All-time Red Sox team

Blackout

C-

1B-Jimmie Foxx

2B-

SS-

3B-Wade Boggs

RF-Manny Ramirez (hes been a RS long enough)

CF-Tris Speaker

LF-Ted Williams

DH-

SP1-Cy Young

SP2-Roger Clemens

SP3-Pedro Martinez

SP4-Babe Ruth

SP5-Lefty Grove

RP1-Eckersly

RP1-

C-Carlton Fisk

1B-Jimmie Foxx

2B- Bobby Doerr

SS-Nomar Garciaparra

3B-Wade Boggs

RF-Ted Williams

CF-Tris Speaker

LF-Manny Ramirez

DH-David Ortiz {Mo Vaughn or Jim Rice?}

SP1-Cy Young

SP2-Roger Clemens

SP3-Pedro Martinez

SP4-Curt Schilling

SP5-Lefty Grove

RP1-Dennis Eckersly

RP1-Babe Ruth

Wasn't Eckerlsey primarly a starter with the Sox though ?

C- Carlton Fisk/Jason Varitek

1B-Jimmie Foxx/George Scott

2B- Bobby Doerr/Marty Barrett

SS- Johnny Pesky/Nomar

3B-Wade Boggs/Johnny Pesky

RF-Yaz/Dwight Evans

CF-Tris Speaker/Fred Lynn

LF-Ted Williams/Jim Rice

DH- Manny/Big Papi/Mike Greenwell

SP1-Cy Young

SP2-Roger Clemens

SP3-Pedro Martinez

SP4-Babe Ruth

SP5-Lefty Grove

RP1-Eckersly

RP1-Dick Radatz

DO OVER ... Eck wasn't even that good with the Sox ... he blossomed as a RP after he left

So I'm replacing him with EL Tiante =D>

C-Carlton Fisk

1B-Jimmie Foxx

2B- Bobby Doerr

SS-Nomar Garciaparra

3B-Wade Boggs

RF-Ted Williams

CF-Tris Speaker

LF-Manny Ramirez

DH-David Ortiz

SP1-Cy Young

SP2-Roger Clemens

SP3-Pedro Martinez

SP4-Curt Schilling

SP5-Lefty Grove

RP1-Luis Tiant

RP1-Babe Ruth

DO OVER ... Eck wasn't even that good with the Sox ... he blossomed as a RP after he left

So I'm replacing him with EL Tiante =D>

C-Carlton Fisk

1B-Jimmie Foxx

2B- Bobby Doerr

SS-Nomar Garciaparra

3B-Wade Boggs

RF-Ted Williams

CF-Tris Speaker

LF-Manny Ramirez

DH-David Ortiz

SP1-Cy Young

SP2-Roger Clemens

SP3-Pedro Martinez

SP4-Curt Schilling

SP5-Lefty Grove

RP1-Luis Tiant

RP1-Babe Ruth

but curt schilling has only been a red sock for one season, that wouldn't make much sense

(sigh) You guys got the no-brainers...but you Yankee fans have no idea what the REAL all-time Red Spx team would look like. Move aside, and let me show you how it's done:

1B: Jimmie Foxx

2B: Bobby Doerr

SS: Rico Petricelli/Johnny Pesky

3B: Wade...bleccccchhh...Boggs

C: Pudge Fisk (duh!)

RF: Dewey Evans

LF: Teddy Ballgame

CF: Freddie Lynn

DH: Jim Rice/Manny Ramirez

SP1: Cy Young

SP2: Babe Ruth

SP3: Roger Clemens

SP4: Smoky Joe Wood (duh!)

SP5: El Tiante

RP: Dick "the Monster" Radatz

RP: Tim Wakefield

Honorable Mention: Yaz, Tony C, Nomar, Dom DiMaggio, Big Papi, Jason Varitek

MGR: Joe Cronin

Bench Coach: Bill Carrigan

(sigh) You guys got the no-brainers...but you Yankee fans have no idea what the REAL all-time Red Spx team would look like. Move aside, and let me show you how it's done:

RP: d!ck "the Monster" Radatz

JBF, the only change that I'd make to that team is making Babe Ruth my ace. Had he stayed a pitcher, he' likely be considered the greatest pitcher ever. Did you know that Ty Cobb hit somewhere around the Mendoza line against him?

Okay. Why not Pedro instead of Tiant ?

