Mr. Camp Reporter...Jetcane that's you!

NIGHT STALKER

JC, I have one question after the fiasco last night. Did you notice anything different in Pennington's throws compared to his throws in camp?

Maybe there was a reason why he didn't throw in the first preseason game? I don't know...this game, preseason or not just took me by surprise.

JC, I have one question after the fiasco last night. Did you notice anything different in Pennington's throws compared to his throws in camp?

Maybe there was a reason why he didn't throw in the first preseason game? I don't know...this game, preseason or not just took me by surprise.

The guys in the other color uniforms caught them?

Seriously, let's look at the two interceptions.

1- Chad checks off the play at the LOS into a different play. He throws a short one over the middle into coverage and the DB jumps the pattern and picks it for six.

2- The pass protection breaks down, CP under pressure, throws a lazy, hanging pass out into the flat that is picked for six.

On the first int., velocity wasnt an issue as much as it was a mental mistake and a VERY poor decision to throw it there into that coverage. That was a just terrible decison, and he should know that he doesnt have the zip to thread the needle in that situation. Bad play, mostly a mental error, imo.

On the second int., that was a classic, poor int by CP. Rather than eat the ball or throw it away after Brick and Clark got beat on the LOS., he lobs one out into the flat and the DB jumps it and takes it the other way. Another poor decision on CP's part. The fact that the ball hung out there didnt help the bad decision he made.

Thinking back on the few short completions he had, i'd say those balls had about the same velocity as what I have seen in tc.

This game was a flip flop of what I have seen in practice.

-CP looked mentally rusty

-Brad Smith had some pocket presence and was able to locate receivers

-Clemens threw sharp passes that didnt flutter.

The biggest problem I noticed in the carry over from tc to a PS game was in the trenches.

It has been written (by me and others, too) that this year's camp has not been as brutal as last years. I think that needs to change. The OL and DL need to get more aggressive in practice so they dont look soft and flat in the game. They arent physical enough, and that is a direct carryover from the relatively non-physical tc they have had this summer. This goes for the LBs, too.

Maybe they have been working more on technique and assignments than on getting after it, but if the result is getting manhandled by the opposition, then that has to change. And after listening to Mangini's post-game comments on the radio last night, I think some things will change this week.

I think you're right JC from the morning papers thread it needs to and WILL change...party's over at Hofstra starting this week

I hope so. I think Ryno's great post this morning says it all.

btw, I just saw a replay of the second int., and it wasnt the velocity so much as the dumbness of the throw that resulted in a pick six. JMO.

I hope so. I think Ryno's great post this morning says it all.

btw, I just saw a replay of the second int., and it wasnt the velocity so much as the dumbness of the throw that resulted in a pick six. JMO.

Thanks again Cane; btw, I tried to rep you, but it says I must spread my rep herpes elsewhere first???:grin:

I agree about the INT's, they were both awful decisions. Uh, just watched the first one again; Buck calls sharper a "ball-hawking" safety, hardly. Williams flat out owned Brick's ear-hole!

If memory serves me correctly Sharper barely moved to get the first pick. Chad just kind of threw it at him.

They have video highlights at NFL.com now... go check it out... Chad just threw the ball into coverage with pressure coming at him... its a risky throw and usually the DB doesnt need to move... hence the term "into coverage"

I think you're right JC from the morning papers thread it needs to and WILL change...party's over at Hofstra starting this week

LOL - yeah they're going to be partying this week. They're going to party from the first thing in the morning till they get their bread and water for lunch. Then they're going to party all afternoon and into the evening. Can you imagine what's flashing through every one of the Jets minds about every 20 seconds? I'd love to hear a Coles quote about now regarding what he's anticipating next week. He'd probably just shudder.

...so we agree

No we dont agree... Chad was throwing to a receiver on the JETS who happened to be close to Sharper... you try to spin it like Chad flat out threw it to the D on purpose which is not the case..

If memory serves me correctly Sharper barely moved to get the first pick. Chad just kind of threw it at him.

I dont think the DB had to take more than a couple of steps toward the LOS to place himself in the spot where the receiver was to have run to catch the ball.

He didnt literally "jump", but it still is jumping the pattern.

I dont think the DB had to take more than a couple of steps toward the LOS to place himself in the spot where the receiver was to have run to catch the ball.

He didnt literally "jump", but it still is jumping the pattern.

yeah, I saw the highlight on the internet a few minutes ago. The Fox camera was on a tighter angle so all I saw was Sharper standing there waiting for the ball.

Archived