Broncos crying over Cowboys game

faba

Broncos say 'Boys violated the code

By MAC ENGEL

Star-Telegram Staff Writer

WADE PHILLIPS

Cowboys coach Wade Phillips wasn't in a defensive mood Sunday night, mostly because he doesn't feel the need to defend anything.

One night after some of the players asserted the Cowboys had violated the code of the preseason and played defense a little too aggressively in a 31-20 Dallas win, Phillips said his defense was just doing what it always does.

"We just played the way we play," Phillips said. "We're playing football and trying to win a game. That's what we're supposed to do."

It was the manner in which they played that irked the Broncos.

In the first half against the Broncos' starters, the Cowboys unleashed the pressure on second-year quarterback Jay Cutler, who was sacked once, hurried on nearly every throw and fumbled a handoff.

"They came out and game-planned us, blitzing every play," safety John Lynch told The Denver Post after the game. "They came after us. It's no excuse for the way we played. But I think they might have broken the code of ethics for the preseason."

Phillips put almost no stock in the comments, or the idea that he violated a secret code that says teams must hold back in exhibition football.

"They said he said it in jest. I don't put anything into it," Phillips said. "It's players talking after a game. I'm sure [broncos coach] Mike Shanahan is trying to get his team ready to play, and I'm trying to get my team ready to play. We helped each other out during the week, and we had some good practices."

The Broncos reportedly weren't happy because they felt the Cowboys blitzed more than they had in their scrimmages and practices during the week at Valley Ranch, taking advantage of a banged-up offensive line.

But that is what Phillips' defenses have always been about: pressure and rushing the passer.

"I don't think you have to defend something like that," Phillips said. "I don't think somebody can say you should play this or that. People say, 'Blitz.' It's our defense. We don't play blitz. We may zone blitz. But we've been doing that. And we did it in practice."

Lynch went so far as to say -- jokingly -- that the Cowboys played aggressively because it was against the Broncos, who fired Phillips as head coach in 1994.

"I don't know if Wade's [ticked] off the Broncos fired him, but it sure looked that way," Lynch told the Denver newspaper.

With both teams using their first-team starters in the first half, the Cowboys led 24-6 by the end of the first 30 minutes. After the game the Cowboys' defensive regulars were happy with the effort, but were ready to take it up a notch for the regular season.

"We still have a lot to go. And there is still a lot of stuff we haven't shown yet," defensive end Marcus Spears said. "What we're doing is a taste of what's going to be going on."

COWBOYS AT TEXANS, 7 P.M. SAT., KTVT/11

Broncos say 'Boys violated the code

By MAC ENGEL

Star-Telegram Staff Writer

WADE PHILLIPS

Cowboys coach Wade Phillips wasn't in a defensive mood Sunday night, mostly because he doesn't feel the need to defend anything.

One night after some of the players asserted the Cowboys had violated the code of the preseason and played defense a little too aggressively in a 31-20 Dallas win, Phillips said his defense was just doing what it always does.

"We just played the way we play," Phillips said. "We're playing football and trying to win a game. That's what we're supposed to do."

It was the manner in which they played that irked the Broncos.

In the first half against the Broncos' starters, the Cowboys unleashed the pressure on second-year quarterback Jay Cutler, who was sacked once, hurried on nearly every throw and fumbled a handoff.

"They came out and game-planned us, blitzing every play," safety John Lynch told The Denver Post after the game. "They came after us. It's no excuse for the way we played. But I think they might have broken the code of ethics for the preseason."

Phillips put almost no stock in the comments, or the idea that he violated a secret code that says teams must hold back in exhibition football.

"They said he said it in jest. I don't put anything into it," Phillips said. "It's players talking after a game. I'm sure [broncos coach] Mike Shanahan is trying to get his team ready to play, and I'm trying to get my team ready to play. We helped each other out during the week, and we had some good practices."

The Broncos reportedly weren't happy because they felt the Cowboys blitzed more than they had in their scrimmages and practices during the week at Valley Ranch, taking advantage of a banged-up offensive line.

But that is what Phillips' defenses have always been about: pressure and rushing the passer.

"I don't think you have to defend something like that," Phillips said. "I don't think somebody can say you should play this or that. People say, 'Blitz.' It's our defense. We don't play blitz. We may zone blitz. But we've been doing that. And we did it in practice."

Lynch went so far as to say -- jokingly -- that the Cowboys played aggressively because it was against the Broncos, who fired Phillips as head coach in 1994.

"I don't know if Wade's [ticked] off the Broncos fired him, but it sure looked that way," Lynch told the Denver newspaper.

With both teams using their first-team starters in the first half, the Cowboys led 24-6 by the end of the first 30 minutes. After the game the Cowboys' defensive regulars were happy with the effort, but were ready to take it up a notch for the regular season.

"We still have a lot to go. And there is still a lot of stuff we haven't shown yet," defensive end Marcus Spears said. "What we're doing is a taste of what's going to be going on."

COWBOYS AT TEXANS, 7 P.M. SAT., KTVT/11

VIOLATED THE CODE OF PRESEASON!!!!!!!! ARE YOU KIDDING ME??? You're telling me that not only the starters dont play the whole game, but they arent playing at their best? And we are being charged full price for this???

Oh, and eff you Broncos... you are a bunch of whining "pouha's" Its tackle football, not 2 hand touch.

I remember a few seasons ago you Jets fans were doing the same kind of whining after some teams sent a blitz on your beloved Chad Pennington.

Holding back in a game like football would produce more injuries I'd think. Thats why I could never play co-rec softball or anything where you'd have to cut back on how you instinctively play the game.

Archived