At what point in the season do you realize that it...

vanDoug

I feel for you Cubbie fans out there. As a Jet fan we think we know what pain feels like. In comparison we have no idea!

This is similar to what happens to Jets fans when Chad goes down...

There's also a likeable quality regarding Prior....He acts like a veteran and even looked (physically) like a 10 season veteran as a rookie.

The upside for Dusty Baker, is he can't possibly lose his job with so many injuries, can he?

Cubs really do need to start developing some younger players this season anyway, and all these injuries should expedite this process....They've got some young OF's that need some AB's.

The upside for Dusty Baker, is he can't possibly lose his job with so many injuries, can he?

Cub fans (the real ones) are hoping for Bakers departure and injuries or not - the path is being paved for that. He's a nice guy, love to have him as a neighbor, but get him out of here. Poor tactical skills and you can't win championships by being a buddy to all your players. If you need friends - join the Rotary Club - don't manage my ball team.

The Cubs - when healthy - arguably have the best infield and starting pitching rotation in baseball. The outfield is a joke, relief pitching is horid, but what kills them is the inability to execute and that gets hung on Dusty Baker. They are 2nd in the majors with fewest walks and a high % of their runs are scored on HR's. A frightning number of starters can not bunt or go opposite field with the pitch. The injury God has been pretty nasty this year, but in all honesty, if everybody was healthy they would not be in the WS. Baker needs to go. Now.

correct me if I am wrong, but 2 years ago, I believe Dusty Baker made Prior pitcher FAR too many innings for such a young pitcher. And I remember everybody saying that this cannot be good for such a young pitcher and that sometimes it leads to arm problems down the road

This may not be the whole reason, obviously this was a fluke injury with the ball hitting his elbow, but Dusty Baker is a bad manager who doesn't manage his young pitchers good enough.

EB - Dusty gets a lot of heat for the pitch count issue. My personal opinion is I really dont buy into pitch count as the root of Cub pitcher injuries. The 2003 Cubs, under Baker, led the majors with 26 pitcher outings of 120 pitches or more. I think Kerry Wood has weird follow through mechanics that cause his problems. Prior and Zambrano are built like brick sheethouses, display effortless deliverys and should be able to throw 120 pitches. There was mucho play in the papers about Zambrano throwing 138 pitches 2 weeks ago and missing a start because of it, but one night before that Torre let Mussina throw 130 pitches and nothing was said. Absolutely, overworking any pitchers arm is a problem but I wont hang Dusty for that one - yet. He just isn't the guy I want managing my team. He'd probably make a great bench coach where he could play good guy/bad guy with the likes of a La Russa.

Cub fans (the real ones) are hoping for Bakers departure and injuries or not - the path is being paved for that. He's a nice guy, love to have him as a neighbor, but get him out of here. Poor tactical skills and you can't win championships by being a buddy to all your players. If you need friends - join the Rotary Club - don't manage my ball team.

The Cubs - when healthy - arguably have the best infield and starting pitching rotation in baseball. The outfield is a joke, relief pitching is horid, but what kills them is the inability to execute and that gets hung on Dusty Baker. They are 2nd in the majors with fewest walks and a high % of their runs are scored on HR's. A frightning number of starters can not bunt or go opposite field with the pitch. The injury God has been pretty nasty this year, but in all honesty, if everybody was healthy they would not be in the WS. Baker needs to go. Now.

Newjetster.

I would have disagreed with you about Baker in 2003.

In 2004, I was starting to have doubts.

This year?

I'm starting to think Dusty should be dusted.

The off-season non-action to get a closer pi$$ed me off huge.

The injuries have been brutal.

Outside of the pitch counts, is a manager somewhat responsible for a healthy club? Or is it just bad luck? Again and again?

thx.

d

Archived