How the Jets stack up

SoFlaJets

How the Jets stack up

Taking a close look at the schedule for the team

April 12, 2007, 11:36 AM EDT

The competition for fans' attention is as intense in New York as in any other market in the country, which explains why the releasing of the NFL schedules passes each year rather quietly.

Yet, when you think about it, this really can be viewed as bigger news. The schedule easily matters more to teams in the NFL than in other sport, and in many cases the strength and timing of it determines if you are bound for the playoffs

how can anyone prognosticate games prior to the draft and all of the issues that occur during training camp?

I can. But i won't.

The first two games are a really horrible draw. I haven't compared anyone elses start, but i'd be willing to bet the Jets have the hardest opening two games of anyone in the NFL.

how can anyone prognosticate games prior to the draft and all of the issues that occur during training camp?

Absolutely. I would be willing to bet that last year when the schedule came out

the fans of every team we were going to play had their team for a win against us.

Over on the message board at TheGangGreen.com, Hobbes3259 looked at the stretch, threw in the Thanksgiving game in Dallas and said, "We shouldn't lose more than one in this stretch." Expecting to win six out seven is a bit much, however, if the Jets are going to make another run to the playoffs and build off last year, you've got to hope for five wins.

He read that at TGG...:cheers:

just to play into this...based on what findings and the supposed tough schedule how can the Jets win 10 games?

having a higher score than 10 other teams when they are on the same fields. It can be done.

you'd be saying the same thing before the 06 campaign, of course the jets CAN get 10 wins, its a matter of doing it. Its not a huge reach by any means.

having a higher score than 10 other teams when they are on the same fields. It can be done.

HAHA, funny stuff, If the jets draft well this year and stay healthy there is no reason to think they'll have a worse record than last year. We should improve enough to have the same record.

hmmm... let's take a look at the schedule. Here are my predictions:

week 1: new england, tom brady is discovered to be the father of jessica simpson's unborn child. Jets win. BB barely shakes EM's hand, while EM tries to hug him.

week 2: @baltimore, willis mcgahee fumbles 3 times b4 being knocked out of the game by jonathan vilma. Jets win.

week 3: miami, trent green passes for over 400 yds. Jets win.

week 4: @buffalo, j.p. losman throws 2 80 yd touchdowns to lee evans and 2 80 yd touchdowns to kerry rhodes. Jets win.

week 5: @giants, after going 0-4 kevin gilbride takes over as HC for the ny giants. Jets win.

week 6: philadelphia, donavan mcnabb throws up on the jets insignia eliciting a personal foul which takes them out of fieldgoal range for the last play of the game. Jets win.

week 7: @cincinnati, kimo von oelhoffen falls on carson palmer's leg ending his season in the 1st half. Jets win.

week 8: buffalo, aaron schobel injures himself trying to get around d. ferguson in the first quarter and leaves the game. Jets win.

week 9: washington, after beating new england in week 8 joe gibbs can't seem to keep his foot on the accelerator. Jets win.

week 11: pittsburgh, mike nugent kicks a 63 yd field goal in over time. Jets win.

week 12: @dallas, tony romo is discovered to be the father of bridget moynahan's baby. Jets win.

week 13: @miami, ricky williams runs wild for a deuce. Jets win.

week 14: cleveland, chris baker catches 5 TD passes for a new NFL record at TE. Jets win.

week 15: @new england, jonathan vilma breaks tom brady's sternum and drew bledsoe is brought back from retirement. Jets win. BB knocks over a reporter trying to run away from EM.

week 16: @tennessee, vince young's girlfriend is discovered to be pregnant with tom brady's unborn child. Jets win.

week 17: kansas city, with larry johnson watching from the sidelines herm edwards mismanages the clock on their final drive to set up a botched 48 yd field goal attempt. Jets win.

Jets go on to unseat the '72 fins with a perfect season.

yes and I am going to bet that this year Jets fans are all going to over hype the team when they could struggle to get 8-9 wins

That's the truth. Fact is, if the Jets would have had a schedule like this last season, they wouldn't have sniffed the playoffs. They were blessed to have one of the easiest schedules in the league, and I'd be willing to bet that no other team in the league had as much luck with (lack of) injuries as the Jets did last year. This was a rebuilding project when Mangini took over and it still is, despite what last year's record was.

just to play into this...based on what findings and the supposed tough schedule how can the Jets win 10 games?

I've read there is on average a 20% turnover in the roster on each team from year to year. Even so, if one assumes that 80% of the team will remain intact, why cant a prognostication be made based on that? Of course, it is subject to revision after the draft and as tc unfolds.

I looked at the sked and right now feel the Jets can win 9 games, as many as 11 if they get some breaks, and probably end up with 10.

the Jets got very lucky with injuries last year...also how did the O Line improve to get the running game going? I will give the 2 rooks another year under their belt but at the same time another year older for Kendall. Also what moves have been made to help the D vs the run? at cb? the draft will cure all of this?

the Jets got very lucky with injuries last year...also how did the O Line improve to get the running game going? I will give the 2 rooks another year under their belt but at the same time another year older for Kendall. Also what moves have been made to help the D vs the run? at cb? the draft will cure all of this?

The draft should help, and produce some players like it did last year. I hope the Jets grab an OL with one of their top two picks. Thomas will help the running game. They picked up that DL from dallas. CB is still a ?

As much as I want to agree with you jetcane I am still not so sure. It would be great to think Coleman and Bowens will help but unless the Jets get a stout run defense they are going to struggle

No doubt there will be struggles. Many games are decided by just a few plays.

The run defense was porous last year and needs to improve.

At this point I am optimistic that the cs and fo know what they need to do to improve and stay competitive. If they dont get it done, there will be ample time to express doom and gloom.

Personally, I can see the run defense being slightly better with teh current personnel, based solely on a bit more speed at the outside DL position, and a familiarity with teh Mangini defensive schemes.

However, this is still not a shut-down defense. Combine this with an unsettled O. Line, and a question mark in Chad (alwaya will be, based on his injury history), and unless we draft some studs, and other guys step up big time (Ellis, Vilma), I do not see much improvement in the overall team.

Ergo, based on the much tougher schedule, I see 8-8 as the upper level for this team.

Archived