Lions interested in Vilma

BroadwayJoe12

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply
They'd be alot better if they had Rogers at DT :)

Good point although Drago is right. It will look like Detroit get the better end of the trade as Vilma would put up pro-bowl #'s I'm sure. He'd still have been useless for us, whereas Rogers would be amazing for our D. He'll clog up the middle, and we've needed someone to do that for the last 3 years.

Good point although Drago is right. It will look like Detroit get the better end of the trade as Vilma would put up pro-bowl #'s I'm sure. He'd still have been useless for us, whereas Rogers would be amazing for our D. He'll clog up the middle, and we've needed someone to do that for the last 3 years.

Just like everyone here, I wont care how this trade looks if it improves the Jets. I dont doubt that Vilma will be a great player for the Lions. And Rogers is more of a risk. Still, I do this in a heartbeat. I would love for the Jets to also add Merling or Moore. But I guess if the Jets do this trade then they will have to deprioritize DL in the draft and look for a Tackle in the second round, the only round in which they'll have a chance at Moore.

Just like everyone here, I wont care how this trade looks if it improves the Jets. I dont doubt that Vilma will be a great player for the Lions. And Rogers is more of a risk. Still, I do this in a heartbeat. I would love for the Jets to also add Merling or Moore. But I guess if the Jets do this trade then they will have to deprioritize DL in the draft and look for a Tackle in the second round, the only round in which they'll have a chance at Moore.

Adding Rogers and Vernon Gholston would be the idea situation for me. Especially if we could also get Calvin Pace for the other OLB spot.

Adding Rogers and Vernon Gholston would be the idea situation for me. Especially if we could also get Calvin Pace for the other OLB spot.

That's putting too much money into the OLB position; what are we going to do with the new contract thomas got? and are we going to keep bowens on the bench as well? Rogers and gholston would be a huge improvement and i feel if we could land Red Bryant to play DE our dline would be drastically improved. That would be 300 pounders across the board on the dline and both Rogers and Bryant can occupy multiple blockers with ease, which will allow gholston to wreak havoc in the backfield.

It's a common sense deal. Look at our team this way-Are we better off with Rogers between Ellis and Coleman and drafting a guy like Gholston or Groves to fill out our LB corp, or are we better with Vilma behind Pouha and some 5th or 6th round NT prospect? To me it's a no brainer. Vilma had one good year for us, and quite frankly the whole team that year was playing well above their potential under Henderson. Once Henderson's screaming and fire grew old after one season the whole D reverted to their old selves of sucking-including Vilma-in a 4-3.

If the Jets sign Calvin Pace then they wont draft Gholston. Anyway, if Dorsey's stock drops precipitously then Gholston may move ahead of him into the top five. Lots of teams play 4-3 with an undersized DE so itwouldn't be shocking to see StLoo, Atl or KC taking Gholston.

If the Jets sign Calvin Pace then they wont draft Gholston. Anyway, if Dorsey's stock drops precipitously then Gholston may move ahead of him into the top five. Lots of teams play 4-3 with an undersized DE so itwouldn't be shocking to see StLoo, Atl or KC taking Gholston.

I don't see why not. you can never have enough edge rushers and I sure as Hell would take him over Bryan Thomas who I do not want starting on this team.

I don't see why not. you can never have enough edge rushers and I sure as Hell would take him over Bryan Thomas who I do not want starting on this team.

Because we'd be giving top 10 money to a player to play OLB when we already have a guy in thomas on the team who signed a pretty significant contract extension, not to mention bowens has been playing olb as well. Signing pace won't be cheap and it wouldn't make sense to have 4 guys, 3 of which will be making big money, to fill 2 positions.

Because we'd be giving top 10 money to a player to play OLB when we already have a guy in thomas on the team who signed a pretty significant contract extension, not to mention bowens has been playing olb as well. Signing pace won't be cheap and it wouldn't make sense to have 4 guys, 3 of which will be making big money, to fill 2 positions.

Thomas blows, he is a liability who contributes sweet **** all defence. I don't want him starting on this team no matter what the hell it takes.

Thomas blows, he is a liability who contributes sweet **** all defence. I don't want him starting on this team no matter what the hell it takes.

He's not a liability, he's actually pretty good in coverage and if it weren't for the position switch he probably would have had a similar year as last year. Why would you want to replace him with pace when pace is basically the same guy; a guy who had one good year in his contract year?? Atleast thomas is already under contract and has the same potential if not better than pace. With an improvement on the Dline and a gholston or OLB to lineup opposite him, I'm sure he'll have a better year. This of course is all speculation, but i don't see how Pace is a better option than thomas.

Exactly, you cannot worry about the other teams, just your own.

A rare exception might be looking over your shoulder inside the division; and always trying to move good players out of the conference.

But yet give up on Vilma. Thomas has not had a decent year yet.

Trade Vilma and its gonna be another James Farrior MARK MY WORDS.

I'm not giving up on Vilma. I am suggesting trading him for a starting NT. IJ is talking about cutting Thomas (or, in the case of Farrior, letting him go for nothing). Its different.

In my original post I said "I dont doubt he'll be a great player."

We don't give up on thomas because he is under contract for a few more years not going to be a UFA next year like vilma. Thomas actually fits the 34 extremely well, whereas vilma is a HORRIBLE fit for the 34. I don't understand why you feel it's so important to keep someone who is such a terrible fit in our defense who is going to leave us after this coming year anyways. Thomas did have a good year with us, granted it was only one but atleast he showed potential in playing in our scheme, vilma hasn't showed us anything cept that he's incapable of playing in this.

It doesn't matter, man.

If your team has a probowler, say Lorenzo Neal, but never runs the power-I formation... or never runs period. It wouldn't matter if trading Neal meant he is better on a different team. He is useless in that scenario.

