Torii Hunter signs with Angels

CanadianJet

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/7477188?MSNHPHMA

This is both good and bad news in my opinion.

1, it means that we are less likely to trade Melky (and less likely to trade a good group of youngsters for Santana in the process)

2, the problem is this makes it more likely the Angels will get Santana :(

Why is it bad news? Won't they (Twins) be looking for a CF with Hunter gone?

The bad news in my opinion is that the Angels will have a great, one two punch with Hunter and Guerrero. Plus, they just traded for Garland as well.

The bad news in my opinion is that the Angels will have a great, one two punch with Hunter and Guerrero. Plus, they just traded for Garland as well.

Which means they now also have the young pitching to get Miguel Cabrera.

Cabrera- Vlade 3-4 punch actually rivals Manny-Ortiz......last season I believe they put up better numbers.

Here's how I see it:

-Hunter said he was going to leave the Twins from the beginning so they needed a CF no matter what.

-If the Yankees traded something like Melky, Wang and Kennedy (although the Twins wanted Melky, Hughes and Cano) for Santana they would have a gap at CF

-I kept hearing that the Yanks would sign Hunter to replace Melky

-With Hunter out as a possible replacement, it makes it a little less likely that the Yanks will do a trade involving Melky and other prospects.

Hope that makes some sense:)

Although it does stink that the Angels are getting better (and could easily get Santana as well :()

Here's how I see it:

-Hunter said he was going to leave the Twins from the beginning so they needed a CF no matter what.

-If the Yankees traded something like Melky, Wang and Kennedy (although the Twins wanted Melky, Hughes and Cano) for Santana they would have a gap at CF

-I kept hearing that the Yanks would sign Hunter to replace Melky

-With Hunter out as a possible replacement, it makes it a little less likely that the Yanks will do a trade involving Melky and other prospects.

Hope that makes some sense:)

Although it does stink that the Angels are getting better (and could easily get Santana as well :()

I would not trade Melky, Wang and Kennedy for Santana. You can't put all your eggs in 1 basket. If they make that trade and Santana gets hurt they are screwed.

No thanks. They have a good thing going. Keep building upon what was started last season.

I would not trade Melky, Wang and Kennedy for Santana. You can't put all your eggs in 1 basket. If they make that trade and Santana gets hurt they are screwed.

No thanks. They have a good thing going. Keep building upon what was started last season.

Nor would I. The problem is the way the management has run the team this offseason I could definitely see them doing it.

If we make that trade we're going right back to an 02-06 type of team :(

Also, what sparked the 96-01 run? Getting young, and that in my opinion is what we need to do

If the goal is to win post season games as is the popular mantra here, I would consider and probably make the deal as Kennedy is a unknown and Melky is nothing that should stop any deal for a superstar.

During the regular season however Wang has shown he will win just as much as Johann with the Yanks payroll/offense.......so it all depends if you are you looking for a October stopper or not. Wang is good, Johann is the best AND still very young.

The Yanks will likely sit back and wait for the price tag to NOT include Hughes-Joba and Cano. Any of the other kids including Melky should be sent in a heartbeat for Johann. The scary part is the Twins keep leaking that Cano must also be included in that type package.

I have a feeling though that if given the chance, Hughes-Melky - Duncan will be sent off for Santana.

You are insane if you don't make that trade.

You are insane if you don't make that trade.

It's not just the trade. It's the trade, plus a huge contract that only 3-4 teams could match anyway. There aren't that many teams competing for that trade, so I don't like giving up all that young meat.

It's not just the trade. It's the trade, plus a huge contract that only 3-4 teams could match anyway. There aren't that many teams competing for that trade, so I don't like giving up all that young meat.

What young meat? Melky, Wang and Kennedy? If I'm The Twins, that's not enough for Santana.

Melky is a nice player, but nothing special.

Wang will never be a #1.

Kennedy, who knows? Could be good, but that's his ceiling.

All for a bonafide ace, the best pitcher in baseball over the last 5 years. Holding onto your kids is a great idea, but don't overvalue them.

this move makes Gary Matthews expendable, and word on the west coast is the Angels are looking to move him and a pitcher, to the O's for Miguel Tejada. Would be a nice addition to replace Orlando Cabrera.

