Where are the athletes?

4HCrew

While watching other games yesterday it just seemed like several other NFL teams have fast quick explosive athletes making plays all over the field, especially on defense. Even in the Denver Pitt game, players everywhere. Maybe it is time for the Jets to stop getting character guys and captains and go for the explosive players that will win games. Look at the money spent on guys like Ellis, Robertson, K Coleman and the likes...are these explosive athletes?

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

While watching other games yesterday it just seemed like several other NFL teams have fast quick explosive athletes making plays all over the field, especially on defense. Even in the Denver Pitt game, players everywhere. Maybe it is time for the Jets to stop getting character guys and captains and go for the explosive players that will win games. Look at the money spent on guys like Ellis, Robertson, K Coleman and the likes...are these explosive athletes?

I should change this...where are the impact pro bowl like players?

Dumbass. We have the savior Jonathan Vilma. He's a stud in one particular scheme, if there is a solid NT in front of him, another DT in front of him, and two pro-bowl DE's in front of him.

Hopefully Mangini feels he has enough of his base of "character" guys and gets some playmakers to stop making them look as crappy as they are.

It's dumbass to keep picking on the same guy when the entire defense hasnt stepped up. Who has stepped up out of the eleven guys playing defense?

I think revis has had a decent rookie season, ans is a good ballplayer, but some of you who keep blaming the entire failure of the defense on one guy who at least has made his share of tackles is just anal.

It's dumbass to keep picking on the same guy when the entire defense hasnt stepped up. Who has stepped up out of the eleven guys playing defense?

I think revis has had a decent rookie season, ans is a good ballplayer, but some of you who keep blaming the entire failure of the defense on one guy who at least has made his share of tackles is just anal.

Good post JC.

This defense is rebuilding, and it will be for the next year or two, get used to it.

First off, I am never dumbass, dumbass. Perhaps I'm overly critical of a couple of players like Vilma, but it's because I keep hearing what a great playmaker he is. Like if we moved to a 4-3 he'd turn into Ray Lewis II like planting some magic beans.

Hey, I can appreciate you having a tough time with criticism of a former Hurricane; particularly one who was so good in Miami. But he's looked between mediocre & garbage for some time now.

And yes, you are 100% right: the entire defense hasn't stepped up. But it's natural to be more critical of those we took in round one (Vilma, DRob, Thomas, Pennington, Ellis, and - in the past - Becht) than a 5th-rounder like Pociask who has barely seen the field or a 4th-rounder like Brad Smith who is still slow to pick up the position we drafted him to play.

Randy Moss is in New England,Terrell Owens is in Dallas,MANY protested when I said WE need impact players like this on the Jets.

Well at 1-6 you get what you put on the field and we have NOTHING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Randy Moss is in New England,Terrell Owens is in Dallas,MANY protested when I said WE need impact players like this on the Jets.

Well at 1-6 you get what you put on the field and we have NOTHING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

TJones was an impact player for the Bears.

Coles has always been an impact player for us.

Cotch has become an impact player

The biggest problem on offense is the OL... No pass or run blocking.

No, we dont need the extra mouth in TO blaming all his teammates in the locker room and guaranteeing victories against teams we'll never beat...

No, we dont need the extra mouth in TO blaming all his teammates in the locker room and guaranteeing victories against teams we'll never beat...

Yes we need the do gooders the Jets type players who get beaten week after week.1-6 in the 2007 campaign.This is getting old and the fans deserve better! DAMMIT

Yes we need the do gooders the Jets type players who get beaten week after week.1-6 in the 2007 campaign.This is getting old and the fans deserve better! DAMMIT

Why do we need TO?

Will he block for the QB?

Will he stop the run?

Stop the pass?

We have enough talent at WR, we dont need his mouth in the locker room.

First off, I am never dumbass, dumbass. Perhaps I'm overly critical of a couple of players like Vilma, but it's because I keep hearing what a great playmaker he is. Like if we moved to a 4-3 he'd turn into Ray Lewis II like planting some magic beans.

Hey, I can appreciate you having a tough time with criticism of a former Hurricane; particularly one who was so good in Miami. But he's looked between mediocre & garbage for some time now.

