WR Justin McCareins

CB David Barrett

DT Dewayne Robertson

LB Eric Barton

LB Matt Chatham

OG Adrien Clarke

Mock Draft (5 Rounds)

1st round: DT Sedrick Ellis - USC

If Ellis slips past the Chiefs, the Jets may have found the NT they've been searching for. He showed up at the senior bowl at 6'0 308 and didn't seem to lose any explosiveness with the added weight. Very strong (42 reps of 225 at USC) with a low, compact frame.

2nd round: OT Carl Nicks - Nebraska

Nicks looked very solid at the senior bowl. He may turn out to be the best RT prospect in this years draft. A towering mauler at 6'5 345 and one helluva athlete for his size. Flatout dominant in the running game and plays with a mean streak. Let's also not forget the Callahan connection.

3rd round: LB Cliff Avril - Purdue

Very smart, high character kid who hails from a program known for producing successful tweeners at the next level. He's very productive and has a knack for making the big play. Does a nice job shedding blockers and has a non-stop motor.

3rd round: WR Eddie Royal - Virginia Tech

I'm a huge Hokies fan and I can tell you right now that Royal could be a big playmaker out of the slot. Has great hands and fantastic burst off the line. His added value as an electric return man should make him even more interesting.

4th round: LB Jeremy Leman - Illinois

Leman, not long ago, was thought to be a late 2nd/early 3rd round pick. But his stock has slid a little bit and could last until the early-mid 4th round. A very prodcutive player who could be groomed to team up wth Harris in a year or two.

5th round: OG Kerry Brown - Appalachian State

Nice small school prospect who could take Brandon Moore's place at RG down the road. Very well rounded as both a run blocker and pass protector. He'll at the very least add depth to a shaky unit.

2008 Starting Lineup

QB Kellen Clemens

RB Thomas Jones

FB Dan Kreider

WR Laveranues Coles

WR Jerricho Cotchery

TE Chris Baker

LT D'Brickashaw Ferguson

LG Stacy Andrews

C Nick Mangold

RG Brandon Moore

RT Carl Nicks

DE Shaun Ellis

NT Sedrick Ellis

DE Kenyon Coleman

OLB Bryan Thomas

ILB David Harris

ILB Clark Haggans

OLB David Bowens/Cliff Avril

CB Darrelle Revis

CB Asante Samuel

FS Kerry Rhodes

SS Abram Elam

Not a big fan of the linebacking corp, or the defensive line. Any team that starts shaun ellis AND bryan thomas are going no where fast. Couple that with a winey bitch like Samuel, who just got his pay-day, to slack off in the defensive backfield...we'd be doomed to another top ten pick.

I like the first round pick, he sounds like a good player to grab, i'd almost rather keep d-rob and play one or the other at LDE.

Kellen still has no targets to throw to. Except a 30 year old WR, and to hand off to a 30 year old RB. Coles needs to be gone, that, or at least bring in another receiver that can tell his head from his ass (smith, cotchery).

Everything after round 1 is pretty solid but I have a problem with taking Ellis to play NT. Despite the fact that he can play 3-4 NT, its not the best fit for him. He might be effective there but it would significantly handicap his strengths in pass rushing. His primary strength is in penetration even though he's good all around. His best fit is in the 4-3 where he would also be asked to rush the passer. He's probably the ideal 3-technique UT, for the 4-3, in that he's stout while also being an excellent pass rusher. By putting him at NT, you're essentially turning his best asset into an afterthought and that doesn't make much sense to me.

You don't take a player that high who's not even a great fit for the position you're asking of him. That's setting him up to be a disappointment and is unfair to the team and the prospect. That's one way to create a bust. It would make more sense to put him in the position to succeed rather than starting him off with an even steeper learning curve, than he already would have coming into the NFL, by making things more difficult for him.

[1st round: DT Sedrick Ellis - USC

If Ellis slips past the Chiefs, the Jets may have found the NT they've been searching for. He showed up at the senior bowl at 6'0 308 and didn't seem to lose any explosiveness with the added weight. Very strong (42 reps of 225 at USC) with a low, compact frame.]

isn't he a bit of a tweener at NT (6'0" 308lbs)? Strong isn't gonna help if the OL can pick him up and throw him around! I fear he'll be shoved around like Vilma does.

[1st round: DT Sedrick Ellis - USC

If Ellis slips past the Chiefs, the Jets may have found the NT they've been searching for. He showed up at the senior bowl at 6'0 308 and didn't seem to lose any explosiveness with the added weight. Very strong (42 reps of 225 at USC) with a low, compact frame.]

isn't he a bit of a tweener at NT (6'0" 308lbs)? Strong isn't gonna help if the OL can pick him up and throw him around! I fear he'll be shoved around like Vilma does.

