Guy Cut Today that would be a GREAT Jet

TomShane

WR Joe Jurevicius was cut from the Bucs today. He never really fit in with that vertical attack in Tampa, but Jurevicius is a big, rangy wideout who will go over the middle of the field. There won't be a huge market for him, as he has a bad injury history, but IMO, he would look nice in green.

I like the guy alot too. Ya can never have too many possession WR's IMO. I don't think Joe J. has ever dropped a pass, has he? :shock: :wink:

Actually, his hands are a little suspect at times. He's very streaky with his hands. He's a tough cover because of his size and his sneaky speed, though. He migh be a decent fit on the Steelers for Big Ben to lob it to, especially when they lose Plax.

Actually, his hands are a little suspect at times. He's very streaky with his hands. He's a tough cover because of his size and his sneaky speed, though. He migh be a decent fit on the Steelers for Big Ben to lob it to, especially when they lose Plax.

Great point. Plus he should be affordable too huh? And we all know how much Rooney loves discounts. :lol:

If they ever just bit the bullet for a three year period you guys might have a Pats-like dynasty.

Tom, you are one of the most knowledgeable guys here. I really enjoy reading all of you guys' point of views. :)

I've argued/debated with many Steelers fans over that issue the last few years. Alot want to blame Cowher's coaching, etc. etc. etc. But it's always been my contention that they just refuse to take a chance on a guy, (examples: Rodney Harrison or Corey Dillon ala the Pats) with alot of talent and alot of experience to help get them over the hump.

Only thing that kept Jurevicious from being a 1,000 yard type in Tampa is injuries...

I'm suprised he was cut...but if Mushin gets cut, why not?

Maybe Gruden's lining up for Matt Jones?

TS is right, there may be a 1 white WR per season rule in Bucs land-- So if Jones is in Joe is out--which got Danny Farmer pushed out in 2004 :twisted:

Honestly, I'm suprised. Gruden loved him...but the injuries probably cost him. Maybe he'll be back at a lesser salary?

Only thing that kept Jurevicious from being a 1,000 yard type in Tampa is injuries...

I'm suprised he was cut...but if Mushin gets cut, why not?

Maybe Gruden's lining up for Matt Jones?

TS is right, there may be a 1 white WR per season rule in Bucs land-- So if Jones is in Joe is out--which got Danny Farmer pushed out in 2004 :twisted:

Honestly, I'm suprised. Gruden loved him...but the injuries probably cost him. Maybe he'll be back at a lesser salary?

It'd be interesting to see what Gruden would do with Matt Jones. He might make him the new Jim Jensen (Dolphins)--a super-utility guy.

TS, Jones is off the charts 4.3 to 4.4, 40 inch vertical...

I'd think teams want him to be another Drew Bennett type--former QB, now a 1,300 yard 12 TD wideout.....

I think Jim Jensen (maybe even Chrebet and Bobby Engram types) types went out of style in the 1990's----small, gritty types.

I really believe the "overachieving" WR's these days better be tall---over 6'2"...

And the small WR's better be able to run like Brandon Stokely, Santana Moss or Tim Dwight.

I actually agree completely with Tom. Jurevicious has had the injury bug lately, but he was a beat at PSU, and started to show some serious flashes before he was injured. He's tall and believe it or not he's fast as hell. He's a mirror image of Drew Bennett when he's healthy. And he will be cheap. This is the 1 WR I would even consider.

lets move on and get some young blood.

JJ is old and broken up. he may have something left, he may not have why be risky

maxman you are GAY

I agree with everything that DK wrote.

Joe J would have been great a few years ago. But his injury history scares me.

Tom, you are one of the most knowledgeable guys here. I really enjoy reading all of you guys' point of views. :)

I've argued/debated with many Steelers fans over that issue the last few years. Alot want to blame Cowher's coaching, etc. etc. etc. But it's always been my contention that they just refuse to take a chance on a guy, (examples: Rodney Harrison or Corey Dillon ala the Pats) with alot of talent and alot of experience to help get them over the hump.

Paul, more than that, IMO, is that they not only let guys walk, but they let guys walk out of KEY positions--QB, LT, G, ILB, CB, WR. It's insane. Every time I watch the Steelers in a big spot where they lose, it's not because of bad coaching, per se (Cowher gets too conservative however, IMO), but it's because one or two of these fill-in guys gets exposed by the opposing HC. You can hide a guy who should be second/third string against alot of teams in the regular season, but once you're in the playoffs, a big-time OC or DC is going to find that guy and smoke him. The Steelers, because of this, are built for regular season success, but in the playoffs, forget about it. What do they expect Cowher to do?

Paul, more than that, IMO, is that they not only let guys walk, but they let guys walk out of KEY positions--QB, LT, G, ILB, CB, WR. It's insane. Every time I watch the Steelers in a big spot where they lose, it's not because of bad coaching, per se (Cowher gets too conservative however, IMO), but it's because one or two of these fill-in guys gets exposed by the opposing HC. You can hide a guy who should be second/third string against alot of teams in the regular season, but once you're in the playoffs, a big-time OC or DC is going to find that guy and smoke him. The Steelers, because of this, are built for regular season success, but in the playoffs, forget about it. What do they expect Cowher to do?

Great post. Cowher picks his poison, so to speak, IMO. He has final say on any and all player transactions from what i've heard. Most recent example would be giving Larry Foote an extension and letting Kendrell Bell walk. Sure, Bell has injury issues but when he heals he's got Foote beat hands down. Foote may have the edge in coverage but i can honestly say i've never seen a Steeler ILB blitz, chase down runners, and roam from sideline to sideline making plays like Bell has.

IMO, whomever gets KB will drastically improve (providing his groin injury can heal properly) their defense.

The conservativeness in the PO's can probably be traced to Cowher's roots under Marty Shottenheimer.

That being said, he was willing to let Ben and co. go for the jugular quite often last season so i could say i've seen improvement in that area.

I also agree with you on the weak players getting exposed in the PO's as well. From my perspective it seems as though Cowher puts added pressure on himself and his players in the PO's for some reason. Maybe not directly but it could be subtle changes in his demeanor or a little extra emphasis on certain things in practice, etc. etc.

The dis-heartening thing for me in the PO's last season was that it appeared the Jets and Pats were more prepared, more relaxed, and more hungry to win than we were. I know Jets fans can be hard on Herm, but would you agree, at least, that Herm's team appeared hungrier and more relaxed than Cowher's?

Cowher has stability that no other coach in this league will ever have, IMO. He has an owner that flat out refuses to question his judgment, stands by him through thick and thin and is acommodating to Cowher's every move. I'm also interested in Jets fans opinions on that subject as well.

I have soooooo many more thoughts on this subject and would like to pick you guys' brains on things. This post will be long enough (a freakin' novel!) so i'll cut it short for now. :wink:

Archived