iTouch

Maxman

(I can pretty much guarantee that one of the mods will change the title and add myself).

But anyhow, anyone have one? My brother got one for Christmas and I really like it. I have seen the iphone before but really didn't want an all in one device. I had used the treo for awhile and didn't like the pda being combined with phone so I didn't use it long.

But my Dell Axim recently died and I need a new PDA. I don't use it for much other than contacts and didn't want to pay for a wireless data plan. So I think the itouch is perfect. You can use wifi for the web, you get the benefits of the ipod which I was never much into but is cool as an add in.

Really thinking about getting one -- thoughts? Anyone here have one?

(I can pretty much guarantee that one of the mods will change the title and add myself).

But anyhow, anyone have one? My brother got one for Christmas and I really like it. I have seen the iphone before but really didn't want an all in one device. I had used the treo for awhile and didn't like the pda being combined with phone so I didn't use it long.

But my Dell Axim recently died and I need a new PDA. I don't use it for much other than contacts and didn't want to pay for a wireless data plan. So I think the itouch is perfect. You can use wifi for the web, you get the benefits of the ipod which I was never much into but is cool as an add in.

Really thinking about getting one -- thoughts? Anyone here have one?

well first i would really think a little harder before nixing the iphone from consideration. In the past i had a seperate blackberry and cell phone for the same reason you mention, but the iphone happens to be a great cell phone too, very tight integration.

but if you still decide to go with the touch, it is pretty cool. Apple will be releasing an official third party developers kit in january or february for the iphone so you will see a TON of great software for it. I am betting that it will have the most software developed for it of any cell phone ever as it is already creaming windows mobile and rim in browser internet numbers. Since the itouch is on the same platform i would assume that most of these apps will work well with it.

Also, the iphone/itouch browser works extremely well with vbulletin, i am able to freely surf and post on here, something not so easy or comfortable to do on other pda/phones. Even when using my edge connection the forum loads quickly enough. Ya know max, for that reason you may very well want to consider the iphone, access to your site from anywhere and any time.

Tabor has an itouch by the way.

I thought Apple wasn't allowing third-party software until sometime in 2008?

Also, this belongs in the tech forum.

correct, january or february. Some people, well a lot, have hacked it already. I suggest holding out for the official applications to start pouring out though.

well first i would really think a little harder before nixing the iphone from consideration. In the past i had a seperate blackberry and cell phone for the same reason you mention, but the iphone happens to be a great cell phone too, very tight integration.

but if you still decide to go with the touch, it is pretty cool. Apple will be releasing an official third party developers kit in january or february for the iphone so you will see a TON of great software for it. I am betting that it will have the most software developed for it of any cell phone ever as it is already creaming windows mobile and rim in browser internet numbers. Since the itouch is on the same platform i would assume that most of these apps will work well with it.

Also, the iphone/itouch browser works extremely well with vbulletin, i am able to freely surf and post on here, something not so easy or comfortable to do on other pda/phones. Even when using my edge connection the forum loads quickly enough. Ya know max, for that reason you may very well want to consider the iphone, access to your site from anywhere and any time.

You're right....I was thinking about getting a Touch. However the BT put it over the top for me. Only thing the Touch has over the iPhone is storage IMO. 8gb is really more than enough for me.

I thought Apple wasn't allowing third-party software until sometime in 2008?

Also, this belongs in the tech forum.

I think so....however Apple wants you to pay for it. The iPhone community has really come up with some great apps to cover up the holes that Apple left out. For FREE!

I think so....however Apple wants you to pay for it. The iPhone community has really come up with some great apps to cover up the holes that Apple left out. For FREE!

dude, apple has NOT made any announcement or statement of charging anyone for anything, so at this point nobody has any idea what if any costs there will be. Heck, it could end up being like podcasts in itunes, those are 100% free right?

