My offseason Mock

Greenseed3

Trades:

Trade Vilma to ATL for a disgruntled DeAngelo Hall.

Trade Chad and Coles to KC for their 2nd round 2008, and 4th round 2009.

FA Acquisitions:

OT Stacy Andrews (CIN)

OG Alan Faneca (PIT)

WR Bryant Johnson (ARI)

Draft:

1st: Vernon Gholston (OLB/DE), Ohio State

Height: 6-4. Weight: 260.

40 Time: 4.58.

Younger and cheaper than a sure-to-be tagged Suggs. Bigger and quicker than a youthful Joey Porter. This guy has racked up 30 Tackles for loss, and 21 sacks in two seasons; not to mention making Jake Long look silly.

2A:Michael Oher (OT/OG), Ole Miss

Height: 6-5. Weight: 325.

A slightly better version of Justin Blalock; like the former Longhorn, can play guard and tackle. His mean streak and technique have coaches giddy; He's a natural knee bender and plays with incredible leverage

2B: Limas Sweed (WR), Texas

Height: 6-5. Weight: 218.

40 Time: 4.54.

A king sized possesion reciever. While he's not going to run by anyone, his height, hands and leaping ability make him a legitimate threat in the passing attack. He's more of a Plaxico Burress than a Randy Moss, but definately gives us an adequate red-zone threat.

3rd: Jasper Brinkley (ILB), South Carolina

Height: 6-2. Weight: 257.

40 Time: 4.58.

Brinkley is a monstrous linebacker who will be able to play numerous positions on an NFL team because of his impressive size and speed. Brinkley and Vince Hall, are the top inside linebackers of the 2008 class. Brinkley is the David Harris of this year's draft, and due to an ankle injury will last to this point in the draft. He's a must get.

4th: Jason Shirley (NT), Fresno State

Height: 6-5. Weight: 330.

40 Time: 4.98.

A monstrous nose tackle who runs a sub-five 40? While this position gets neglected until the fourth round, the coverage skills of Revis and Hall, combined with the pass rushing of Gholston and Co. make D-line less of a glaring need. The Line has improved considerably since the bye; Mosely, Pouha, Drob, Coleman and Ellis have really come onto their own, and now Kareem Brown from the Patsies (who is like a red-shirted draft pick anyway) allow for the hesitance in drafting DL. This guy is big, tall and quick.

5th: John David Booty (QB), USC

Height: 6-3. Weight: 210.

40 Time: 4.73.

Booty possesses a very good arm, and can make all the throws. He has the mobility to get out of the pocket and pick up some yardage. Norm Chow said he had the best combination of physical talent he

Starting Offense

QB: Kellen Clemens

RB: Thomas Jones

Leon Washington

TE: Chris Baker

Joe Kowalski

Todd Blythe

WR: Bryant Johnson

Jericho Cotchery

Limas Sweed

Brad Smith

Chansi Stuckey

Dave Ball

Wallace Wright

OL: D'Brickashaw Ferguson

Alan Faneca

Nick Mangold

Brandon Moore

Stacy Andrews

Micheal Oher

Jacob Bender

Starting Defense

DL: Ellis/ Kenyon Coleman

Mosely/ Pouha/ Jason Shirley

Robertson/ Kareem Brown

LB: Bryan Thomas/ Bowens

David Harris/ Hobson

Jasper Brinkley/ Hobson

Vernon Gholston/ Bowens

CB: Darelle Revis/ Andre Dyson

Deangelo Hall/ Justin Miller

S: Kerry Rhodes

Abram Elam

If that is our offseason I would probably pee my pants I would be so excited. Couple of nitpicky things though:

1. Ghoulston would be a huge reach at our draft position right now. If we win this week and end up at around 7 or so he would be a fine pick. But at 3 and in position to take McFadden, if they pass on him they damn sure better get a good package of extra picks while trading down to get Ghoulston. He would be a great first-round acquisition, but I don't think he's a good value pick at 3 when we can likely get more draft picks and Ghoulston for a lot cheaper a few picks later.

2. I like the Malele pick, and I think you may have undersized him. All the reports I have looked at say he's 331, 332, 333, etc. At first I saw he was 312 and thought he'd be more of the same as what we have at NT now. He would be a good pick if he is that weight and can play. IMO if they take Shirley there's no need for Malele, though, later in the draft.

3. Part of me likes the Hall deal and part doesn't. With a player of his talent Vilma is a great deal for him straight up, but the question is whether he can harness that talent and not get into trouble. Mangini needs to take shots with players; I'm not sure if this is the way to start. I would rather trade Vilma for a possible 1st rounder.

4. Now onto the things I liked: I love Oher, I also advocated him as a possible second round pick for us. Also love the two FA signings that complete revamp our O-line into one of the best units in the NFL IMO. Love the Sweed pick; he's one of my favorite college football players. Not sure if he slips that far, but he might if his 40 times stay in the 4.5s. He's definitely not Randy Moss, but like you said I think he is a Plaxico Burress-clone and can be a gamebreaker in the offense. I haven't heard anything about that linebacker, but he looks like a good 'backer. You seem to know what you're talking about, and if he can be another steal with that pick then by all means, I would love it. Also like the John David Booty pick. I think he'll be a lot better than people expect and will at least be a great backup QB for some team, and is a good insurance policy for KC.

All in all I would be ecstatic if the Jets offseason goes something like this.

Deangelo has already expressed his desire to change scenery and Keith Brooking isn't getting any younger.

Just because he might want to leave, doesn't mean he'll be traded for damaged goods. He can WANT to be traded all he likes. IF the Falcons trade him it'll be for a player who didn't just have season ending knee surgery and/or some high round picks.

