, enrolling at Saginaw Valley State that year before again transferring the following year to Grand Valley State

The following season, Marshall started 10 games for the Lakers, producing 41 tackles (28 solos) with four sacks, 12 stops for losses, two fumble recoveries and a forced fumble. In 2002, Marshall had his finest season as a collegian. He earned All-America honors while registering 79 tackles (53 solos) with 12 sacks, 23 stops behind the line of scrimmage, two pass breakups and a blocked kick.

Weight issues would limit Marshall to nine starts in 2003, but he still earned Great Lakes Intercollegiate Athletic Conference Defensive Lineman of the Year honors for the second-straight year. He finished with 44 tackles (18 solos), four sacks, nine stops for losses, two forced fumbles, two fumble recoveries, five pass deflections and two blocked kicks.

Trimmed down to 333, Marshall again earned All-America honors, in addition to becoming the first player in GLIAC history to be named Defensive Lineman of the Year three times. He came up with 66 tackles (33 solos), six sacks and a career-high 25 stops for losses. He caused and recovered three fumbles and also deflected three passes.

In 55 games with the Lakers, Marshall started 42 times. He recorded 230 tackles (132 solos) with 26 sacks for minus-125 yards, 69 stops for losses of 224 yards, seven fumble recoveries and six forced fumbles. He also deflected 12 passes and blocked three kicks.

ANALYSIS

Positives: High production tackler with a thick chest and wide hips … One-gap type who is very effective working in the short area … Solid run stuffer who flashes to the play with leverage … Uses his hands properly to engage and shed blocks … shows good quickness coming off the edge … Drops his hips and hits on the rise in run force … Keeps his feet free from blockers and delivers punishing hand swipes coming out of his stance … Collides with ball carriers with a thud, using classic wrap-up tackling techniques to secure and bring down … Has a good short burst and quick feet to push the pocket … Shows decent playing strength to gain leverage … When given a free lane, he can get some penetration and be disruptive … Short stepper who doesn't work well over the trash inside as well, but gives a good effort to pursue and has some backside production … In the pass rush, he has decent initial quickness … Gets decent production off his effort and quickness to play underneath and slip off blocks.

Negatives: Has a short, compact frame and has constantly battled with weight issues … Is usually out of shape and also has shorter than ideal arms … Shows better quickness at the 315-pound range … When playing at 330+ pounds, he has only adequate quickness, agility and balance … Lacks the foot speed to be effective outside the short area … While he can push the pocket, he lacks the motor to consistently collapse it … Works better over the center's head, getting bounced around a bit when taking on double coverage … Good competitor who plays with good pursuit effort but lacks consistency, perhaps due to being overweight and a lack of conditioning as games go on … Does not play up to his potential, taking plays off for stretches, but some feel this is due to a lack of endurance … Plays a little too high coming out of his stance, spending too much time battling to keep blockers off his legs because of it … Against the run, he occupies space on the line and has enough strength to hold the point and anchor, but gets stalled out when he does not use hands to work across the blocker to the ball or when shedding … Despite his production, he isn't real explosive and is more of a pinball type working inside, as he lacks the lateral quickness to stunt without the power to bull rush.

INJURY REPORT

Injury report unavailable.

AGILITY

Campus: 5.29 in the 40-yard dash … 400-pound bench press … Bench pressed 225 pounds 25 times … 525-pound squat … 330-pound power clean … 4.71 20-yard shuttle … 8.13 three-cone drill … 21¾-inch vertical jump … 7-foot-1½" broad jump … 31-inch arm length … 9¾-inch hands … Right-handed.

HIGH SCHOOL

Attended Saginaw (Mich.) High School … Earned Saginaw Valley All-Conference and all-area plaudits his junior and senior years … Named to the all-state team as a senior … Team co-captain senior year … Named to the Saginaw Valley League Dream Team as a senior … The team captured the 1999 Division II Football State Championship.

PERSONAL

General Studies major … Son of Al Moultrie and Phyllis Marshall … Born Aug. 13, 1981 … Resides in Saginaw, Mich.

Got some warm air we can borrow up here SoFla... its freakin freezing out today...

it's already like frickin Africa down here-I'm considering doing my famous raindance that I used to use up in Jersey when I was sick of work-it had a high success rate-my lawn is like saltine crackers

I thought this was funny........."Trimmed down to 333, Marshall again earned All-America honors..."