And yes, you are 100% right: the entire defense hasn't stepped up. But it's natural to be more critical of those we took in round one (Vilma, DRob, Thomas, Pennington, Ellis, and - in the past - Becht) than a 5th-rounder like Pociask who has barely seen the field or a 4th-rounder like Brad Smith who is still slow to pick up the position we drafted him to play.

The overly critical part is tiresome.

I'd think that knowledgeable fans would understand that a guy who is playing out of position is at a disadvantage, regardless of what round he was drafted in a few years ago. He has been a good player for the Jets before they changed schemes, and it is irrefutable that they changed schemes w/o the centerpiece- a NT. That has adversely affected him more than others.

I hope he is out of here after this season, and goes to a team where he enjoys playing football again. It will be the Jets loss, but i'll root for my Canes no matter where they play.

BTW Mcgahee is leading the NFL in rushing, and Jon Beason is leading the panthers in tackkles. Devin hester is doing pretty good.

It's a shame when coaches dont put their good players in the best position to excel, and this CS has failed to utilize their available talent.

The DC is on shaky ground, the scheme hasnt worked yet, no one else has stepped up, yet Vilma is singled out. It's irrational for a smart fan to keep harping on that and not see the big picture.

Vilma had a very good first year, a good second year, a not so good third year, and is having a suckful fourth year. does anybody really think he would be a stud, even in a 4-3? He did not improve from his first to second year, when we were still a 4-3. Vilma needs to get bigger. And stronger. Why doesn't he?

Where is the pride? when parcells got here he chased Hugh Douglas out because Hugh cried about double teams after Jet victories! He brought in some journeymen for the DL who overachieved like crazy. those guys had pride. i do not see pride. you can prepare til you are blue in the face, you can work harder than anyone, but pride is also necessary, particularly when teams step up and challenge you. I don't see that. every week teams make a run at us and we do not stand up to it. if we can do it in the first half we can do it in the second. where is the pride?

Thomas Jones was an impact player for the Bears on Madden, maybe. He was just an average running back on the real life Bears. His arms sure are big, though.

our offensive unit is exactly the same as last year except kendall. the offseason is like a chess match for most teams. Strategically trying to make thier teams better!!!. our deffense is the same as last year except d revis,and harris ,and e doesn`t even start. most every team that we have played has gotten better,and we stayed the same. no bg moves in the off season. average draft. our bigest problem isn`t penny. it`s our o-line,and d-line. we did nothing to address these problems in the draft. we wasted a pic on a 1AA right tackle who has never seen a pass rush.we los t asecond round pic to move,and get a corner when we could of had one fall to us for less money,and no hold out. i swear i wouldn`t be upset if we just rafted o-line,and d-line in the draft next spring. if we had run blocking,and pass block chad can move the ball. there is nothing wrong with nickle ,and diming a deffense like chad does it may be boring,but it`s what he`s good at. ,but it`s hard when you are running away from deffenders half the game.have you noticed chad doesn`t even do his usual play action play fakes? why?cause someone(s) is always in his face. it`s not villmas fault the d-rob isn`t a true 2 gapper. if we go back to the 4-3 we have the personel. b thomas is a true 4-3 d-end,and so is ellis. d-rob ,and cj mosely are true 4-3 tackkles very quick of the ball. we all know vilma can be our ray lewis. our problem will be at the out side line backers.

trick plays can only work so much it got us to 10-6 last year,but now people are realizing brad smith is not randel el. he`s not really a decoy. our true play makers on offense are coles, cotch,tj,leon washington(steal of the draft),and chris baker(the most under rated te in the league) they all have great play making abillities,but what god are they if we can`t block ,and get them the ball

Thomas Jones was an impact player for the Bears on Madden, maybe. He was just an average running back on the real life Bears. His arms sure are big, though.

Umm, he had over 1k rushing yards the past two seasons and made a pro bowl i believe.

Oh, and he was splitting with Benson.

Thomas Jones has never made a pro-bowl despite the added name-recognition that goes with being a top-10 draft pick.

He was 11th in the league in rushing yards last year

24th in yards per carry

He was in a 9-way tie for 20th in rushing TD's last year (tied with such greats as Kevan Barlow)

He also averaged a pathetic 4.3 yards per reception. Lowest # I've ever seen.