If that is our offseason I would probably pee my pants I would be so excited. Couple of nitpicky things though:

1. Ghoulston would be a huge reach at our draft position right now. If we win this week and end up at around 7 or so he would be a fine pick. But at 3 and in position to take McFadden, if they pass on him they damn sure better get a good package of extra picks while trading down to get Ghoulston. He would be a great first-round acquisition, but I don't think he's a good value pick at 3 when we can likely get more draft picks and Ghoulston for a lot cheaper a few picks later.

All in all I would be ecstatic if the Jets offseason goes something like this.

Thanks for your feedback! I completely agree with your stance on moving down and think it's always a good thing to entertain offers. The only real leverage we have in this draft comes if we can get a pick right in front of Atlanta.

The QB-needy teams in the top-ten(Atlanta, Baltimore and Chicago) might all vie for rights to the best QB prospect coming out, and could actually afford to move up just a couple slots. We should all hope only ONE QB candidate really shines above the rest, making the pick really attractive.

I didn't highlight this possibility in my Mock because:

1) I feel that Gholston will shoot up draft boards (easilly) to a top-five pick (like Gaines Adams did last year). In which case getting him at #3 isn't really the worst option.

2) Proposing a mock with trades involved can get real sticky (mock-wise) It would just involve getting more players... but, depending on who moves up do you get another 2nd rounder, 3rd rounder or 4th rounder???

I would prefer that we didn't trade with Chicago; them picking at #10 (or so, right now) means Gholston would be gone, and ruins my entire draft....

But If we traded down just one spot, so Atlanta could control the pick, we would probably get a 3rd rounder. If we trade down with Baltimore we get a 2nd rounder. Either way, If that's the case I say we go Beefy once again and draft:

REd Bryant 6-5, 325 (Texas AM) or,

Dre Moore 6-4, 298 (MAryland)

Both would make for moldable DEs for the 3-4

Or, Shawn Crable OLB (Michigan)

You can never have too many linebackers in a 3-4.

Just because he might want to leave, doesn't mean he'll be traded for damaged goods. He can WANT to be traded all he likes. IF the Falcons trade him it'll be for a player who didn't just have season ending knee surgery and/or some high round picks.

They might want to get rid of him. Also, you make it sound like Jonathon Vilma is chopped liver. He's a former 1st round draft pick with an incredible resume playing in the 4-3. While Vilma's health (of course), would hinge the trading possibility. As long as he recovers well enough, I think its an incredibly good deal for both parties involved. WHo knows, maybe Tanny gets clever with it and tosses in a swap of first round picks to ensure ATlanta can get whatever player they want at tht #3 spot.

They might want to get rid of him. Also, you make it sound like Jonathon Vilma is chopped liver. He's a former 1st round draft pick with an incredible resume playing in the 4-3. While Vilma's health (of course), would hinge the trading possibility. As long as he recovers well enough, I think its an incredibly good deal for both parties involved. WHo knows, maybe Tanny gets clever with it and tosses in a swap of first round picks to ensure ATlanta can get whatever player they want at tht #3 spot.

Sounds good. Tennenbaum is a good enough GM that if this deal is even a remote possiblity then we should expect to see it happen early in the off-season. Can't wait 'til it's announced. Revis and Hall are going to be a great duo at CB.

Outstanding job. Reality is, even if we couldn't pull off ANY Vilma trade I still like it. Worst case is we have an extra ILB'er or we take the best offer we can get for him. He will never be a special player in the 3-4 and 1 year later we get zero compensation in return. We're not going to franchise him, and if he's that hurt he's not going to be a big contributor on the field in '08, so what's the difference if we only got a 3rd or 4th rounder. He's not going to play in '08 and we lose his rights on 3/2/09. Plus the thought of starting 2 rookie LB'ers at the same time, potentially behind a rookie NT...well it could get ugly.

If we came away with a DeAngelo Hall, power to us. He'd need a new contract himself pretty soon, but that can wait until after the '08 season since his rookie deal runs through '09. May want to see if he's going to be a total a-hole/distraction before coughing up the $25M guaranteed he'll likely be seeking.

Faneca/Andrews/Oher would be a phenomenal addition to the line. And I'm not sure that all 3 wouldn't play right away with Moore being the odd man out (and at $1M salary with 4 yrs starting experience, would be the perfect backup guard).

Only issues I see:

- potentially starting 2 rookie LB'ers and a rookie NT all at the same time

- Victor Hobson is not on the team; he's a UFA in March '08 & it doesn't look like we're going to re-sign him unless he tests the waters, no one else wants him, and we re-sign him for dirt-cheap (this is what happened with Baker).

- the risk with Faneca, due to his alleged tail-off in performance (from what Pittsburgh fans seem to say). But given our need for THREE linemen by next year, I wouldn't argue with the risk.

- If we truly landed 2 linemen, and if they look pretty good, I don't see DRob lasting all summer long to the start of game 1 with a $10M cap number; we'd most likely drop him to save $8M in cap space, use that to pre-pay some future salaries off this year in the form of roster bonuses.

Just an excellent, well thought-out plan. Great job.

Thanks guys, good feedback!

I had no idea Vilma's injury is as serious as advertised. Still, I don't like getting my medical news from the ESPN prognosticators; they always seem to be a step behind or misinformed in some way. I'll have to check for links to really read the reports.

Either way, an oft-injured Jon Abraham was welcomed with opened arms by a certain organization, and provided Vilma could return to %80 of where he once was, at least by mid-season (next year), I think Atlanta still comes out on top. The kid is young, and a dynamic playmaker when given space to play in. Not to mention his United-Way commercials.

Archived