He's big and sounds like a NT, but that report pegs him as a one-gapper. Zarnell Fitch seemed like an interesting guy from the reports that I read, but since he was out of football acting as a strength coach and is in NFL Europe I expect nothing. Does anybody from NFL Europe ever develop into a rotation player?

see that ARod another DE-I'm telling you I wouldn't be surprised to see us land one at 25-nobody would expect us to pick one with like a dozen of them already signed

He sees himself as a DE/OLB. I'd have thought he was an OLB prospect, especially since he's a Jason Taylor fan, but the fact that he's 280 and compares himself to Reggie White sounds more like a DE. Seems we are looking for some pass rush help with Bowens, Wadsworth, etc.

He's big and sounds like a NT, but that report pegs him as a one-gapper. Zarnell Fitch seemed like an interesting guy from the reports that I read, but since he was out of football acting as a strength coach and is in NFL Europe I expect nothing. Does anybody from NFL Europe ever develop into a rotation player?

He sees himself as a DE/OLB. I'd have thought he was an OLB prospect, especially since he's a Jason Taylor fan, but the fact that he's 280 and compares himself to Reggie White sounds more like a DE. Seems we are looking for some pass rush help with Bowens, Wadsworth, etc.

mdrago made a great point in the D-Line thread about how the end's play will help the DT's

mdrago made a great point in the D-Line thread about how the end's play will help the DT's

That's a good point. DE help is easier to find than DT help. Thing is other than Coleman there isn't anybody I'm convinced will really upgrade at DE. From the guys signed, I do think we will have a designated pass-rusher this year. I think one of the guys we've signed, probably Wadsworth or Bowens will be a 3rd and long guy to just pin his ears back and go after the qb.

That's a good point. DE help is easier to find than DT help. Thing is other than Coleman there isn't anybody I'm convinced will really upgrade at DE. From the guys signed, I do think we will have a designated pass-rusher this year. I think one of the guys we've signed, probably Wadsworth or Bowens will be a 3rd and long guy to just pin his ears back and go after the qb.

David Bowens is a big upgrade too 27-and Michael Haynes and maybe Andre Wadsworth will be able to stick-if one of those guys do we'll be in good shape

David Bowens is a big upgrade too 27-and Michael Haynes and maybe Andre Wadsworth will be able to stick-if one of those guys do we'll be in good shape

Bowens is probably the one other guy we've signed I expect something out of, but I think he'll probably be OLB/designated pass rusher. Not a typical DL. I thought Wadsworth would be a DE, but it seems from most of the quotes that he'll be at OLB too.

Bowens is probably the one other guy we've signed I expect something out of, but I think he'll probably be OLB/designated pass rusher. Not a typical DL. I thought Wadsworth would be a DE, but it seems from most of the quotes that he'll be at OLB too.

I think that our new DLine coach thinks Bowens' year helped Jason Taylor win DPOTY-it was like Adawale Ogundeye (no WAY I spelled that right) had that big year and Taylor's number were even better-again...what I'm saying is watch out for a double digit sack year from Shawn Ellis

I think that our new DLine coach thinks Bowens' year helped Jason Taylor win DPOTY-it was like Adawale Ogundeye (no WAY I spelled that right) had that big year and Taylor's number were even better-again...what I'm saying is watch out for a double digit sack year from Shawn Ellis

That would be sick but I think Bryan Thomas is more likely to get that double-digit sack year.

I like the Clarke signing. Keyonte is just a guy and will probably be on the bench the whole year unless we start to get really desperate at the NT position.

Here's another guy to keep an eye on that I completely forgot about:

http://www.nfl.com/players/playerpage/1190115

Zarnell Fitch. Hey, who knows???

You found him? I mentioned him in this thread. ;) He is allocated to NFL Europe. I'll try to track if he does anything over here, but it doesn't exactly get big coverage over here. Funny thing about him is that he was a JuCo guy that signed on with Tenn, but ended up at TCU. He was out of football in '06-as some kind of joke coach at TCU before we signed him at the end of the year, but he was a 325 lb NT that got some ints, which might fit the whole versatile, dropping guys off the line thing. If Pouha is a 50-1 shot this guy is 500-1.

Archived