Pat Summitt is back on the market!!

Matt39

Summitt files for divorce after 27 years of marriage

MARYVILLE, Tenn. -- Tennessee's Pat Summitt, the winningest basketball coach in NCAA history, filed for divorce after nearly 27 years of marriage.

Irreconcilable differences were cited in the petition filed Wednesday in the Knoxville suburb of Maryville. She and husband R.B. Summit will have been married 27 years on Aug. 23.

The couple has one child, Tyler, who will be 17 next month. The petition said there are no custody issues and the teen is living with his mother. R.B. Summitt is a banker in Sevierville.

Summitt has 947 NCAA victories since she began coaching the Lady Vols in 1974. The Hall of Fame coach has led the Lady Vols to seven NCAA championships, including in April when they defeated Rutgers.

Summitt "considers it a private matter and doesn't want to make a statement about it," Tennessee athletics spokeswoman Tiffany Carpenter said.

The couple separated several months ago.

"I think she is doing all right," said her lawyer, Bernie Bernstein. "She has been getting ready for the new season. Her son continues to live with her. He is in school. Things really haven't changed that much for her."

Summitt won her 880th game as coach of the Lady Vols during the NCAA Tournament in 2005, surpassing Dean Smith, the former North Carolina coach and previous record-holder.

In 2006, Tennessee made Summitt the first millionaire coach in women's basketball with a contract paying $1.125 million. Summitt will be paid $1.5 million in the final year of the six-year contract in 2011-12.

Summitt has been honored by Congress and inducted into the Basketball Hall of Fame and the Women's Basketball Hall of Fame.

This is shocking.

I thought for sure that she was a lesbian.

You may not be off base Troll - that could be the underlying basis for the big D.

I always was a little amazed she was a wife and mother - and whether she's gay or not I could care less. She's a hell of a coach/recruiter and person.

Archived