If he's very strong then he won't get thrown around. Strength and leverage are more important than size for NT. No matter how big he is, if he plays to high and isn't strong on the field then he'll get driven back every time.

Vilma gets showed around because his game isn't about strength its about speed and quickness.

Not a big fan of the linebacking corp, or the defensive line. Any team that starts shaun ellis AND bryan thomas are going no where fast. Couple that with a winey bitch like Samuel, who just got his pay-day, to slack off in the defensive backfield...we'd be doomed to another top ten pick.

I like the first round pick, he sounds like a good player to grab, i'd almost rather keep d-rob and play one or the other at LDE.

Kellen still has no targets to throw to. Except a 30 year old WR, and to hand off to a 30 year old RB. Coles needs to be gone, that, or at least bring in another receiver that can tell his head from his ass (smith, cotchery).

Seems a little harsh Drago. Bryan Thomas and Ellis had bad years, but they both have some ability and shouldn't be bad if the other spots are upgraded. Samuel made about $9M this year and played well. You can't refuse to pay anybody because you think they will slack off. Plenty of guys get paid and they don't all disappear.

UT addressed WR with DJ Hackett AND a 3rd round pick. Coles was hurt most of Clemens games last season and if anything I think he paid too much attention to wr. With Stuckey coming back we have plenty of bodies, but we are looking for a true #1 monster.

Your complaints are valid, but you can't upgrade everywhere at once. My only real problem is the failure to add a monster pass rusher. I'm not that familiar with Avril, but that's something I'd prefer to address at the top of the draft or FA.

the sad part is that 30 year old wr is arguable the best receiver on the team.

Er, he brought in D.J Hackett and Eddie Royal.

Also, what the Hell is wrong with Cotch???

Mock Draft (5 Rounds)

If Ellis slips past the Chiefs, the Jets may have found the NT they've been searching for. He showed up at the senior bowl at 6'0 308 and didn't seem to lose any explosiveness with the added weight. Very strong (42 reps of 225 at USC) with a low, compact frame.

Nicks looked very solid at the senior bowl. He may turn out to be the best RT prospect in this years draft. A towering mauler at 6'5 345 and one helluva athlete for his size. Flatout dominant in the running game and plays with a mean streak. Let's also not forget the Callahan connection.

Very smart, high character kid who hails from a program known for producing successful tweeners at the next level. He's very productive and has a knack for making the big play. Does a nice job shedding blockers and has a non-stop motor.

I'm a huge Hokies fan and I can tell you right now that Royal could be a big playmaker out of the slot. Has great hands and fantastic burst off the line. His added value as an electric return man should make him even more interesting.

Leman, not long ago, was thought to be a late 2nd/early 3rd round pick. But his stock has slid a little bit and could last until the early-mid 4th round. A very prodcutive player who could be groomed to team up wth Harris in a year or two.

Nice small school prospect who could take Brandon Moore's place at RG down the road. Very well rounded as both a run blocker and pass protector. He'll at the very least add depth to a shaky unit.

Though Ellis is undoubtedly a great player who might eventually fill the bill at NT, I think a better overall draft strategy would be for the Jets to use the first pick to get the draft's best available hybrid edge rusher (assuming Chris Long is gone): Harvey, Groves or Gholston, and then get the best available DL with the second pick. There seem to be plenty of good DL prospects some of whom will slip to the second round (Sims, Bryant, Moore, Okam, maybe even Balmer). Third round (and FA, of course) for the offensive line - again, there seem to be plenty of 2-3 round talent here, especially at RT.

Very good job.

Trades

LB Jonathan Vilma to Cincy for their 2008 3rd round pick

Free Agent Signings

CB Asante Samuel

OG Stacy Andrews

WR D.J. Hackett

LB Clark Haggans

FB Dan Kreider

Cuts

WR Justin McCareins

CB David Barrett

DT Dewayne Robertson

LB Eric Barton

LB Matt Chatham

OG Adrien Clarke

Mock Draft (5 Rounds)

2008 Starting Lineup

QB Kellen Clemens

RB Thomas Jones

FB Dan Kreider

WR Laveranues Coles

WR Jerricho Cotchery

TE Chris Baker

LT D'Brickashaw Ferguson

LG Stacy Andrews

C Nick Mangold

RG Brandon Moore

RT Carl Nicks

DE Shaun Ellis

NT Sedrick Ellis

DE Kenyon Coleman

OLB Bryan Thomas

ILB David Harris

ILB Clark Haggans

OLB David Bowens/Cliff Avril

CB Darrelle Revis

CB Asante Samuel

FS Kerry Rhodes

SS Abram Elam

UT, your mocks have been great all year. This is another great job and I look forward to your next mock after the combine.

