USA Today re Mangini

Kentucky Jet

Sponsored Links

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mangini's rookie year set high standard for Jets

By Tom Pedulla, USA TODAY

The New York Jets watched this offseason as their AFC East rival New England Patriots engaged in an uncharacteristic spending spree to overhaul their receiving corps and upgrade their defense.

Well, the Jets didn't exactly stand by and watch.

They were rather busy themselves, completing what might prove to be the winter's best trade by acquiring tailback Thomas Jones from the NFC champion Chicago Bears and moving aggressively to fill two major defensive holes by drafting cornerback Darrelle Revis and linebacker David Harris.

Former New England assistant Eric Mangini, who begins his second season as New York's head coach after producing a 10-6 record that landed the Jets a wild-card playoff berth as one of the league's biggest surprises, insists his current employer is not conscious of matching his old one move for move.

"I'd say it's more a function of us trying to get better," he says, "as opposed to purely reacting to external forces."

TABLE: Additions, subtractions for the N.Y. Jets

While many prognosticators expect New England, which lost the AFC Championship Game last season, to be even stronger in 2007, the Jets have a chance to make it difficult for the Patriots merely to win a division that includes the improving Buffalo Bills and the revamped Miami Dolphins.

Jones, 5-10 and 220 pounds, should be the powerful runner New York needs to bolster an offense that ranked 25th. After a slow start to his career, the seven-year veteran hit his stride by rushing for 2,545 yards and 15 touchdowns in his last two seasons with Chicago. He also ran for 301 yards in three playoff games, including 112 yards against the Indianapolis Colts in Super Bowl XLI.

As unusual as it is for a Super Bowl team to part with one of its major weapons

Quarterback:

Chad Pennington might be primed for his finest season because he will have an even better grasp of the offense in his second year with coordinator Brian Schottenheimer. What Pennington lacks in arm strength he makes up for with an extraordinary understanding of what is happening around him. His health has been a concern throughout his career, though. Second-year man Kellen Clemens shows promise.

Running back:

New York was caught desperately short last season when it became obvious a chronic knee problem would keep Curtis Martin from playing. The acquisition of Thomas Jones from the Chicago Bears should fill that void perfectly. Leon Washington, who led a patchwork ground game in 2006, offers a fine complement to Jones.

Wide receiver:

The Jets have one of the league's finest duos in Laveranues Coles and Jerricho Cotchery. Coles enjoys an outstanding chemistry with Pennington and should be good for another 1,000-yard season. Cotchery, who received a contract extension, will try to build on his finest season. Rookie Chansi Stuckey could be a steal.

Tight end:

There was considerable speculation the Jets would attempt to improve this position in the draft. They did not, opting to depend on veteran Chris Baker.

Offensive line:

New York went with substance over style when it spent two first-round picks on the line in 2006, drafting left tackle D'Brickashaw Ferguson and center Nick Mangold. The Jets will be rewarded for years to come. Mangold made a seamless transition to the NFL. Ferguson endured growing pains but should be the total package in time.

Defensive line:

New faces abound, though the most intriguing is Andre Wadsworth, once a highly regarded prospect

Remember Chads last excuse about his arm strength? Ya know the whole "I just need to work on my footwork and mechanics, that will really help me" excuse. Everyone bought that.

Yeaaaaaa. That was grrrrrrreat. Really helped too. To the tune of lofter 20 yard passes and 1 less INT than TD.

This year its "Now I have a whole offseason where I dont have to rehab, I'm gonna be fine now." and "This is my 2nd year in the system so now I have alot more experience on where everyone is on the field and where they are going in their patterns and such"

Next years excuse "Now I will be in the 3rd year of the system and if you look at all successful QBs like Manning, Brady and Hasselbeck, all of them had greater success their 3rd year in ths system"

Wake up people and smell the roses. You take the bait like a rat on cheese. Idiots.

It never ends. It never F***ING ends.

Quarterback:

Chad Pennington might be primed for his finest season because he will have an even better grasp of the offense in his second year with coordinator Brian Schottenheimer. What Pennington lacks in arm strength he makes up for with an extraordinary understanding of what is happening around him. His health has been a concern throughout his career, though. Second-year man Kellen Clemens shows promise.

Another orgasm!! ooOOOOOOOOOOO!!!

Man, anybody have a cigarette?

Remember Chads last excuse about his arm strength? Ya know the whole "I just need to work on my footwork and mechanics, that will really help me" excuse. Everyone bought that.

Yeaaaaaa. That was grrrrrrreat. Really helped too. To the tune of lofter 20 yard passes and 1 less INT than TD.

This year its "Now I have a whole offseason where I dont have to rehab, I'm gonna be fine now." and "This is my 2nd year in the system so now I have alot more experience on where everyone is on the field and where they are going in their patterns and such"

Next years excuse "Now I will be in the 3rd year of the system and if you look at all successful QBs like Manning, Brady and Hasselbeck, all of them had greater success their 3rd year in ths system"

Wake up people and smell the roses. You take the bait like a rat on cheese. Idiots.

