PACE UNDECIDED BETWEEN NYJ AND MIAMI

gangreenman

He finallly got his oportunity this year

Started all 16 games in 2003 and got a grand total of 32 tackles and 1 sack.

Played in 14 games in 2004 and got a grand total of 12 tackles and 4.5 sacks.

Injured most of 2005.

Played in all 16 games in 2006 and got a whopping 29 tackles and 1 sack.

Pace had has chances prior to this past season. Difference is none of them came in a contract year. I am always weary of these one-year wonder players in every sport, not just football. I'd rather the Jets draft pass rushers in both the 1st and second round.

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply
IF the OSU coach was smart enough to send a blitzer his side, Gholston would have been freed up.

I have a weird feeling that Tressel knows the game better than any of us here. I'm sure he made adjustments

Speed rushers get double teamed all the time in the NFL

I think Gholston will be gone....I have a weird feeling that is who Miami ends up with because Tuna loves ends....ie Ware, Spears, and Canty with Dalas....Abe and Ellis here

This is how he sets up his teams

I see what you mean about Tuna's love for LB's (Farrior included). But for him to go after Gholston, he would likely trade out of the #1 spot. This also means someone wants to trade up to #1(Dallas has two #1 picks) Which means McFadden will be a goner.

Injured most of 2005.

Pace had has chances prior to this past season. Difference is none of them came in a contract year. I am always weary of these one-year wonder players in every sport, not just football. I'd rather the Jets draft pass rushers in both the 1st and second round.

Well take into consideration that 2007 was his first season in a 3-4 and the fact that the Cards defense is horrible. I hear you though - but I will trust the Jets on this one. You are not picking Pace to pass rush only, he is going to play over the TE in our base defense. Like I posted earlier if we get a guy like Gholston he can move inside on 3rd downs. Which would be perfect since you don't really want Barton on the field then anyway.

Injured most of 2005.

Didn't Wisenhunt change to the 3/4 last year

I think that is what the difference is....JMO

I have a weird feeling that Tressel knows the game better than any of us here. I'm sure he made adjustments

The thing is, he did not send a blitzer Gholston's side at all. Hell, I cant remember a time OSU sent a blitzer from any side during that game.

You can only double team so many people. The issue is really can he beat a double team with added pass rushing moves or not.

I see what you mean about Tuna's love for LB's (Farrior included). But for him to go after Gholston, he would likely trade out of the #1 spot. This also means someone wants to trade up to #1(Dallas has tow #1 picks) Which means McFadden will be a goner.

This may be exactly what happens but I see Parcells taking McFadden instead of Gholston.

He is EXACTLY like Bryan Thomas. Comparing him to Adalius Thomas is just bat**** crazy.

BT and CP:

1st round busts at DE - Check

Had decent, supposedly breakthrough seasons after moving to LB in the 3-4 - Check

Those seasons also just happened to be their contract years - Check

Pace wasn't even as productive last year as BT was in '06! The Jets never learn their ****ing lesson. This move has trouble written all over it.

Calvin Pace = Bryan Thomas Part 2.

Will our pass rush be improved? Yes. Pace is better than Hobson, no matter if he is a bust or not.

But, our pass rush will be most improved because of Jenkins. Hopefully Thomas, who said he didn't do much last offseason, works his arse off this offseason and returns to his 2006 form, although I doubt it. Pace, if we sign him, better not be like Thomas '07.

He is EXACTLY like Bryan Thomas. Comparing him to Adalius Thomas is just bat**** crazy.

BT and CP:

Had decent, supposedly breakthrough seasons after moving to LB in the 3-4 - Check

Pace wasn't even as productive last year as BT was in '06! The Jets never learn their ****ing lesson. This move has trouble written all over it.

Yeah but it's only money... I like the risk.

You can only double team so many people. The issue is really can he beat a double team with added pass rushing moves or not.

Seems to be a workout warrior. ie DSlob

The thing is, this team need HR hitters...we don;t have enough

DMC is like Reggie Jackson....he can go yard at any given time

I like that option

Calvin Pace = Bryan Thomas Part 2.

Will our pass rush be improved? Yes. Pace is better than Hobson, no matter if he is a bust or not.

But, our pass rush will be most improved because of Jenkins. Hopefully Thomas, who said he didn't do much last offseason, works his arse off this offseason and returns to his 2006 form, although I doubt it. Pace, if we sign him, better not be like Thomas '07.

I agree. No matter what Pace does he's an upgrade over Hobson. Question is will he be worth all the cap room we'll be forking over to him?