That being said, if the OL is solid, we could do plenty worse. But - particularly at age 29 - he wasn't worth trading down from an almost 1st-round pick to an almost 3rd-round pick. Let alone a $12M signing bonus on a 4-year deal. Not by a long shot.

Thomas Jones has never made a pro-bowl despite the added name-recognition that goes with being a top-10 draft pick.

He was 11th in the league in rushing yards last year

24th in yards per carry

He was in a 9-way tie for 20th in rushing TD's last year (tied with such greats as Kevan Barlow)

He also averaged a pathetic 4.3 yards per reception. Lowest # I've ever seen.

That being said, if the OL is solid, we could do plenty worse. But - particularly at age 29 - he wasn't worth trading down from an almost 1st-round pick to an almost 3rd-round pick. Let alone a $12M signing bonus on a 4-year deal. Not by a long shot.

I dont know...

You think we couldve done better with the early 2nd rder then TJ?

Umm, he had over 1k rushing yards the past two seasons and made a pro bowl i believe.

Oh, and he was splitting with Benson.

He has never made the Pro Bowl and he has two 1,000 yard seasons out of 7 in the NFL.

He's never been an "impact player", as you called him earlier. Just because a guy rushes for 1,000 yards doesn't make him an impact player. Kevan Barlow once had a 1,000 yard season.

Oh, and he was splitting with Garrison Hearst.

He has never made the Pro Bowl and he has two 1,000 yard seasons out of 7 in the NFL.

He's never been an "impact player", as you called him earlier. Just because a guy rushes for 1,000 yards doesn't make him an impact player. Kevan Barlow once had a 1,000 yard season.

Oh, and he was splitting with Garrison Hearst.

TJ was an impact rusher for the Bears.

The moment we did that trade one IM'd me saying the Jets are lucky to get him at such a low price.

Ask a non-homer Bears fan, like the one that posts here that had been warning people in vain about Thomas Jones all offseason.

The Bears trade a 29-year old RB with two career 1,000 yard seasons and zero Pro Bowl appearances for a second rounder and it's a STEAL?

You know what would have been a steal? Randy Moss for a fourth rounder. Or Justin McCareins for Rueben Droughns, who is just as good as Thomas Jones and cost only a ****ty fourth receiver.

The moment we did that trade one IM'd me saying the Jets are lucky to get him at such a low price.

Jones was considered a bust for years. He had a couple of good seasons as a shared RB in Chicago, but the Bears won because of Defense, not Jones.

It was a nice trade, but made no sense to me. None of us knew it then, but it's obvious the Jets knew Kendall was gone and they weren't planning on drafting or trading for another OL. And drafting a guy that might not ever play in Bender is pointless in the discussion of a 29 year old RB.

People fawned all over the trade when in reality, it did nothing to improve this team. He was never a RB who ran through teams. He was a RB who had 2 good years behind a very good OL in Chicago. He's better than Benson, but a steal isn't dumping your 2nd round pick and getting a guy who will be gone before you become a good team again.

Jones was considered a bust for years. He had a couple of good seasons as a shared RB in Chicago, but the Bears won because of Defense, not Jones.

It was a nice trade, but made no sense to me. None of us knew it then, but it's obvious the Jets knew Kendall was gone and they weren't planning on drafting or trading for another OL. And drafting a guy that might not ever play in Bender is pointless in the discussion of a 29 year old RB.

People fawned all over the trade when in reality, it did nothing to improve this team. He was never a RB who ran through teams. He was a RB who had 2 good years behind a very good OL in Chicago. He's better than Benson, but a steal isn't dumping your 2nd round pick and getting a guy who will be gone before you become a good team again.

Jones was not a good acquistion, at least this stage in his career. The Jets traded the 35th pick in the draft and gave $5 mil a year to a 29 year old RB who wasn't that great to begin with. He's not LT, LJ or Adrian Peterson. Sh*t, he's not even Lendale White or Kevin Jones. He's above average at best and needs a very good o-line like he had in Chicago.

I'm with you on your analysis but the Jones trade deserves nothing good to be said about it.

Archived