JBF, the only change that I'd make to that team is making Babe Ruth my ace. Had he stayed a pitcher, he' likely be considered the greatest pitcher ever. Did you know that Ty Cobb hit somewhere around the Mendoza line against him?

Last year a Ty Cobb letter went on sale at an auction. Ty was writing to his biographer Al Stump. It seems to fit in here.

------------------------------------------------------------6-12-60--------

Dear Al--

Not much is remembered of Ruth the pitcher. But I can testify thay he was left-handed dynamite. Could have ranked among the greats had he not to outfieldering and slugging. In 45 or 50 times at bat against him I never touched him for more than a single.

He had a pretty fair curve, a big fastball and excellent control. Look at his earned-run average. In 1220 inning pitched ruth had a 2.26 ERA.

In 31 World Series innings he had a remarkable 0.87 ERA and Babe won all three games he pitched. I choked up the bat and somehow managed to average .325 against him over a five-year period. But I never hit him for extra bases.

The best solution seemed to be to distract him - to get his goat. Should have squeezed a few more years but drank too much. Don't put that in the book.

Ty Cobb

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Officially Cobb's record against Ruth is 22 x 67 = .328.

Tony Conigliarro.... [-o<[-o<

Who knows what he would have done without the horrible beaning,

Rico along with Ernie Banks was a rare power hitting SS.

Mo Vaughn = Honarable mention at the very least.

I hear you guys on the "Why not Pedro and Mo Vaughn" selections...

Were both guys phenominal? Yes, without question. But they didnt epitomize the Red Sox organization and Red Sox Nation the way the others did (do.) Quite the opposite actually.

Mo and Petie came up waaaay too short in big spots also. I cant in good conscience put them pn my list. The all-time Red Sox team transcends mundane statistics as does the all-time Yankee team, I'm sure you'd all admit!?! I cant believe someone would put Reggie Jackson on their all time Yankee roster.

Inexplicably, none of the posters put Thurmond Munson on their respective teams...tough to imagine. I wouldnt ever dream of making out an all-time NYY roster, but I know The Captain...the real Captain...should be on there.

I hear you guys on the "Why not Pedro and Mo Vaughn" selections...

Were both guys phenominal? Yes, without question. But they didnt epitomize the Red Sox organization and Red Sox Nation the way the others did (do.) Quite the opposite actually.

Mo and Petie came up waaaay too short in big spots also. I cant in good conscience put them pn my list. The all-time Red Sox team transcends mundane statistics as does the all-time Yankee team, I'm sure you'd all admit!?! I cant believe someone would put Reggie Jackson on their all time Yankee roster.

Inexplicably, none of the posters put Thurmond Munson on their respective teams...tough to imagine. I wouldnt ever dream of making out an all-time NYY roster, but I know The Captain...the real Captain...should be on there.

It's tough to put Munson on that list when you have guys like Berra, Dickey and you can even throw Elston Howard into the mix.

Munson would probably be third after both Berra and Dickey but slightly ahead of Howard.

The Jackson thing is understandable. When I think of Reggie I think of him as an Oakland Athletic. Same with Rickey Henderson. Both had great years in New York and there is no way they can break the outfield of Mantle, DiMaggio and Ruth.

Reggie's power numbers though make him a nice DH on some lists.

It's tough to put Munson on that list when you have guys like Berra, Dickey and you can even throw Elston Howard into the mix.

Munson would probably be third after both Berra and Dickey but slightly ahead of Howard.

The Jackson thing is understandable. When I think of Reggie I think of him as an Oakland Athletic. Same with Rickey Henderson. Both had great years in New York and there is no way they can break the outfield of Mantle, DiMaggio and Ruth.

Reggie's power numbers though make him a nice DH on some lists.

JBF, Berra and Dickey are both HOF'ers ... and Berra recieved the most votes for the all century team they announced at fenway a few years back

It was not a slight on Munson to leave him off the team ... he was certainly good enough ... he just got caught in a numbers game behind two legit HOF'ers who both deserved their induction without question

As for Rickey and Reggie, Rickey is arguably the greatest leadoff hitter in baseball history ... certainly the greatest base stealer as well ... and the Yankees had him in his prime for some of his best years ... so I have to start Rickey and make him our leadoff hitter

Reggie is the first PH off my bench if I need a bomb, while Mattingly is the first PH off my bench if I need a basehit

Archived