Chien-Ming Wang

As I sit here watching the Yankees-Tigers game, 1-1 in the Bot.6th so far, Chien-Ming Wang yet again for every start, except for his 2nd one in Tampa, has impressed me. My question is, for the remainder of the 2005 season, while Kevin Brown is still here, who stays in the rotation when Jaret Wright comes back and who gets sent down / banished to the bullepn as the emergency #6?

Wright

Brown

Wang

Choose the 2 you think will stay.

I say Brown / Wang and Wright will have to earn his way back in, or see Brown collapse completely, which will happen again at some point, he can't pitch decent-good forever.

i have'nt seen the kid pitch yet, but everything i've heard & read says he looks good. can i get a scouting report?? as for the odd man out, i'd wait til brown does his next el foldo before bumping him for wright.

Wang is efficient. He throws lots of strikes. Doesn't walk a lot of guys. Time will tell what he is capable of but he looks decent now!

i've heard he's hittin the gun at 94. hows his movement on it??

He has been hitting 94. He was advertised as a 90 - 93 guy. So that is impressive. He struck out less than one per inning last year in the minors but the ratio wasn't terrible 115 - IP, 90k (somewhere around there).

Here is my scouting report on him:

Postives:

-He is young.

-He has pitched at a very high level of competition in Taiwan.

-He doesn't speak English so he will be immune to the taunts on the road!

-His control is excellent.

-Decent velocity.

Negatives

-Lefty batters are killing him this year. He needs to find a way to keep them honest. His ERA is almost double when facing a lefty.

-His fastball seems very straight.

-His sinker is good, not great.

If he makes it he is probably a # 4 starter.

Wang leaves the rotation over my cold, dead body

I am VERY IMPRESSED with this kid

He has done well. Really well. His time in the minors was marginal and then last year they moved him to AAA and he excelled.

That being said, if he doesn't start getting lefties out he won't be here long. I am sure he can make an adjustment an get better results against lefties.

Nice surprise though this kid has been.

He has done well. Really well. His time in the minors was marginal and then last year they moved him to AAA and he excelled.

That being said, if he doesn't start getting lefties out he won't be here long. I am sure he can make an adjustment an get better results against lefties.

Max, maybe Mariano can teach him the cutter? 8)

Seriously, I think he's taught it to Gordan and Sturtz ... I see Gordan actually using it on occasion and he NEVER had that pitch before, so you know only ONE MAN could have taught him the pitch

As for Sturtz, he has OUTWARDLY credited Mariano for turning his career around ... I heard him say it ... Mariano refuses to accept any credit, CAUSE THAT'S MO, instead giving it all to Sturtz ... but Sturtz himself credits Mariano BIGTIME ... I don't know if he's throwing the cutter {I could swear I've seen a few from him as well?}, but Mo convinced him to be more aggressive, throw strikes, and attack the hitters without fear ... convinced him that his STUFF was electric and that he would be hughly successful if he simply stops nibbling and attacks the hitters with STRIKES

I'm telling you man, MO is a secret weapon in more ways than one ... more than the obvious {his own pitching} ... he has really become a LEADER of that bullpen, a highly respected leader, and one who takes the time to work with his bullpen mates ... he's like another PITCHING COACH in the pen, and a darn good one

Anyway, back to the original point ... if Wang has a tougher time with lefties than righties, maybe MO can teach him the cutter ... it's the PERFECT PITCH to assist a RH Pitcher who throwes hard {like Wang} in getting lefties out ... teach him that cutter that BEARS IN on lefties

Ham...it is a good point. Sturtze is a different pitcher now then he was a few years ago. He is real solid now.

Wang has a shot to stick here. He is off to a good start. His work on a high level of internation competition should also help.

Ham...it is a good point. Sturtze is a different pitcher now then he was a few years ago. He is real solid now.

Wang has a shot to stick here. He is off to a good start. His work on a high level of internation competition should also help.

Gordon actually threw a cutter last nite ... and Kaat was shocked :shock:

Kaat said ... THAT WAS A CUTTER ... HE JUST THREW A CUTTER :shock:

And he threw it for a strike!

I wonder where he picked up that pitch?

Archived