Why not play Tino, Cano & Matsui?

Bob

Go figure. They had 30 hours since yesterday and an off day tommorrow. Torre treated this whole weekend like it was March in Tampa. When they fall a game or 2 short in October, remember this "rest" idiocy.

This was really dumb-Cano is 22; he's in the majors for about five minutes; he doesn't need a rest. And they've already placed in his head he has a tough time vs. lefties, so much so that the team thinks the immortal Rey Sanchez-who must have a huge closet to keep all his old uniforms countained-might be better vs. Wells, who coming into this game sucked. Talk about overthinking. How about putting him in and telling him "this guy throws strikes"?

And Ruben Sierra has tormented David Wells for his entire career, so why wasn't he in the lineup tonite either?

IMO the Yankees needed OFFENSE tonite

Here's the lineup we should have started tonite

SS Derek Jeter

3B Alex Rodriguez

LF Gary Sheffield

RF Ruben Sierra {4th because he has owned David Wells}

CF Hideki Matsui

DH Bernie Williams

C Jorge Posada

1B Tino Martinez

2B Robinson Cano

They might have given themselves a chance tonite with that lineup, but with that joke of a lineup Torre opted for instead it was almost like throwing up the white flag

Anybody else here think Bernie Williams should make a permanent move to just a right handed batter?

He absolutely sucks as a lefty facing RHPs, and he's a .300 + hitter as a righhty facing LHPs

Why not just experiment with it and have Bernie bat righty against LHPs AND RHPs

Just a thought because Bernie Williams really sucks against RHPs.

Maybe Joe should read this forum before making his lineup cards from now on?

Oh wait...you guys are only experts the morning after the game? And all you offer before the game is "Rah Rah Yankees Rah Rah." My bad.

As much as I hate to admit it...that was actually hysterical.

By all means Bob...I didnt mean to interupt this expert panel discussion (starring EB50 no less) that is second guessing Joe FREAKIN' Torre. Please continue. You left off at tarring and feathering any Yankee brass that dares to speak of trading Robinson Cano.

ROBINSON CANO, mind you!!!!!!!!!!!!

Torre has always been a good manager of egos. But as to strategy, he's still the same guy who managed the Mets to 90+ losses regularly in the late 1970s. There's no excuse not to have the best team he can field out there last night. But he's stubborn, and no one will argue with a guys with 4 rings. 2 examples-not starting Mussina after the rainout in the 2004 ALCS; playing POS Charlie Hayes over HoF Wade Boggs all of 1996 and 1997. You could probabably spend the rest of your day finding similar examples.

By the way-aren't you the same guys who wanted to lynch Grady Little after he allowed his diva starter to stay in 2003 Game 7 at said diva's own request, or wanted Francona's head on a stick after Game 3 last year? You're no different,;you just have a better record right now.

Torre has always been a good manager of egos. But as to strategy, he's still the same guy who managed the Mets to 90+ losses regularly in the late 1970s. There's no excuse not to have the best team he can field out there last night. But he's stubborn, and no one will argue with a guys with 4 rings. 2 examples-not starting Mussina after the rainout in the 2004 ALCS; playing POS Charlie Hayes over HoF Wade Boggs all of 1996 and 1997. You could probabably spend the rest of your day finding similar examples.

By the way-aren't you the same guys who wanted to lynch Grady Little after he allowed his diva starter to stay in 2003 Game 7 at said diva's own request, or wanted Francona's head on a stick after Game 3 last year? You're no different,;you just have a better record right now.

Youre wrong again, fella. The Grady Little argument doenst belong here. Everyone knew Pedro was done, even your average 7-year old. Taking him out was a no-brainer. I'm not even going to dignify that remark any longer.

Please, keep trying to run Torre out of town so Mattingly can take over and REALLY show you how not to manage the Yankees.

Sorry, fella-but everyone knows Girardi is the manager-in-waiting. Get the sense that Mattingly's going back to Indiana for good after this season.

Man-you guys really hate Grady. But Pedro asked to stay in,and that was okay. Even after 2004, you cannot let go.

You name the stakes...I'll match it. Mattingly is the next manager of the Yankees. Joe Girardi? Are you kidding me?

And we let go of Grady Little and many other things last fall. Its funny how last year's ceremonial downing of Dom P on Yankee Stadium, followed by a cakewalk through the World Series erased everything!

-Grady/Pedro

-Boone

-Bucky

-Babe

-Buckner

all gone forever!

I would like to make a silly bet, but it might not take effect until everyone's old and grey. I don't even know when his contract expires. They will have to drag Torre's dead carcas from the office upon his death, prying his cold fingernails from the desk. It's a game of chicken. Steinbrenner could never fire him, because the press would be all over him like never before. And Torre knows as much. Torre pretty much has his run of the place until he gets tired of it. And he isn't getting this kind of free agent cash infusion with Anaheim or Colorado,and his salary will never be higher.Not a small consideration-he has 2 ex-wives(all of those kids are grown-his son Michael was a classmate of mine), and a young daughter with his curent wife, a big house in Westchester and he lives in Hawaii in the offseason. To think the Daily News headline read "Clueless Joe" when he was hired in 1996, and now he's a Daily News spokesman. As you know from 2004, winning solves a lot.

Archived