The New York Jets Will Draft Darren McFadden...

Ghost

Its not a big reach, but he is a reach at six. However, the drop off from Gholston is considerable and therefore worth taking him at six. After him, its Quentin Groves and as much as I like him, he has fallen considerably. Gholston is an undersized 43 DLineman? Maybe. But he's perfect for the 34 OLB role.

After the combine where I'm 99% sure Gholston will rip it up, he will no longer be considered a reach at 6. In fact, and I'm being serious, he may even be off the board at 6.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Most people on this board are like... "Dont take mcfadden" "Take jake long and build up a great o-line then take a riunning back later... but we cant do both at the same time? I dont get it?

you are more into assumptions than anyone i've ever seen on a message board. I haven't seen one post clamoring for Jake Long. The only posts i have seen for us to take him are from people saying, 'well if he falls to us, we might have to take him'.

Most people are saying grab Gholston, or Ellis. We need an impact player on either side of the ball, and weather you believe it or not, McFadden is a huge gamble at this point. He hasn't proven anything except that he is fast.

I've always been for the 'team' concept, and building the team involves other positions than the ones that carry the ball.

i still say GG would smoke McFadden in broken tackles.

Sometimes. Leon ran well, but he only ran well in limited numbers. I'd like to see what he would do with 15 touches a game rather than 5-10. You know, the way it was in 2006? Why Schottenheimer shyed away from him in '07 is beyond me. I understand he was the star Kick Returner, but comeon. In the end, you need your Offensive weapons on the field as much as possible.

Yup, schotty was horrible this year.

He got away from Leon way too much, there is no excuse for him getting that few carries when he was actually producing much better averages than TJ.

what!!! Leon washington?!? You want to talk about someone that cant break tackles or runs east west? thats leon washington.. he doesnt move a pile..he doesnt run up the middle and break tackles...hes a third down back..

leon is good for what he does. he is a scat/3rd down back and nothing more. people make him out to be some amazing back, but he isn't and he sure as hell is not an every down back. he is our version of a darren sproles

you are more into assumptions than anyone i've ever seen on a message board. I haven't seen one post clamoring for Jake Long. The only posts i have seen for us to take him are from people saying, 'well if he falls to us, we might have to take him'.

Most people are saying grab Gholston, or Ellis. We need an impact player on either side of the ball, and weather you believe it or not, McFadden is a huge gamble at this point. He hasn't proven anything except that he is fast.

I've always been for the 'team' concept, and building the team involves other positions than the ones that carry the ball.

i still say GG would smoke McFadden in broken tackles.

We NEED Offense.... we have none!!! O-lineman reciever Running back .. and a decent Qb... you start building the offense... The D plays Better... plain and simple.. The D was on the field last year for way too long...

LG and RT fill only two of the holes we have. Running Back isn't a hole. If the Jets were somehow able to pick-up Starks and Faneca, then they should be looking at Vernon Gholston or a trade down at 6. Stockpiling picks and picking for need are what struggling teams / rebuilding teams must do. Winning teams can afford to pick the fancy name. The Jets cannot afford to do that.

They can draft McFadden and still fill those holes on the O line...

No, I'm not.

If Thomas Jones can run for 1,100+ behind the 2007 Offensive Line, a good Left Guard and good Right Tackle should help him up that yardage by a couple hundred, easily. Running Back is not a need for this team. Not a starting Running Back anyway. The Jets would be foolish to select one. I don't care about the potential, he hasn't proven jack and for all the needs the Jets have, they can't take a back in the 1st round. They just can't. If they do, Tangini should be canned automatically.

THANK YOU!!!! FINALLY SOMEONE SAYS THAT GREAT POST MAN! :)

We NEED Offense.... we have none!!! O-lineman reciever Running back .. and a decent Qb... you start building the offense... The D plays Better... plain and simple.. The D was on the field last year for way too long...

I agree, our offense does blow chunks. In my mock i had our first pick being Manningham. Unfortunately that pick was at number 22, not 6. Just because we are in dire need of offense doesn't mean we reach for McFadden, i know you think he is the second coming, but you have to understand that not everyone is sold on McFadden. Far from it in fact.

You might think some of us are just against drafting RB's in the draft, but that isn't the case either. When Bush and Peterson came out I thought both would be good running backs, peterson more so since he is a north south runner. Had the Jets been in a position to draft either, it would have been an alright decision in my eyes.

With mcfadden it's different, we already have one overpaid runningback...no sense in having two.

I agree, our offense does blow chunks. In my mock i had our first pick being Manningham. Unfortunately that pick was at number 22, not 6. Just because we are in dire need of offense doesn't mean we reach for McFadden, i know you think he is the second coming, but you have to understand that not everyone is sold on McFadden. Far from it in fact.

You might think some of us are just against drafting RB's in the draft, but that isn't the case either. When Bush and Peterson came out I thought both would be good running backs, peterson more so since he is a north south runner. Had the Jets been in a position to draft either, it would have been an alright decision in my eyes.

With mcfadden it's different, we already have one overpaid runningback...no sense in having two.

