Leftwich complaining about QB situation in Jacksonville

faba

Leftwich: Organization at fault

The way the QB debate was handled "opens the door for stuff," he says.

By MICHAEL C. WRIGHT, The Times-Union

Byron Leftwich can't blame the fans about dissent regarding the Jaguars' quarterback situation. The culpability for such controversy lies squarely within the organization, he said earlier this week.

[url=http://www.jacksonville.com/jaxadmatch/]

"You got to understand it's an environment that we created ourselves," Leftwich said Monday. "I don't think the environment has nothing to do really with me and Dave [Garrard]. I think it has something to do with the way things [have] been handled in the past."

Leftwich was referring to the manner in which he was benched last season after sustaining a mysterious ankle injury two days before the Jaguars' 27-7 loss in October at Houston. Leftwich played poorly against the Texans, but coach Jack Del Rio said the injury wasn't a factor in the quarterback's performance. Del Rio changed his mind one day later.

Citing Leftwich's injured ankle, Del Rio eventually benched the quarterback for the next 10 games, electing to go with Garrard for the remainder of the season. Leftwich underwent ankle surgery and was placed on injured reserve.

"Nothing negative or anything," Leftwich said. "I just think the way things [were] handled in the past, it opens the door for stuff like this to be talked about. No matter how we feel in-house, it leaves the door open for these conversations."

Leftwich hasn't changed his stance on the statements he made last season. Del Rio cited Leftwich's injury as the reason for his benching, and the quarterback kept saying he was healthy enough to play.

Leftwich said Monday that he would have postponed surgery until the end of last season had he been allowed to continue playing. He also doesn't regret the strain the situation put on his relationship with Del Rio.

"I still felt as though I could help this football team win," Leftwich said. "You guys know me, man. I'm gonna try to be as honest with you guys as I possibly can. Everything I said and felt in October, I still feel the same this day because I'm not a guy that's just gonna make up stuff in my head. That's the way I felt. That's not gonna change."

But what has is Del Rio's opinion on how the situation should have been handled. Del Rio named Leftwich the starter Feb. 22 while the coach was in Indianapolis for the NFL Combine.

In the hours before publicly making the announcement, Del Rio admitted to mishandling the situation, thus opening the door for a quarterback controversy involving Leftwich and Garrard.

Del Rio also expressed those sentiments to Leftwich during the offseason.

"There were some awkward situations," Del Rio said in February. "Where it was awkward, I see that there would've been an ability to handle things differently." michael.wright@jacksonville.com, (904) 359-4657

Leftwich: Organization at fault

The way the QB debate was handled "opens the door for stuff," he says.

By MICHAEL C. WRIGHT, The Times-Union

Byron Leftwich can't blame the fans about dissent regarding the Jaguars' quarterback situation. The culpability for such controversy lies squarely within the organization, he said earlier this week.

"You got to understand it's an environment that we created ourselves," Leftwich said Monday. "I don't think the environment has nothing to do really with me and Dave [Garrard]. I think it has something to do with the way things [have] been handled in the past."

Leftwich was referring to the manner in which he was benched last season after sustaining a mysterious ankle injury two days before the Jaguars' 27-7 loss in October at Houston. Leftwich played poorly against the Texans, but coach Jack Del Rio said the injury wasn't a factor in the quarterback's performance. Del Rio changed his mind one day later.

Citing Leftwich's injured ankle, Del Rio eventually benched the quarterback for the next 10 games, electing to go with Garrard for the remainder of the season. Leftwich underwent ankle surgery and was placed on injured reserve.

"Nothing negative or anything," Leftwich said. "I just think the way things [were] handled in the past, it opens the door for stuff like this to be talked about. No matter how we feel in-house, it leaves the door open for these conversations."

Leftwich hasn't changed his stance on the statements he made last season. Del Rio cited Leftwich's injury as the reason for his benching, and the quarterback kept saying he was healthy enough to play.

Leftwich said Monday that he would have postponed surgery until the end of last season had he been allowed to continue playing. He also doesn't regret the strain the situation put on his relationship with Del Rio.

"I still felt as though I could help this football team win," Leftwich said. "You guys know me, man. I'm gonna try to be as honest with you guys as I possibly can. Everything I said and felt in October, I still feel the same this day because I'm not a guy that's just gonna make up stuff in my head. That's the way I felt. That's not gonna change."

But what has is Del Rio's opinion on how the situation should have been handled. Del Rio named Leftwich the starter Feb. 22 while the coach was in Indianapolis for the NFL Combine.

In the hours before publicly making the announcement, Del Rio admitted to mishandling the situation, thus opening the door for a quarterback controversy involving Leftwich and Garrard.

Del Rio also expressed those sentiments to Leftwich during the offseason.

"There were some awkward situations," Del Rio said in February. "Where it was awkward, I see that there would've been an ability to handle things differently." michael.wright@jacksonville.com, (904) 359-4657

crying_baby.gif

Well, they do have a great defense, but Del Rio is an offensive genius! Have all the athletic positions filled by big, slow, lumbering players, including receivers that cannot catch and the second fattest QB in the NFL, who has a howitzer arm, but his receivers are too slow and stupid to be able to catch the ball.

Well, they do have a great defense, but Del Rio is an offensive genius! Have all the athletic positions filled by big, slow, lumbering players, including receivers that cannot catch and the second fattest QB in the NFL, who has a howitzer arm, but his receivers are too slow and stupid to be able to catch the ball.

Troy Smith and Seneca Wallace are faster.

Archived