Different question regarding Revis

SeniorFlaJet

This has to be legit, right? Is that not, essentially, what the Giants and Chargers did? The Chargers drafted Eli, never had him under contract, and traded the "right to sign him" to the Giants. Reciprocally, the Giants traded the "right to sign" Rivers to the Chargers.

Sure hope it does not come to that, though; we would get screwed ala the gints w/ Peyton's sister...

I can't find anything on it, but I don't believe that you can trade an unsigned player in the NFL.

Heck, you can't do it in Madden.;)

I just realized, Revis is gunna be a holdout in Madden...So will he be in regular gameplay mode or will you have to do a franchise and sign him in order to play with him?

If it comes down to there being no end in sight on this impasse, is it possible

for the Jets to trade the rights to him to another team???

Great question Senior. I know that if he sits out the entire season he can re-enter the draft next year.

You were obviously around during the USFL days. What happened when a player was drafted by an NFL team but signed with a USFL team?

I know he's not under contract if he were it wouldn't be any issue.

I am questioning what is his status under the NFL rules and what are the Jets

alternatives in this situation.

Going back to JOHN ELWAY, he refused to play for the team that drafted him( Baltimore). They subsequentially traded his rights to DENVER. Also ELI forced the same issue and was traded on draft day from SD to the Giants. If I remember correctly, he was not signed by SD but his rights were transferred to the Giants for the rights to Rivers.

Great question Senior. I know that if he sits out the entire season he can re-enter the draft next year.

You were obviously around during the USFL days. What happened when a player was drafted by an NFL team but signed with a USFL team?

I believe they were two different leagues competing for the same players.

The examples of Elway and the Giant/Charger trade indicates that they can

possibly trade his rights.

Now does anyone know if he sits out the entire season is there a time limit

when his rights no longer belong to the Jets?/ As an example is it the night

before the 2008 draft begins???

I think I read once a while ago that its the minute that the teams mandatory workout/practices begin that his rights cannot be traded. Maybe i misread it but Im pretty sure thats the rule.

If Revis sits out the year, he can re-enter next years draft and be drafted by another team. I do not know when he is no longer our property. I think that it could be right after the season ends.

If Revis sits out the year, he can re-enter next years draft and be drafted by another team.

Right and then he stands to lose even more money having been out of football for a year. The league is very keen on that after seeing what missing a year did to Clarrett and Mike Williams. Look guys Reveis will be a Jet and be in camp soon. He has too much to risk and lose by not.

Right and then he stands to lose even more money having been out of football for a year. The league is very keen on that after seeing what missing a year did to Clarrett and Mike Williams. Look guys Reveis will be a Jet and be in camp soon. He has too much to risk and lose by not.

I agree Revis caves. No one gives up 5-7 million guaranteed money.

And his agent doesn't get paid either. LOL

The Jets CAN trade his rights.

I think that is right. Interesting question, but not important in practice. If they couldn't all the Jets would have to do is give the agent the right to shop him for the best deal and negotiate a contract with that team-like the Pats did with Branch. Then they could just do a sign and trade like b-ball.

I beleive his rights to sign with someone else can be traded but that won't happen. He won't sit out the year either because then next year he'll screw himself and get less money. I just hope he signs a deal sometime soon this August im getting impatient with this holdout considering he's missing camp and he's gonna make a big impact in our secondary. I hope Justin Miller heals his hammy back up soon because if he can step in as a starter we can have Revis learn to be the number 2 corner spot playing nickel back.

Archived