Also think they will try for Cabrera first but they have multiple strengths at which to deal from. Surplus young pitching, young infielders and Major League Center Fielders in Matthews and Willts. IMO they could get whatever player they want that's on the trade block.

Not sure they are willing to pay a Johann though.

BY CLARK SPENCER

cspencer@MiamiHerald.com

It was a quiet Thanksgiving for the Marlins, who made a holiday splash two years ago when they dealt Josh Beckett and Mike Lowell to the Boston Red Sox. But it might not remain quiet for long.

When the Los Angeles Angels agreed to sign free agent center fielder Torii Hunter to a five-year deal worth $90 million late Wednesday, it might have set the stage for another major acquisition: Miguel Cabrera.

''I think it's an indication that they're going [to make a deal],'' one baseball insider said Thursday of a rumored deal that would have the Marlins sending Cabrera to the Angels for a collection of prospects.

Signing Hunter, which hinges on his passing a physical, gives the Angels more outfielders than they can possibly use. One of those, rookie Reggie Willits, could be included in a package of players to obtain Cabrera, who would sweeten the Angels' power-anemic lineup.

Despite winning their division, the Angels ranked 12th among the 14 American League teams in home runs last season and totaled only four runs when the Boston Red Sox swept them in three games in an American Leauge Division Series showdown.

Although the Los Angeles Dodgers, San Francisco Giants, Chicago White Sox and Cleveland Indians have expressed an interest in Cabrera, the Angels are believed to have the edge on the four-time All-Star third baseman.

Along with Willits, who would plug one need for the Marlins -- a center fielder -- the Angels also would likely give up second baseman Howie Kendrick and catcher Jeff Mathis. A source said the biggest sticking point to completing a deal at this point is whether the Angels also would throw in a fourth player: pitching prospect Nick Adenhart.

The Angels also have a surplus of starting pitchers after obtaining Jon Garland from the White Sox for shortstop Orlando Cabrera earlier this week. That move gives the Angels six starters. A deal with the Angels also could net the Marlins third baseman Brandon Wood.

After reaching an agreement with Hunter, Angels general manager Tony Reagins said the transaction didn't necessarily indicate that more moves are forthcoming. But neither did he rule out any future deals.

''This doesn't have any bearing on other moves,'' Reagins told reporters Wednesday. ``We look at things that make sense. I don't think you can be close-minded about anything. If there are opportunities that make you better, you have to look at it.''

What young meat? Melky, Wang and Kennedy? If I'm The Twins, that's not enough for Santana.

Melky is a nice player, but nothing special.

Wang will never be a #1.

Kennedy, who knows? Could be good, but that's his ceiling.

All for a bonafide ace, the best pitcher in baseball over the last 5 years. Holding onto your kids is a great idea, but don't overvalue them.

Have to disagree here. Consecutive 19 win/sub 4.00 ERA/1.3 WHIP seasons. He's already an ace. As far as the post season goes...two starts do not negate or cancel out 38 wins and the aforementioned stats.

this move makes Gary Matthews expendable, and word on the west coast is the Angels are looking to move him and a pitcher, to the O's for Miguel Tejada. Would be a nice addition to replace Orlando Cabrera.

With Vald being banged up at times, and Anderson getting hurt more often these days, Mathews becomes the rotation OF all season between LF and RF.

Have to disagree here. Consecutive 19 win/sub 4.00 ERA/1.3 WHIP seasons. He's already an ace. As far as the post season goes...two starts do not negate or cancel out 38 wins and the aforementioned stats.

two straight times he's expected to be our big guy in the playoffs and he falls. i dont know man.

two straight times he's expected to be our big guy in the playoffs and he falls. i dont know man.

He did fine in his first ever post season appearance and got a win. He wasn't rattled then, he isn't rattled now. The guy had consecutive outings where he just didn't have his good stuff. I'll chalk that one up as $h!t happens.

Wang is a solid starter, one of the better ones in the AL. 38 wins and a sub 4.00 ERA in the AL is nothing to sneeze at. I believe the 38 wins are tops in Baseball over the past 2 seasons.

But he is not a true ACE. Not a true #1. Close, but his best role is as a guy you throw out there in Game 2 or Game 3 of a playoff series. He probably is then going to be better then anyone else any other team has in that role.

Archived