Vilma to Saints, Rogers to Jets?

gangreenman

According to reports, the Jets and Saints are very close to a deal that would send Vilma to New Orleans for what appears to be a draft pick. However, new reports are saying that the Dolphins are close to a deal with the cowboys involving NT Jason Ferguson. Considering Miami was the top compettitor to the Jets for Rogers (according to reports Ive read). This news leaves the Jets as the most likely suitors for Shaun Rogers.

My guess is the Jets would want to work out Shaun Rogers first. If we can get him without giving up Vilma (maybe Drob and a late rder?), then we may want to keep Vilma until a team bids higher then a 3rd rounder. Granted, Vilma's not a good 3-4 LB, but with Rogers in front of him, he should improve his game to be worth higher then a 3rd rder. That is, of course, if he is healthy.

Source for reports: Rotoworld

Keeping Vilma would equate to trading away a 3rd round pick this year to use him for the 2008 season. He's not re-signing with us.

Teams that are interested in getting him long-term are being stingy with giving up a 3rd for him. We should (effectively) give up a 3rd just to use him for 1 more year?

No f'ing way.

Take what we can get.

Keeping Vilma would equate to trading away a 3rd round pick this year to use him for the 2008 season. He's not re-signing with us.

Teams that are interested in getting him long-term are being stingy with giving up a 3rd for him. We should (effectively) give up a 3rd just to use him for 1 more year?

No f'ing way.

Take what we can get.

True, but if we can work out Rogers within the next week, we should at least hold off on Vilma until draft day IMO. That 3rd rd offer will probably still be available then, if not higher.

All of these press releases makes me think the Jets are just pitting one against the other, alas John Abraham.

Dumb f'ing luck, and I'll take it. Two teams are unloading huge NT's and we need one. Plus we have expendable, young players who fit on their teams (or who can be traded for draft picks of similar value to the NT's).

It was just as likely (actually MORE likely) that Rogers/Jenkins were not available & we'd be going into our 3rd straight draft with no NT.

I'll take the luck this time around. About time.

Dumb f'ing luck, and I'll take it. Two teams are unloading huge NT's and we need one. Plus we have expendable, young players who fit on their teams (or who can be traded for draft picks of similar value to the NT's).

It was just as likely (actually MORE likely) that Rogers/Jenkins were not available & we'd be going into our 3rd straight draft with no NT.

I'll take the luck this time around. About time.

I agree, but with two on the market it seems that Tangini are up to their old tricks.

UPDATE:

NFL.com, siting a New Orleans newspaper website, has just reported that a Vilma to Saints deal is likely to be announced sometime Friday.

...If this is true, I'd be off the mark, I wonder what we're getting for him. Again though, its only one beat reporter, so you never know.

UPDATE:

NFL.com, siting a New Orleans newspaper website, has just reported that a Vilma to Saints deal is likely to be announced sometime Friday.

...If this is true, I'd be off the mark, I wonder what we're getting for him. Again though, its only one beat reporter, so you never know.

It better be more than just a 3rd.

No f'ing way.

Take what we can get.

Agreed. We don't know if he'll fit in any better with Rogers in front of him. I don't want to lose him next off season for zippo. Get what we can NOW.

KFFL.com:

Jets | Team close to sending Vilma to New Orleans?

Thu, 28 Feb 2008 20:07:58 -0800

Tom Rock, of Newsday, reports the New York Jets are close to sending LB Jonathan Vilma to the New Orleans Saints, according to two sources. The Jets will receive a conditional draft pick, likely in the 2009 NFL Draft, based on Vilma's production, according to a league source.

Looks like a conditional pick seems more and more likely. Hey, if Vilma performs like we all think he will once he's back in the 43, the Jets should have a second round pick from New Orleans in the 2009 Draft. Not bad.

KFFL.com:

Looks like a conditional pick seems more and more likely. Hey, if Vilma performs like we all think he will once he's back in the 43, the Jets should have a second round pick from New Orleans in the 2009 Draft. Not bad.

Interesting.

If this works out, we will have 2 extra picks in next years draft (Kendall trade), and we havent even started this year yet, lol.

KFFL.com:

This would be ideal; we'd have ourselves a pretty decent draft next year what with the 4th from Washington and an extra second.

Archived