OT Jared gaither closer to declaring for the Supp. Draft

Kentucky Jet

link

Maryland Tackle Jared Gaither Expected to Enter NFL Supplemental Draft

Posted Jun 28th 2007 11:01AM by Michael David Smith

Filed under: NFL Draft

Maryland offensive tackle Jared Gaither has decided to leave school and enter the NFL's supplemental draft, according to reports at Scout.com and DraftHeadquarters.com.

The 6-foot-9, 350-pound Gaither immediately becomes the top prospect in the July 13 supplemental draft, in which teams can give up 2008 draft picks to acquire players who will play for them in 2007.

Gaither was ruled academically ineligible this month, and there had been previous indications that he would try to regain his academic eligibility this year, play for Maryland in 2008, and enter the draft in 2009.

But that doesn't make much sense, and if Gaither does, in fact, enter the supplemental draft, he's making the right move. Some team will probably give up a third-round pick to acquire him, and he'll have earned several hundred thousand dollars before 2009, when he'd otherwise enter the league. Gaither probably won't contribute much as a rookie, but NFL scouts love his athleticism and potential.

-

link

Maryland Tackle Jared Gaither Expected to Enter NFL Supplemental Draft

Posted Jun 28th 2007 11:01AM by Michael David Smith

Filed under: NFL Draft

Maryland offensive tackle Jared Gaither has decided to leave school and enter the NFL's supplemental draft, according to reports at Scout.com and DraftHeadquarters.com.

The 6-foot-9, 350-pound Gaither immediately becomes the top prospect in the July 13 supplemental draft, in which teams can give up 2008 draft picks to acquire players who will play for them in 2007.

Gaither was ruled academically ineligible this month, and there had been previous indications that he would try to regain his academic eligibility this year, play for Maryland in 2008, and enter the draft in 2009.

But that doesn't make much sense, and if Gaither does, in fact, enter the supplemental draft, he's making the right move. Some team will probably give up a third-round pick to acquire him, and he'll have earned several hundred thousand dollars before 2009, when he'd otherwise enter the league. Gaither probably won't contribute much as a rookie, but NFL scouts love his athleticism and potential.

-

Can they trade Kendall to the Supplemental draft for him?

Maybe, it is just me. But, I do not see team Tangini ever interested in an academically ineligible player. Period.

Well, I dunno, it would really depend on the details. Let's not pretend Coles has a squeaky clean college past.

This guy could become an absolute beast for us, and near singlehandedly fix our run problems. Brick and (well, probably not anymore) Kendall can pull with a beast of an RT, which takes advantages of their strengths while masking their weaknesses. We don't have that big mauler type anymore, so our finesse line gets pushed around and can't really open holes in the run game. I don't think we've had that since we lost K-Mac. I've been wanting a big mauler for awhile now, I really think especially with Brick we need one, hence why I wanted Kendall gone before all this started. We're still probably better served upgrading Kendall with someone more versatile though I guess.

I've posted this on Jets Confidential...

1) What if his academic ineligibility is because he's 6'9, 350 and knows that studying up on football techniques might turn out better for him in the long run than studying English, Math and Basic Science. (???). One would think the pay-off is better for a fella his size, to focus on his footwork than his grammar.

Now, I don't advocate the abandonment of education. But, if you can get financially set in life at age 20 for being physically gifted; perhaps its in your best interest to get an education later in life....

2) Are their certain positions, that based on athleticism allow a team (or coach) to feel less responsible for a player's academic eligibility? For example, a kicker who got a 300 on his SAT's, but can send one through the uprights from sixty yards out (consistantly)... At what point does an organization ignore standard academic measures?

If it turns out that Gaither is dyslexic, or illiterate.... But was able to "fake" his way into and through college (for all but his most difficult classes; senior year) I think he'd get a different label from Mangini.

3) Aside from those possibilities, yeah, we'll probably see zero supplemental drafteed added to this team during Mangini's tenure. I just wanted to create some topical devil's advocasy.

I've posted this on Jets Confidential...

1) What if his academic ineligibility is because he's 6'9, 350 and knows that studying up on football techniques might turn out better for him in the long run than studying English, Math and Basic Science. (???). One would think the pay-off is better for a fella his size, to focus on his footwork than his grammar.

Now, I don't advocate the abandonment of education. But, if you can get financially set in life at age 20 for being physically gifted; perhaps its in your best interest to get an education later in life....

2) Are their certain positions, that based on athleticism allow a team (or coach) to feel less responsible for a player's academic eligibility? For example, a kicker who got a 300 on his SAT's, but can send one through the uprights from sixty yards out (consistantly)... At what point does an organization ignore standard academic measures?

If it turns out that Gaither is dyslexic, or illiterate.... But was able to "fake" his way into and through college (for all but his most difficult classes; senior year) I think he'd get a different label from Mangini.

3) Aside from those possibilities, yeah, we'll probably see zero supplemental drafteed added to this team during Mangini's tenure. I just wanted to create some topical devil's advocasy.

When you add in the fact that two "insiders" have told me Gaither was recently busted for pot possession, you really get a feel he's more of a Bengal-to-be than a Tangini type :shutit:

When you add in the fact that two "insiders" have told me Gaither was recently busted for pot possession, you really get a feel he's more of a Bengal-to-be than a Tangini type :shutit:

Yeah. But of all players, I'd prefer my RT to be a stoner. Eat up dude.

Besides, possession??? Don't we all just hold pot for our friends?;)

Yeah, we kind of have to draw a line between Pacman Jones and the Bengals and a guy possessing pot, seriously. In the grand scheme of things, if that is the only "criminal record" he has, we could do a lot worse.

Yea, I'm not trying to be the moral compass for Gatiher, just wanted to add another piece to the troubled puzzle...I was told by someone that knows Gaither, that he's very similar to 2005 Supp draft pick Manny Wright (the DT that cried on Day 1 of practice because Saban yelled at him)......Very talented, but he needs to overcome personal issues to even get to the point were he can even fit in the N.F.L.

Don't forget, for all his talent, he benched at Maryland last season for performance and personal issues....That said, ESPN reports some teams really like him...we'll see what happens, only time will tell, right?

Yea, I'm not trying to be the moral compass for Gatiher, just wanted to add another piece to the troubled puzzle...I was told by someone that knows Gaither, that he's very similar to 2005 Supp draft pick Manny Wright (the DT that cried on Day 1 of practice because Saban yelled at him)......Very talented, but he needs to overcome personal issues to even get to the point were he can even fit in the N.F.L.

Don't forget, for all his talent, he benched at Maryland last season for performance and personal issues....That said, ESPN reports some teams really like him...we'll see what happens, only time will tell, right?

I'm not impressed by him. We're looking for 22 team leaders to duke it out for supreme leadership of the league... this guy sounds like a big follower.

sorry this made me LOL

the guy couldn't pass at Maryland

he's not exactly researching the cure for cancer.

college isn't about learning it's about proving you can put up with BS.

If Jared Gaither can't be bothered to show up to class (because let's be real, any DI player in any sport shows up to class at a state school, they will at least pass the course) how can he be bothered to study his playbook before a big game?

Archived