MadDog reporting

GimmeShelter

Milledge's worth was never as great as it was a couple of years ago.

Scneider is gritty, but lacking offensively. Certainly better calling a game than Estrada, which I did not understand.

Ryan Church is young, impatient but can drive the ball and had a lot of doubles.

This settles catcher, for sure. Church will give about what Green gave, with better defense.

The FAN was killing the Mets for this move. Saying Lastings was never given a shot.

Latsings was not a "Met type" of player. Read into that he is flamboyant and outspoken. That is not how the Mets like their players.

That is not right or wrong. The kid very well may flourish some day, but certainly not as a Met.

The Nats coveted him for some time.

You can see that the lockeroom chemistry was a perceived problem by the front office.

First LoDuca wasn't given a sniff, and now Lastings.

Casnman wanted to rid the clubhouse of characters too, and that homogenized teh 80's team too much.

Let's see what Minaya has got. Schneider can throw runners out. I like having a defensive catcher.

Jayson Stark: (1:17 PM ET ) I'm going to ignore the second part of that question and just evaluate this trade. The Mets have been looking for a defensive-minded catcher who could lead a staff, and Brian Schneider does that as well as anyone. And Ryan Church is a better player than you're giving him credit for. He's better than a fourth outfielder, even though he might be more a 5-day-a-week kind of player than a 7-day -a-week kind of player. And Milledge, frankly, turned out to be overrated. HIs value had plummeted. For a team trying to win in the short term, like the Mets, I totally understand this trade, Now let's sit back and see how good Milledge turns out to be.

This will put the Mets over the top. Plus they are going to steal the back pages from the Yanks in the papers tomorrow! Good job, Omar. HIGH FIVE!!

Who said that this what this deal was supposed to do? Teams can't make mobves to make what they think are incremental improvements?

Was the Mark Loretta signing "putting the Yankees over the top, or kings of the back page"?

Please, Barton. Please.

Who said that this what this deal was supposed to do? Teams can't make mobves to make what they think are incremental improvements?

Was the Mark Loretta signing "putting the Yankees over the top, or kings of the back page"?

Please, Barton. Please.

Barton is a young, Yankee fan.

He thinks any move in which a team doesn't acquire an all-star is insignificant.

Hate to rub it in but I was right about Lastings. Everyone said hold on to him. I said trade him while they had a shot at the World Series.

Cmon -- give me some rep. You know it's true.

Yeah trade him for Zito- see how he did last year in the National League.

Please, Barton. Please.

I was just joking, relax.

Yeah trade him for Zito- see how he did last year in the National League.

Zito that year down the stretch run would have helped the team especially with his old pitching coach.

I had a bunch of people tell you, that Lastings was a can't miss and you don't get rid of him. I said I would go for the World Series.

I was right.

Omar called the A's & the Orioles before making this deal, and asked if they had interest in Milledge as part of a package for a "top pitcher" (Haren or Bedard) both teams said, not interested in Milledge. his stock sure dropped far over the past 2 years.

nice move with Schneider, good defensive catcher and will be a respectable #8 hitter. I like Church, but not as a starting RF for them. Would prefer he was a 4th OF, but that's Endy's role.

Archived