It never ends. It never F***ING ends.

I'll give you 500 vcash to not mention Chad Pennington for a week.

And there should be a Vbookie thread where so people can place bets on whether you can do it or not.

Good read, but the fact that he named only two of the five OL is a concern.

There are currently three question marks on that crucial unit.

The newcomers on the DL will have an opportunity to play and make the team better if they can step it up, and BOY will they be surprised when they experience their first Mangini training camp.

The position players on both sides of the ball will benefit greatly if the OL and DL improve from last season. The other issues that have been covered ad nauseum here (CP and Clemens, Vilma adjusting better to the 3-4) are the obvious, sell papers stories, but what happens on the LOS is critical.

If the NYJ can improve on stopping the run and establishing the rushing game, other things will fall into place. If the lines struggle again, it will be a struggle for the rest of the team as well. That's how i see it going into TC.

Good read, but the fact that he named only two of the five OL is a concern.

There are currently three question marks on that crucial unit.

The newcomers on the DL will have an opportunity to play and make the team better if they can step it up, and BOY will they be surprised when they experience their first Mangini training camp.

The position players on both sides of the ball will benefit greatly if the OL and DL improve from last season. The other issues that have been covered ad nauseum here (CP and Clemens, Vilma adjusting better to the 3-4) are the obvious, sell papers stories, but what happens on the LOS is critical.

If the NYJ can improve on stopping the run and establishing the rushing game, other things will fall into place. If the lines struggle again, it will be a struggle for the rest of the team as well. That's how i see it going into TC.

Great points.

I think the OL will be OK (with or without Kendall) as the offense will produce, but the DL is a concern as they have a huge impact on the LB's perfromance.

If the DL doesn't do their job, the likes of Vilma and co are going to have no chance.

I think the OL will be OK (with or without Kendall)

Really. Who are the other three starters if kendall doesnt play?

Right now I have more confidence that the newcomers on the DL will make decent strides than I do about the OL.

Really. Who are the other three starters if kendall doesnt play?

Right now I have more confidence that the newcomers on the DL will make decent strides than I do about the OL.

I have no clue who will start on the OL!

IMO: I think the front 7 on D is more of a question mark for the Jets than the Offense.

Mangini knows that a good front 7 is way more important than a prolific offense.

The 2000 Ravens, 2001 Pats & 2002 Bucs won Super Bowls with below-average to average offenses.

I have no clue who will start on the OL!

That's what I'm talking about.

I am slightly more optimistic about someone from the Bowens, Coleman and Haynes group making an impact on the DL. While they are still question marks at this point, they have shown ability. I have nightmares about the Jets RBs getting stuffed on the LOS time after time last season, and it cant all be blamed on the RBs.

That's what I'm talking about.

I am slightly more optimistic about someone from the Bowens, Coleman and Haynes group making an impact on the DL. While they are still question marks at this point, they have shown ability. I have nightmares about the Jets RBs getting stuffed on the LOS time after time last season, and it cant all be blamed on the RBs.

The Pats OL 2001 was full of journeyman.

Greg Robinson-Randall, Grey Ruegamer & Grant Williams were all jags.

Joe Andruzzi & Mike Compton had at least started in the NFL but were not exactly household names. Matt Light was a rookie.

Damien Woody was probably the only guy on the OL that anyone outside of the AFCE had ever heard of....maybe.

The Pats OL 2001 was full of journeyman.

The Pats' CS has shown great ability to find guys to plug and play into their system. I touched on this the other day in the thread about the Pats' success- the coaches putting their players in a position to win, and then the players executing.

While Tangini had a very decent draft last year, the FAs they tried to plug in over the summer were for the most part, duds.

The cycle starts again: the CS will be judged in part on the players they brought in. I'm certainly hoping that the players they drafted do as well as last year's crop. On the other hand, they need to show better results with the free agents they bring in. I expect Thomas Jones to succeed, but the talent they have brought in on the DL needs to produce. Another season of dud FAs and it wont look good for them in that department.

The Pats' CS has shown great ability to find guys to plug and play into their system. I touched on this the other day in the thread about the Pats' success- the coaches putting their players in a position to win, and then the players executing.

While Tangini had a very decent draft last year, the FAs they tried to plug in over the summer were for the most part, duds.

The cycle starts again: the CS will be judged in part on the players they brought in. I'm certainly hoping that the players they drafted do as well as last year's crop. On the other hand, they need to show better results with the free agents they bring in. I expect Thomas Jones to succeed, but the talent they have brought in on the DL needs to produce. Another season of dud FAs and it wont look good for them in that department.

Give it some time.

The Pats probably have the best OL Coach in the NFL in Dante Scarnecchia. He has every to do with the success of OL.

The Pats have had plenty of draft picks and free agents fail to meet expectations.

Archived