Vilma, Mangreeni at odds- Bergen record

Kentucky Jet

Vilma, Mangini at odds

Thursday, October 25, 2007

By J.P. PELZMAN

STAFF WRITER

HEMPSTEAD, N.Y. -- Jonathan Vilma did not practice Wednesday, and was listed on the Jets' injury report with the word "knee" next to his name.

But here's the problem: Vilma said earlier this week that he wasn't injured.

As Eric Mangini said Wednesday, "sometimes you're going to see it differently as a player and as a coach."

Obviously, this is one of those cases. Vilma missed several plays during the second half of the Jets' 38-31 loss to Cincinnati on Sunday, and afterward was humming to himself at times while reporters were crowded around him in the locker room.

When asked why he was humming, he replied, "I can't really say how I feel. ... You guys [reporters] will take it and run with it."

Vilma was not in the locker room Monday when reporters were there. On Tuesday, Vilma was asked during his weekly spot on WFAN-AM why he was removed from the game.

He replied, "It definitely wasn't because I was injured. ... I had no idea why I was taken out. I didn't even know I was going to be taken out until I was taken out."

In the interview, Vilma called the move a "coach's decision."

Vilma also wasn't available in the locker room Wednesday. Mangini said that he was having tests on his injured knee, although the coach didn't specify which knee was hurt. A message seeking comment from Tony Fleming, one of Vilma's representatives, was not immediately returned.

Vilma had only three tackles against the Bengals and was pushed around quite often by the Bengals' blockers. Mangini said Monday that Vilma's performance was "dramatically affected" by the injury and repeated those sentiments Wednesday.

"I think the injury had an impact on his performance," said Mangini, who indicated that he explained he move to Vilma on Tuesday.

Mangini compared Vilma to wide receiver Laveranues Coles and former Jets great Curtis Martin in terms of his ability to play through pain.

"Jon has a lot of Laveranues in him and you love that about him, you really do," Mangini said. "You respect that about him. Like Curtis Martin, [Vilma's attitude is] it doesn't matter what my status is in terms of physically, I am going to play. That's toughness. I appreciate that. Sometimes you have to look at it and say, 'Is it counterproductive?' "

This is the second time in the last two weeks that Mangini and one of his players have had a difference of opinion. Tight end Chris Baker was critical of the Jets' play-calling in the waning minutes of their loss to Philadelphia on Oct. 14, and was rebuked by Mangini for speaking out. Baker, who suffered a back injury in that game, didn't make the trip to Cincinnati, but said Wednesday that he missed the game for medical reasons, not disciplinary.

"No, [the Jets] would never do that," Baker said when asked if he was left home because of his comments. "They want to win. [The comments] had nothing to do with it."

BRIEFS: Baker practiced on a limited basis Wednesday, just as he did last week. Besides Vilma, the Jets had three new names on their injury report. Wide receiver Justin McCareins (calf), cornerback Hank Poteat (chest) and tight end Sean Ryan (knee) all practiced full. ... The Jets' home game against Pittsburgh on Nov. 18 has been moved from 1 p.m. to 4:05. ... Buffalo starting defensive end Chad Kelsay (ankle) sat out practice. His lone sack of the season came in the Bills' 17-14 win over the Jets on Sept. 30.

E-mail: pelzman@northjersey.com

Wednesday, October 24, 2007

By J.P. PELZMAN, Bergen Record

Coach Eric Mangini keeps bemoaning the Jets' "inconsistency" during their current four-game losing streak.

But more likely, this simply is who the Jets are in 2007, as they have been unable to match what the 2006 team did. And for that, general manager Mike Tannenbaum has to take some heat.

During the off-season, a New England organization that lost in the AFC Championship Game made major moves.

Meanwhile, the Jets, who lost to the Patriots in the wild-card round, seemed content to just tweak their team, as if it were only a couple of players away from a Super Bowl appearance.

Here were the major free agent signings the Jets made in March: fullback Darian Barnes (a good blocking back who has fewer offensive touches this season than center Nick Mangold), linebacker David Bowens (a situational pass rusher who has been underutilized), quarterback Marques Tuiasosopo (an insurance policy) and defensive end Kenyon Coleman (a career backup who fits the 3-4 well). The Jets reportedly entered the season about $10 million under the salary cap.

He was taken out cause he was getting BLOWN off the line every time and cant shed a block.

Hey check your USER CP in a day and let me know if you have any negative rep. I agree with what you said. I just want to make sure the Miami U Defense Fund that we setup is working properly.

I think this whole alledged "rift" between Mangini and Vilma is only in the minds of the media.

Yeah, Vilma claimed he wasn't pulled due to injury because 1) in his mind we wants to play through it and 2) he knows he can't talk about injuries.

But that doesn't mean he's not injured.

I think I also read somewhere that he's Mangini's "pet".

So if anything, this "rift" is much ado over nothing. I do hope his injury is not too severe and hope he can return to play ASAP.

vinnys: And you know exactly what I'm talking about.

;)

You know, you can't blame vilma for being pissed. He lit it up the first year he was here. He did it because he and the coaches worked together. Mangini is forcing schemes on defense that his players can't succeed in. The more I think about the more I think Mangini is an idiot.

:character0183:

I hope he stays in the division and haunts mangini twice every season.

was that really reporting by pelzman?? All he did was regurgitate comments made by Vilma and Mangini since sunday... and who knows who is really telling the truth.

He provided nothing new for us because he doesnt know how to be a good reporter. If we have a rift in the locker room its because of jackass reporters like this.

Archived