Will Chad Pennington be a starting QB in the NFL in 2008?

ECURB

Will Chad Pennington be a starting QB in the NFL in 2008?  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Will Chad Pennington be a starting QB in the NFL in 2008?

Buffalo clearly looks sold on either Losman or Edwards (actually they seem to like them both). No way I see them demoting BOTH of them for yet another QB who just got demoted.

Jacksonville makes no sense to me. Though one could argue that Pennington's "catchable" passes would be an asset to their 3 enormous, "no-hands" WR's, I don't see why they would be unhappy with Garrard & wish to "upgrade" to a QB who was doing far worse with far better receivers at his disposal this season.

Philly I'd say is a real long shot as well. The one thing they have at WR are deep threats; I don't see how Pennington is an upgrade. In addition to McNabb (who is still under contract), they just took a QB in the 2nd round. Like Buffalo, I don't see Pennington displacing/demoting TWO quarterbacks who are already on the team.

Carolina could have maybe used him this year. I don't see how Smith & Carter need a short-range QB personally. Only reason he'd be of value is b/c Delhomme got hurt. With Delhomme healthy, there is zero chance Pennington starts for them; he was off to a great start (albeit against lousy defenses). They also shelled out $ to Carr & doubt they dump him so fast. I think he generally sucks, but he's had a bad back & he has a far better arm than he's displayed.

All the others you mentioned I could see, though.

It looks like McNabb is wearing out his welcome in Philly and I would not be suprised if he is moved after the season. (His hometown of Chicago maybe). Not sure if the kid the drafted this season will be ready for 08.

Buffalo: If Losman hasn't blossmomed by now he never will. Edwards is okay and he is young and does look like their future.

Carolina: Word down here is that Delhomme may not be ready for the start of the 08 season. Vinny was okay for one day but he isn't coming next and Carr is brutal. They do have third in Mat Moore that for whatever reason Fox doesn't want to put in there. If Fox stays though he just wants someone that can get Smith the ball whether it is 5,10, or 50yds away. He is their offense.

Jax: Probably a miss on my part.

It looks like McNabb is wearing out his welcome in Philly and I would not be suprised if he is moved after the season. (His hometown of Chicago maybe). Not sure if the kid the drafted this season will be ready for 08.

Buffalo: If Losman hasn't blossmomed by now he never will. Edwards is okay and he is young and does look like their future.

Carolina: Word down here is that Delhomme may not be ready for the start of the 08 season. Vinny was okay for one day but he isn't coming next and Carr is brutal. They do have third in Mat Moore that for whatever reason Fox doesn't want to put in there. If Fox stays though he just wants someone that can get Smith the ball whether it is 5,10, or 50yds away. He is their offense.

Jax: Probably a miss on my part.

Philly would surprise me unless they think Kolb was a total bust pick. I just don't see Philly trading away a day one pick for Pennington.

Didn't know that about Delhomme. If that's true, then I'd agree he's a possibility down there. Vilma would be a fit there as well.

Chad needs an awesome RB and Defense to be effective with his dink and dunk throws.

Uh.... don't forget a monster O line in that equation Mikey.... unless you're thinking that's a given;)

So what that really means is Chad would provide the missing link to a potential superbowl team. My question would be why would any team want to cripple their offense with Chad? Does Pittsburgh have the same effective run driven offense with Chad under center instead of Big Ben? Dont think so. Their offense is effective because Benny can run the ball and scald cheating defenses with an air attack. Chad's a good field general who can run a good ground game until they start stacking the box on him. He'd be a great back up on most teams.

Philly would surprise me unless they think Kolb was a total bust pick. I just don't see Philly trading away a day one pick for Pennington.

Didn't know that about Delhomme. If that's true, then I'd agree he's a possibility down there. Vilma would be a fit there as well.

I would be very surprised if the Jets got a first day pick for Pennington that is why I think he would attractive for alot of teams. I'm thinking along what Miami did to KC to get Trent Green.

Pennington to me now would be in Parcells terms "A hold the fort guy". In Philly he could be the guy until Reid or whoever the new coach will be thinks this kid Kolb is ready or is he going to be a bust.

Same thing in Carolina. It is amazing down here but people treat Jake the same way that Pennington was treated. But now that they have seen the Chris Weinke, David Carr, and to some extent Vinny they are begging for him to come back.

I don't think though Vilma would be a fit here. They kid Beason they drafted is a flat out stud and is going to be a player for long time.

I would be very surprised if the Jets got a first day pick for Pennington that is why I think he would attractive for alot of teams. I'm thinking along what Miami did to KC to get Trent Green.

Pennington to me now would be in Parcells terms "A hold the fort guy". In Philly he could be the guy until Reid or whoever the new coach will be thinks this kid Kolb is ready or is he going to be a bust.

Same thing in Carolina. It is amazing down here but people treat Jake the same way that Pennington was treated. But now that they have seen the Chris Weinke, David Carr, and to some extent Vinny they are begging for him to come back.

I don't think though Vilma would be a fit here. They kid Beason they drafted is a flat out stud and is going to be a player for long time.

I hear you. But I think Pennington has more trade value than Trent Green had.

- Green was coming off a serious concussion; teams are always wary of that.

- Green was also a good 5 years older than Chad will be.

- Also the whole world knew that KC was going to release him because his salary was like $7M at age 36. Bad for KC for 2 reasons: (1) it was impossible for KC to keep an $8M backup; (2) anyone trading for Green would have to give him a new contract. The latter, in particular, makes teams not want to spend too much in terms of draft picks.

- Chad's salary is just under $5M. While that may not seem like that much less, it's low enough that a new team wouldn't feel the need to give him a new deal with a new SB of at least that amount. If a new team thinks he's good enough to start for 3 years, his cap # to them is VERY reasonable for a starter: 2008 ($4.8M), 2009 ($5.7M), 2010 ($2.3M). That's 3 years, $12.8M and no cap acceleration for them if they cut him or he gets seriously injured (since they won't have to give him a SB). Doubt they could find another QB who could reasonably step right in as starter for less money than that these days.

- While it's unlikely that the Jets keep him around with that salary, it's not inconceivable. They'll still need a veteran backup anyway that will cost at least $1M. So they don't really save nearly as much trading Chad as KC would have for trading Green.

I could definitely see a team with cap room & a realistic shot at the post-season in 2008 (Minnesota, Chicago, Baltimore) take a shot at him for a day-one pick. I think a 2nd-rounder is VERY optimistic though.

The thing is, there are no FA's this year who anyone should consider going into the 2008 season with as starter. Daunte Culpepper, Rex Grossman, & Josh McCown are the best of the bunch now that Romo is locked up.

• 8 months later...
I wish I could see the look on everyone's face when he's named the start this season over Clemens.

Just like we'll all be waiting for your excuse when the Jets lose a December game 10-6 while Pennington throws 2 or 3 INT's in the contenst and the running game will be blamed along with the defense who should've hold the opposing team to three points. Cut them all.

Now a team like the Chiefs would be a perfect fit for Chad... Hand the ball of to LJ 30 plus times a game, have a TE in Gonzalez who can make the tough catch, and a coach in Herm who would love to have Chad to help manage the clock.

LJ is busted, and Chad doesn't throw to the TE, ever.

Archived