Jets are right now $20M under the cap.

Sperm Edwards

I don't know how to upload this stuff into a working web page, but I added up everyone's cap hits & the top 53 players under contract came to about $96M. This includes the dead cap space for McCareins, Kendall, Dyson, Schlegel, and a couple of barely-significant ones like Houston & Clarke.

It does not include Faneca or Jenkins since they're not on the team & I'd have to wait to see the individual, annual salaries to figure that out anyway.

Further possibilities (I'm not rendering an opinion as to keep/cut with these; merely that they are players that people have asked about here) if we cut/trade any of the following, and the additional NET savings/hit on the 2008 cap, rounded to the nearest million:

• DRob: $8M
  • Coles: $3M
  • Barton: $3M
  • Barrett: $3M
  • Pennington: $2M
  • Vilma: $1M
  • Ellis: -$2M (costs more to cut than keep; not happening)

All others save ~$700K or less on the 2008 cap. Biggest of the next group seem to be:

• Chatham: $730K
  • Spencer: $700K
  • Bowens: $683K
  • Clement: $530K
  • Miller, Hunter, Mosely: $520K
  • (Technically Rhodes also frees $520K, but we're looking to extend him not set him free. Also Kassell probably is around $500K as well, but we just gave him a new contract so he's not getting moved).

Everyone else saves less than $500K to cut or trade. In practical terms, that is almost zero b/c no one is going to count less than $370K on the top-53.

what is with the 31 million dollar figure that has been thrown around quite a bit lately?

I can't see how they came up with that number.

Players were given a certain amount of money in signing bonus. That comes off the cap. They have a certain salary; that comes off the cap. They are due certain roster bonuses & incentives; that comes off the cap.

Went player by player.

Math isn't your best subject I take it.

By the way you should read my topics because i posted this a long time ago yesterday.

Jets are 20 million on the cap i posted that yesterday do your research.

If the Jets trade Robertson the Jets will have 28.4 Million on the cap if we get rid of Chad thats another 10 million off the door he is the highest paid Jet. So i dont need to get my math straight at all im right close. I made a prediction with Chad's cap #s because i dont know them but if we trade Robertson we save 8.4 Million dollors if you like the link for that topic ask and i'll give it to you.

No harm done bud :box:

Players were given a certain amount of money in signing bonus. That comes off the cap. They have a certain salary; that comes off the cap. They are due certain roster bonuses & incentives; that comes off the cap.

Went player by player.

They probably don't include the roster bonuse off the cap, until they are actually due.

Went player by player.

Thats cool, i don't doubt your number, i was just wondering where that 31 million number came from that i have seen floating around.

By the way you should read my topics because i posted this a long time ago yesterday.

If the Jets trade Robertson the Jets will have 28.4 Million on the cap if we get rid of Chad thats another 10 million off the door he is the highest paid Jet. So i dont need to get my math straight at all im right close. I made a prediction with Chad's cap #s because i dont know them but if we trade Robertson we save 8.4 Million dollors if you like the link for that topic ask and i'll give it to you.

don't worry about SE doing his research-he's our resident capologist Jedi and his numbers are very detailed and always spot on as best that they can be detrermined

Pennington counts $7.8M on the cap this year as it stands (if we keep him).

$4.8M of that is straight salary.

He has $6M of his 2004 signing bonus that has to come off the cap. Two years left on that contract. If kept, that's $3M this year and $3M next year.

If we cut/trade him prior to June 1st, all $6M of that accelerates to this season. So we save his $4.8M salary, but incur an additional $3M in accelerated cap hit. Net = $1.8M savings.

If we cut/trade him after June 1st, then only $3M of the SB counts in '08. So we'd save $4.8M on the '08 cap in that case. But then we'd have a $3M dead-cap hole in next year's cap.

Pennington counts $7.8M on the cap this year as it stands (if we keep him).

$4.8M of that is straight salary.

He has $6M of his 2004 signing bonus that has to come off the cap. Two years left on that contract. If kept, that's $3M this year and $3M next year.

If we cut/trade him prior to June 1st, all $6M of that accelerates to this season. So we save his $4.8M salary, but incur an additional $3M in accelerated cap hit. Net = $1.8M savings.

If we cut/trade him after June 1st, then only $3M of the SB counts in '08. So we'd save $4.8M on the '08 cap in that case. But then we'd have a $3M dead-cap hole in next year's cap.

Thanks for the #'s i was not that far off. If we trade Robertson and Chad we will have over 30 million on the cap is that a overstatement or wrong by any means?

LoL you are so out of your league here bro.. you will soon learn Sperm knows all.

Archived