The reason apple is opening it up like this is because by nature of this being a cell phone and all the sensitive info and contacts tied to the internet, there is plenty of room for people to do some really crappy things. I actually laugh at all the people right now unknowingly giving out their aol IM account info to strangers, because that is what you are doing if you use the hacked im applications.

What they are probably going to do is what nokia does, require applications to have a digital signature, so that there is a level of security in knowing where the application is coming from.

dude, apple has NOT made any announcement or statement of charging anyone for anything, so at this point nobody has any idea what if any costs there will be. Heck, it could end up being like podcasts in itunes, those are 100% free right?

The reason apple is opening it up like this is because by nature of this being a cell phone and all the sensitive info and contacts tied to the internet, there is plenty of room for people to do some really crappy things. I actually laugh at all the people right now unknowingly giving out their aol IM account info to strangers, because that is what you are doing if you use the hacked im applications.

What they are probably going to do is what nokia does, require applications to have a digital signature, so that there is a level of security in knowing where the application is coming from.

I totally agree...he hasn't made an announcement. However, I have a feeling he will charge because of his stance of letting (illegal) 3rd party software to run on it. Lets wait and see...but until then i'm loving my Jailbroken iPhone.

I totally agree...he hasn't made an announcement. However, I have a feeling he will charge because of his stance of letting (illegal) 3rd party software to run on it. Lets wait and see...but until then i'm loving my Jailbroken iPhone.

i have seen a few phones that jailbreaked, and some people turned their phone into a hideous shell of its former self, lol, but to each his own. I guess you can do as much or as little as you want to change it up.

They may very well charge for some stuff, but i don't mind paying like 5-10 bucks for good software for my phone and have the piece of mind that it is safe.

I am so locked into Verizon with the family plan etc that the iphone simply isn't an option. Adding another $60 or so to the montly nut just isn't going to happen. If and when they were part of verizon I would be all over it.

Way to support the tech forum you fat bastard!

The iTouch is a neat little gadget. If you have a wireless router, the internet connection speed is faster than the iPhone's. Also IMO 16 gigs is plenty of space. Just looking at my iTouch, I have 1500 songs, 16 videos, and a few photos on it with over 4 gigs to spare. The mini Safari browser took some getting used to, as did the pop-up keyboard. There's nothing like being on the Nation while outside enjoying a cigar!

The only real downer is no external speaker. Mrs.Tabor fixed that by getting me the Bose noise-cancelling headphones for Christmas(very cool!)

As far as the iPhone goes, I will wait for the second generation to come out. They should address the 3G network, battery life, and storage capacity.

My only problem with it is the capacity. 16g is nothing compared to some of the other ipods.

I thought that too. I bought my fiancee a 60 gb video ipod a few months back. I don't think she even has 10 gigs on it. I have the 8 gig Ipod and I have loaded it up with a ton of music. Surprisingly, I still have 3 gigs open ... I think the 16 gig is more than enough music for the average person.

I am so locked into Verizon with the family plan etc that the iphone simply isn't an option. Adding another $60 or so to the montly nut just isn't going to happen. If and when they were part of verizon I would be all over it.

ahhhh, i see what you mean. Well, you can always wait out the contract. They have a family plan at at&t with the iphone, I am on it with others as a business phone.

In that case the touch is the move for you, and if you really like it you can move on to the iphone later when your contract is up.

I would not hold my breath with the iphone coming to verizon, verizon balked at apple's demands on what they wanted control over, which is why they went with at&t who actually signed on with the iphone without actually even seeing the device. I am sure verizon is regretting that decision big time now as it is the most successful cell phone roll out ever and almost half of the phones sold are new at&t customers. With the sweetheart deal apple has with revenue sharing on the plans and all the control at&t gives them, along with the system upgrades made to allow iphone features, I just can't see them giving up and going to the other carriers. You figure that most people will be free of their contracts within 12 months, and with the success they have already had they should have no problem waiting a year for those people to free up from contracts and switch over.

Archived