Yea. But what about Mendenhall?

I cant see the Jets going with a RB though, so Mendenhall is probably a moot point.

Now that you mentioned it, him too. But we already have Jones. A Rogers-Cromartie Revis combo would be insane.

This may be exactly what happens but I see Parcells taking McFadden instead of Gholston.

No way does Parcells take a RB i the 1st....goes away from his philosophy

Which in turn could be Mangini's....but Bellifat took Maroney in the 1st, I think Mangini is more like Bellicheat

BT and CP:

No offense but you obviously know nothing about both this player and the difference between a strong side LBers job and a weakside LBers job. Pace has play ILB effectively in the past also. This is something BT has never done. I agree about the breakout season in a contract year thing. But he is a totally different player than BT is.

Now that you mentioned it, him too. But we already have Jones. A Rogers-Cromartie Revis combo would be insane.

Without a pass rush it'll seem like the most overrated secondary in the history of the NFL. Truth is, nobody can cover these athletic WR's for 5 seconds per play, every play.

Without a pass rush it'll seem like the most overrated secondary in the history of the NFL. Truth is, nobody can cover these athletic WR's for 5 seconds per play, every play.

I agree...but Rome wasnt built in a day. This year at 6 BAP seems like the best way to go. Id rather take DRC than risk it on a guy like Goulston.

Seems to be a workout warrior. ie DSlob

The thing is, this team need HR hitters...we don;t have enough

DMC is like Reggie Jackson....he can go yard at any given time

I like that option

I would rather take Rodgers-Cromartie or trade down with dallas and grab a pass rushing LB, and CB later in the round than take DMC.

I agree...but Rome wasnt built in a day. This year at 6 BAP seems like the best way to go. Id rather take DRC than risk it on a guy like Goulston.

DRC certainly will not be the BAP. Again, BAP also depends on the team. For example, if the Chargers were picking, the BAP would never, ever be a RB.

Same for the Jets. People say BAP and need are different, when in truth, BAP is just another way of saying need.

DRC certainly will not be the BAP. Again, BAP also depends on the team. For example, if the Chargers were picking, the BAP would never, ever be a RB.

Same for the Jets. People say BAP and need are different, when in truth, BAP is just another way of saying need.

When I see BAP..I think of the best player available, regardless of position or team need.

No offense but you obviously know nothing about both this player and the difference between a strong side LBers job and a weakside LBers job. Pace has play ILB effectively in the past also. This is something BT has never done. I agree about the breakout season in a contract year thing. But he is a totally different player than BT is.

You know who else can play inside or outside? Eric Barton. That doesn't make him ****ing Adalius Thomas.

No offense, but you once told me Devery Henderson was better than Jericho Cotchery.

When I see BAP..I think of the best player available, regardless of position or team need.

He has a point tho, the Chargers will never select a RB in the 1st round.

How about BAP for your team ? McFadden will be that guy for us. ;)

You know who else can play inside or outside? Eric Barton. That doesn't make him ****ing Adalius Thomas.

No offense, but you once told me Devery Henderson was better than Jericho Cotchery.

WTF does that have to do with anything? LOL! Barton can play inside in a 3-4 or outside in a 4-3 - but not outside in a 3-4. He doesn't have the ability to put his hand on the ground if need be. You have no clue wtf you are talking about here.

But who decides who the Best Player Available is?

Do you think the Chargers would ever draft a RB in round 1? Do you think the Patriots would ever draft a QB round 1? Do you think the Bengals will ever draft a WR round 1?

Best player available is contingent upon which team is drafting, and what they're needs are. Therefore, BAP is the same thing as need. Really, there's no other way to draft.

Thomas' struggles came from two things IMO.

1. He admitted to not working as hard on his game during the offseason as years past, and that hurt his game. If he is able to turn the switch back on and work his arse off, maybe he'll be able to return to his '06 form and pressure the Quarterback and sack him 8-10 times a year. Maybe.

And

2. Bryan Thomas played on the opposite side of the field in 2007. In 2006, he rushed the blindside of most Quarterbacks (Right handed throwing Quarterbacks). Is that the Weakside or the Strongside? I don't know, and frankly I don't give a ****. Why was Victor Hobson rushing the blindside for the majority of the season? Did Mangini just want to test Hobson in his contract year to see how he'd fair, or did Mangini secretly know from Thomas' mouth that Thomas did not take the offseason seriously?

I wish I had answers to these.

Archived