Both Vilma and Thomas will suck in this defence. Well Thomas will suck in any defence.

Vilma will go away an be successful, no one's debating that. But if we keep him he will not, it's in the best interest of both parties to let him go, especially if we could get a Shaun Rogers in return.

Both Vilma and Thomas will suck in this defence. Well Thomas will suck in any defence.

Vilma will go away an be successful, no one's debating that. But if we keep him he will not, it's in the best interest of both parties to let him go, especially if we could get a Shaun Rogers in return.

I think a player like Gholston could come in and make Thomas better. Not only would BT have less pressure on him, allowing him to make plays; but seeing a 20-somethin kid come in and make you look scrawny would send you to the weight room, for sure.

He got his extension for a reason. I'd like to see a repeat of that season.

Vilma will be a monster in the Tampa D, it won't be fair to trade Vilma for Rogers. It just won't.

Rogers will be great in a 3-4 D as a NT, something we need more than anything else. There's a chance to fill our greatest defensive need with a very good player while giving up a player who will never be anything more than average in our current scheme.

It's a no brainer for us. We'd have to pull the trigger on it.

I think a player like Gholston could come in and make Thomas better. Not only would BT have less pressure on him, allowing him to make plays; but seeing a 20-somethin kid come in and make you look scrawny would send you to the weight room, for sure.

He got his extension for a reason. I'd like to see a repeat of that season.

He's had one decent season since becoming a Jet, I don't rate him at all and think he was horribly overated after that decent season. I saw him get blown up by TE's this year when rushing that passer and when playing the run.

Personally I just think he's a terrible player.

We don't give up on thomas because he is under contract for a few more years not going to be a UFA next year like vilma. Thomas actually fits the 34 extremely well, whereas vilma is a HORRIBLE fit for the 34. I don't understand why you feel it's so important to keep someone who is such a terrible fit in our defense who is going to leave us after this coming year anyways. Thomas did have a good year with us, granted it was only one but atleast he showed potential in playing in our scheme, vilma hasn't showed us anything cept that he's incapable of playing in this.

Thomas fits nothing 'extremely well'.

Except maybe the term BUST, which I think he defines.

He's had one decent season since becoming a Jet, I don't rate him at all and think he was horribly overated after that decent season. I saw him get blown up by TE's this year when rushing that passer and when playing the run.

Personally I just think he's a terrible player.

What's your take on Hobson? (as OLB and as ILB)

Rogers will be great in a 3-4 D as a NT, something we need more than anything else. There's a chance to fill our greatest defensive need with a very good player while giving up a player who will never be anything more than average in our current scheme.

It's a no brainer for us. We'd have to pull the trigger on it.

It might look like a fair deal, but Vilma is 3 years younger than him. Vilma will fit better in their defense than Rogers in ours. It's not fair in my honest opinion.

Average although not as bad as Thomas. I'd prefer Bowens who at least showed me something in his limited playing time last season.

We won't be re-signing Hobson IMO, he's as good as gone.

I like Hobson, but mainly as an ILB... an upside is that he could fill in (spot duty) as an OLB in a pinch. I thought Bowens was really starting to come on late in the season. Thomas needs a fire under his ass.

Now, Thomas is good against the run, and decent in coverage.

I think most fans were disappointed in his pass-rushing limitations. The year before he registered what, 7 sacks, 9 sacks (???)

Teams neutralized him this year.

I think he's average against the run and from what I've seen awful in coverage (which is expected of a converted DE).

I watched him specifically at the start of this season and couldn't believe just how bad he actually was, he never seemed to get involved in the play even when they were straight at him. He was pitiful at pass rushing and never attracted double teams. Very rarely did he get any push, the blocker would just stick to him and if anything it was Thomas who would go backwards.

I really just don't rate him at all and hope we can get a major upgrade ther ASAP.

I think he's average against the run and from what I've seen awful in coverage (which is expected of a converted DE).

I watched him specifically at the start of this season and couldn't believe just how bad he actually was, he never seemed to get involved in the play even when they were straight at him. He was pitiful at pass rushing and never attracted double teams. Very rarely did he get any push, the blocker would just stick to him and if anything it was Thomas who would go backwards.

I really just don't rate him at all and hope we can get a major upgrade ther ASAP.

The year before he was a run-stopping machine. Dude needs a fire lit under his ass.

The year before he was a run-stopping machine. Dude needs a fire lit under his ass.

I wish that was the case but remember the one decent year he had was a contract year. I don't think that's a coincidence either. I wouldn't say he was a run stopping machine, our run D was horrible that year and our D didn't have any 'machines' when it came to stopping the run.

I wish that was the case but remember the one decent year he had was a contract year. I don't think that's a coincidence either. I wouldn't say he was a run stopping machine, our run D was horrible that year and our D didn't have any 'machines' when it came to stopping the run.

We went 10-6, made it to the playoffs. First year of transition, mind you.

We went 10-6, made it to the playoffs. First year of transition, mind you.

We played offensive powerhouses such as the Raiders, Dolphins (twice), Bills (Twice), Vikings, Bears, Titans (W/Kerry Collins) and Texans.

The D was far from anything special in 06 and the fact that was even worse in 07 tells me that that 'first year in trasnsition' hasn't exactly progressed well.

It might look like a fair deal, but Vilma is 3 years younger than him. Vilma will fit better in their defense than Rogers in ours. It's not fair in my honest opinion.

Vilma just had a very serious knee injury, and his knee was never in the best shape to begin with. He may never be the player he was at one point again, and because of that--you're right, the trade isn't fair. But its not fair for the Lions, we'd be getting a steal.

Archived