Will Revis Be The Opening Day Starter?

Maxman

Will Revis Start At CB Against The Pats?  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Will Revis Start At CB Against The Pats?

• Yes
    • No

look at the verbiage on the voided years

Revis can void year 6 if he plays more than 35% of defensive snaps

Revis can void year 5 if he plays more than 45% of defensive snaps

Where'd you see those numbers, Bit? Are those percentages of plays in his rookie year?

According to Cimini's article, Revis can SORT OF void the last 2 years if he:

(1) appears in 35% of the plays in 2007

(2) appears in 45% of the plays in any of 2008, 2009, or 2010

He doesn't specify defensive or all plays including offense & special teams. It is not necessarily obvious that it is defensive plays only. If he's a full-time starter & also returning kicks/punts he should hit the 45% mark unless the Jets become a quick-strike team on offense & the defense lets the opposition plod down the field...for 3 years in a row.

To me, this seems more likely than the 35-45% numbers pertaining to defense only. If he starts 7-8 games in ANY year from 2008-2010 that means he can void the last 2 years. Even if he's demoted to nickel (or even dime) back for the other 2 years. That would be foolish & doubt Tannenbaum did something that bad for the Jets.

No, I think 35/45% of the plays means all the plays including offense & special teams. Keeping it under 50% means that Revis' contract is not penalized for the defense being a little bit more efficient than the offense. If the Jets become a successful ball-control offense & the defense is (almost) always on & off the field quickly, then Revis will get screwed in this regard. It's not likely to happen though. If he's a full-time starter, he'll get to SORT OF void those last 2 years.

What SORT OF voiding means is that he's still not a FA; the Jets can buy back those last 2 years for between $14-20M (don't know what the criteria are for the disparity in buy-back $)

The thing that I didn't see anywhere is:

What happens in years 5-6 if Revis doesn't reach those incentives? Is it still a 6-year deal? If so, what's he paid in years 5 and 6?

I must have this information. Max, please use the JN press pass to find out for me.

So basically, I'd say Revis is on the verge of a 4 year deal with $11 million guarenteed and making around $20 million. Okay. If he is having a good career, after 3 or 4 years, he would be extended anyway.

I must have this information. Max, please use the JN press pass to find out for me.

It is a good question. Can I buy you a one month "Ask The Experts" pass so you can get this information? Sadly, I don't know.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived