Great Article about QB Passer Rating

Iceman88

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/writers/dr_z/10/25/rating.system/index.html

This article describes everything that is wrong about the passer rating stat. It pretty much explains how its calculated, why its outdated and how all of the numbers are extremely inflated. Considering everyone who defends Chad brings up his passer rating constantly I thought this would be interesting.

I think thats a decent article but some of the examples of QB who had "high ratings yet los"t he used were awful:

Chad Pennington: 111.2- Did this mention the running game?? The Defence??? No, Chad did not lose us this game, every D should be fit to defend a 13 point second half lead!!!!

Byron Leftwich: 97.2-Eh, Got injured. While they were winning

Sage Rosenfels: 91.4-Eh, didnt start. Came in while they were losing and produced a great 4th quarter display. IMO he had a great game

Donovan McNabb: 91.1 - If his D doesnt give up something like 97 yrds in 2 mins then he wins. He had a decent enough game.

They were talking about Chad vs Eli 2 weeks ago -- maybe that was a thread here, I forget actually. They had similar ratings. There seasons were not similar though.

Definitely agree, it is not a good #. Completion % is all that matters though! We all know this.

:fighting0050:

They were talking about Chad vs Eli 2 weeks ago -- maybe that was a thread here, I forget actually. They had similar ratings. There seasons were not similar though.

Definitely agree, it is not a good #. Completion % is all that matters though! We all know this.

:fighting0050:

YAY MAX WITH THE NEW SMILEY!!:thumbup:

I think thats a decent article but some of the examples of QB who had "high ratings yet los"t he used were awful:

Chad Pennington: 111.2- Did this mention the running game?? The Defence??? No, Chad did not lose us this game, every D should be fit to defend a 13 point second half lead!!!!

Sage Rosenfels: 91.4-Eh, didnt start. Came in while they were losing and produced a great 4th quarter display. IMO he had a great game

Donovan McNabb: 91.1 - If his D doesnt give up something like 97 yrds in 2 mins then he wins. He had a decent enough game.

Oh, heck. Chad DID lose us that game. The breakdown of the D and the inability of us to generate a rushing attack are largely at the door of Chad who allows defenses to greatly compress the field. His drop offs in the second half and especially fourth quarter have kept the defense on the field until they are tired and beat. And still we always seem to have a chance to win anyway and Chad throws a wounded duck interception. Chad is the CORE of our teams problems.

And never has it be more obvious that QB rating is totally useless. He has a QB rating, but is clearly at the very very bottom of NFL quarterbacks now.

Your points are good one Irish Jet, but I must counter one thing. Every D should be fit to defend a 13 point lead at halftime-not necessarily so. NFL teams regularly score 13 points in a half of football. It's not out of the realm. It is fair to say that every NFL D should hold a 13 point halftime lead assuming the offense doesn't decide to take a nap for the second half. Now before you go flipping that Irish temper at me, realize I am aware the D **** the bed in the second half, but the offense did so just as badly as well. It's a 2 way street. If the D held them to 2 TD's and a FG, we'd lose the game (not counting the useless hail mary at the end). 2 TD's and a FG is more than you want to allow, but it isn't horrid.

Your points are good one Irish Jet, but I must counter one thing. Every D should be fit to defend a 13 point lead at halftime-not necessarily so. NFL teams regularly score 13 points in a half of football. It's not out of the realm. It is fair to say that every NFL D should hold a 13 point halftime lead assuming the offense doesn't decide to take a nap for the second half. Now before you go flipping that Irish temper at me, realize I am aware the D **** the bed in the second half, but the offense did so just as badly as well. It's a 2 way street. If the D held them to 2 TD's and a FG, we'd lose the game (not counting the useless hail mary at the end). 2 TD's and a FG is more than you want to allow, but it isn't horrid.

My Irish temper???

Grrrr!!!!:Trk:

I agree the offence **** the bed in the 2nd half, not Chad. With a 13 point lead the game lies not so much with the QB, but with the defence and running game.

Not forgetting Mangolds **** up which stalled another drive.

There were way way more reason we lost that game than Chad. The Giants game and Eagles game I would put him top of the list but no way vs the Bengals.

Archived