Bob Wischusen says:

Kentucky Jet

Bob Wischusen

Jets Offseason: Several Holes To Fill

Jan 09, 2008

The Jets have a lot of holes to fill.

They need another offensive tackle, probably another offensive guard. They need a defensive end/ linebacker to play outside in the 3-4 and a defensive tackle, too. They need another safety and another cornerback.

But they have a top pick and lots of money to spend.

They also have tradeable commodities in Chad Pennington and maybe even Jonathan Vilma should they hear an offer good enough regarding either.

It would be tough to lose those guys because they are both such quality people, but the Jets may have no choice.

Bob Wischusen

Jets Offseason: What To Do On Draft Day

Jan 09, 2008

Just because the Jets may miss out on Darren McFadden, that doesn't mean anything right now and may become a blessing down the road. You don't know and won't know for at least a few years. The point is that they will have just as good a chance to get a top player with the sixth pick.

Maybe they hope UVA defensive end Chris Long falls to them, or maybe Michigan offensive tackle Jake Long. Maybe if they have their heart set on one of those two players then they'll trade up as they did last year. Their work is really just beginning now with all the postseason All-Star games beginning.

One thing I would be fairly certain about though is that they're not going after a QB. To me, it's good news that as things stand now Mike Tannenbaum is planning on bringing back Chad Pennington. There's no problem with having two QB's and letting them fight it out.

There's competition at every other position in football, so why not have some competition and depth at QB too if you have the cap room to accommodate Pennington's salary? And the Jets have room.

Bob Wischusen

Jets Offseason: Running Backs

Jan 09, 2008

It's being taken for granted in most circles that Darren McFadden of Arkansas is the next great back coming into the NFL, and the Jets wouldn't have been a lock to take him had they stayed in the third slot anyway.

Running backs are a volatile commodity, and are often highly overrated in terms of their long-term futures. Take a look at the 2006 Draft now after two seasons have gone by.

Remember the reaction to Houston bypassing Reggie Bush and taking Mario Williams with the top overall pick? Remember the columnists and talk show hosts lining up to call it one of the great drafting disasters of all time? Before either kid had played a down of pro football, this was the dumbest drafting mistake ever made!

Let's look at it today. Reggie Bush, at this point, can be characterized as a nice player. He had just under 1,000 yards of total offense and scored six touchdowns this past season. He has not become the game changing superstar that many took for granted he would become ... yet. That's not to say that he won't, because he has a world of talent, but in this league you have to wait and see.

And if only all those prognosticators wouldn't have rushed to judgment about Mario Williams and waited to see how these players developed. Maybe then they wouldn't look quite so dumb only two years into their analysis when Williams finished the 2007 regular season tied for third in the NFL with 14 sacks. A better way to put it: would the Saints trade Reggie Bush straight up today for Mario Williams? I bet they would.

Bob Wischusen

Jets Offseason: Several Holes To Fill

Jan 09, 2008

The Jets have a lot of holes to fill.

They need another offensive tackle, probably another offensive guard. They need a defensive end/ linebacker to play outside in the 3-4 and a defensive tackle, too. They need another safety and another cornerback.

But they have a top pick and lots of money to spend.

They also have tradeable commodities in Chad Pennington and maybe even Jonathan Vilma should they hear an offer good enough regarding either.

It would be tough to lose those guys because they are both such quality people, but the Jets may have no choice.

Probably another offensive guard?!?!? Probably?!?! If they go into the season without an honest to God starting LG I think I am personally going to kneecap somebody in the FO. Clement sucks, but he is an NFL player. Just a bad one. Clarke is worse than practice squad level.

Probably another offensive guard?!?!? Probably?!?! If they go into the season without an honest to God starting LG I think I am personally going to kneecap somebody in the FO. Clement sucks, but he is an NFL player. Just a bad one. Clarke is worse than practice squad level.

:rl: Nicely put Dom.

IMO here is the order our offseason needs:

1. Left Guard

2. Nose Tackle

3. Edge Rusher/Outside Linebacker

4. Right Tackle

Personally I think the top 2 are the MUSTS for next season but I'd be happy enough if we brought in serious aqquisitions anywhere in our front 7, not just OLB, That group needs to seriously improve. At Right tackle, Clement has to go and we will need to find a decent replacement, I'm not asking for anything elite or looking to use a high draft pick on one, but something that is a huge upgrade (that shouldn't be hard for Anthony Clement) .

Archived