What I like about this mock -

We are a lot, lot stronger in the trenches. The drafting of Ellis (who I feel could further bulk up and play 3-4 NT) instantly upgrades our defence immensly and the pickups of Andrews and Nicks I really like, they could help turn our O-line into a very good group for many years.

The pick up of Asante would turn our secondary into a great unit, the thought of Rhodes Revis and Samuel all playing together is very exciting, they would be a very tough group to pass on.

Clark Haggans is another pickup I like as he is a very good, proven 3-4 LB'er. That's another player that is a huge upgrade over what we have currently. I would love that signing.

Dan Kreider is one of the best run blocking FB's in the league. He can't do much else but what he does he does well. He would really help our running game.

I have been singing the praises of D.J Hackett all season, he is a WR that can do it all and out of all the FA's available, he is the one I want, another great signing that would be.

Some issues -

Is Chad the backup??? Somehow I doubt he'd be content with that role.

I wouldn't be comfortable with Bowes starting at OLB, he showed some flashes but I haven't seen enough to convince me he's the real deal.

Again, Great Job on these mocks.

What's wrong with Cotchery?

Seems a little harsh Drago. Bryan Thomas and Ellis had bad years, but they both have some ability and shouldn't be bad if the other spots are upgraded. Samuel made about $9M this year and played well. You can't refuse to pay anybody because you think they will slack off. Plenty of guys get paid and they don't all disappear.

UT addressed WR with DJ Hackett AND a 3rd round pick. Coles was hurt most of Clemens games last season and if anything I think he paid too much attention to wr. With Stuckey coming back we have plenty of bodies, but we are looking for a true #1 monster.

Your complaints are valid, but you can't upgrade everywhere at once. My only real problem is the failure to add a monster pass rusher. I'm not that familiar with Avril, but that's something I'd prefer to address at the top of the draft or FA.

I don't see Thomas getting any better. He played well below NFL average for 4 or 5 years, then his contract year puts up "good" but not "great" numbers. I'm seeing a pattern. Thomas is a guy out to get paid.

I see your point on the Samuel pick up. You may be right in some instances, and my knowledge of the guy may be lacking, but from what i have heard he is all about the money. It also seems that NE puts out as many good CB's as Denver does RB's. What that means to me is he is a good system player. Fairly confident he would not see that success as a Jet.

Time will tell.

Er, he brought in D.J Hackett and Eddie Royal.

Also, what the Hell is wrong with Cotch???

Did you watch the games bro? He dropped a ton of passes. Key passes at that. He is a good number two, and an even better three. As long as it is not 3rd down.

I don't think Cotch should be getting a free pass because he is an overachieving late round pick. He's done nothing yet, he needs to be more consistent.

I don't see Thomas getting any better. He played well below NFL average for 4 or 5 years, then his contract year puts up "good" but not "great" numbers. I'm seeing a pattern. Thomas is a guy out to get paid.

I see your point on the Samuel pick up. You may be right in some instances, and my knowledge of the guy may be lacking, but from what i have heard he is all about the money. It also seems that NE puts out as many good CB's as Denver does RB's. What that means to me is he is a good system player. Fairly confident he would not see that success as a Jet.

Time will tell.

Did you watch the games bro? He dropped a ton of passes. Key passes at that. He is a good number two, and an even better three. As long as it is not 3rd down.

I don't think Cotch should be getting a free pass because he is an overachieving late round pick. He's done nothing yet, he needs to be more consistent.

I know Cotch had a a lot of drops mid-season, but wasn’t that also the time were he had a finger injury??? He’s been a very sure WR if you take out some of those weeks mid-season and still had a pretty good year receiving. Hackett is HUGE upgrade over J-Mac too. I’d be incredibly happy if our WR core was:

1) Coles 2) Cotchery 3)Hackett

That would be incredibly tough for defences to cover IMO.

Why would Hackett come here as a #3 receiver? Think about it guys. If you were a #2 or #3 for a team that makes the playoffs every year, in a pass happy offense, why would you go to a 4-12 team as a #3? If you're a #3, you're not going to get paid significantly more.

If he's goign anywhere he's going to be a #2 somewhere.

I think he'd #2 money and considering the fact that Coles won't be around for too long he will definetly get an oppurtunity. He would see a lot of playing time too IMO.

Archived