Mcfadden at 6 is not a reach...

No, I'm not.

If Thomas Jones can run for 1,100+ behind the 2007 Offensive Line, a good Left Guard and good Right Tackle should help him up that yardage by a couple hundred, easily. Running Back is not a need for this team. Not a starting Running Back anyway. The Jets would be foolish to select one. I don't care about the potential, he hasn't proven jack and for all the needs the Jets have, they can't take a back in the 1st round. They just can't. If they do, Tangini should be canned automatically.

The voice of reason. Hopefully the front office will see it this way. However, I hope dmc is available so that we can trade down. If he is there over most of the top 5, we would have an easier time of trading.

The voice of reason. Hopefully the front office will see it this way. However, I hope dmc is available so that we can trade down. If he is there over most of the top 5, we would have an easier time of trading.

Whats with this trading down stuff?? thats not a guarantee either... you take the best athlete availiable... trading down only gives you a couple more lottery tickets...

Gholsten sucks... I dont want an undersized d-lineman... but he has a great motor..yeah great... everyone is picking the jets to take gholsten because they think that is whats needed.. but alot of analysts say that would be a big reach at 6...

Except we'd play him at OLB opposite Thomas or Hobson if we re-sign him. IF you ever really watched one of his games, you'd see how much of a defensive force he is.

The only game I remember him being shut down was the national championship, and that was mainly due to poor coaching by Ohio St. Other then that though, he was always in the backfield making things happen. If we can address the OL through FA, Gholsten would be a great choice. He may be a great choice even if we dont address the line via FA. This draft has been said to be very deep at OL, so there are bound to be some good ones that we can take in the later rds.

When you make comments like that..they HAVE to be joking.. He cant break tackles? oh ok.. but he does go head up on runs..I posted one video of him stiff arming some dudes helmet off his head..

Hes the best player in this draft..everyones number 1... except for mayock.. but he seems to like to be different and sound smart by going against everyone..

A "stiff arm" is NOT breaking a tackle, espeially on that play you call out (yes, I saw your video) against a DB half his size.

The dude runs straight up, does not lower his shoulders and runs through holes that a dump truck could drive through! The fact that a runningback that he shared playing time with also hit 1000 yds and is being considered in the first round also is kinda scary, don't you think? He also runs alot of those plays out of the option, ala Brad Smith.

You want to compare him to Peterson? Watch when Peterson hits the hole with his shoulders down, then when he hits the open field he has a second gear that propels him even faster, sorry, no comparison!

Look, he may wind up being good, but after Blair Thomas ( who I loved) I think it is very shaky taking a rb that high in the draft. Especially with our O line, and don't tell me about the coaches![-X

The D was on the field way too long because they COULDN"T STOP THE RUN!!!!

Most people on this board are like... "Dont take mcfadden" "Take jake long and build up a great o-line then take a riunning back later... but we cant do both at the same time? I dont get it?

We have a running back already, the guy ran for 1100 yds with a crappy O line, shore up the O line through free agency and draft a D lineman or LB to stop the run. Because if we can't stop the run it doesn't matter who runs for us!!

Stupid would be drafting a damn Running Back with the sixth overall pick when the team needs a LG, RT, WR, NT, OLB and CB.

The only problem with that is that the only one of our "needs" who will be there at six will be Gholston, and even he's a reach. LG, RT, and NT can all be found in later rounds. If he's there, McFadden will be amazing value and you have to take him. A sixth-pick running back isn't going to set back a franchise if he flops like a first or second pick quarterback would.

We have a running back already, the guy ran for 1100 yds with a crappy O line, shore up the O line through free agency and draft a D lineman or LB to stop the run. Because if we can't stop the run it doesn't matter who runs for us!!

We should turn that pick into two later ones and draft some linemen.

AD --

6'1"

217 Pounds and runs a 4.4

McFadden --

6'2"

215 Pounds and also runs a 4.4

Now does this mean they'll have the same rookie year ? NO!

But no one, not even Peterson himself thought he'll have the same season he had. Otherwise, he would of been the #1 pick.

Miami: Jake Long

St.Louis: Glen Dorsey

Atlanta: Matt Ryan

Oakland: Sedrick Ellis

Kansas City: Chris Long

New York: Darren McFadden

People don't understand how bright this man's future looks. He's a complete back and is very versatile. He can run, catch, pass, and even block. We have to do everything in our power to get this guy. A play maker is something we NEED!

I had lunch with Tanny yesterday,,McFadden off Jets radar..

Either a trade up for Chris Long or a trade down is whats is coming..

AD --

6'1"

217 Pounds and runs a 4.4

McFadden --

6'2"

215 Pounds and also runs a 4.4

Now does this mean they'll have the same rookie year ? NO!

But no one, not even Peterson himself thought he'll have the same season he had. Otherwise, he would of been the #1 pick.

McFadden is 6'1 211. Even though it's pretty similar. We also haven't seen his 40 time yet, that happens today. If he runs a sub 4.4 or even if he just beats Mendenhall his stock will go right back up IMO. If not, he may not even go in the top 10.

Archived