About that "A-rod" guy

Blackout

I was thinking about how earlier in the offseason he opted out and I said good riddance and all that.

but really, since he's come to NY he's had THE best season ever by a 3rd baseman, he's won two MVP's, and he's also sadly been one of many Yankees to under-preform in the playoffs (except for his series against the Twins, he won that for us)

YANKEE ALL-TIME RECORDS:

OPS Rank Player OPS PA

1. Babe Ruth 1.195 9197

2. Lou Gehrig 1.079 9660

3. Mickey Mantle .978 9909

4. Joe DiMaggio .977 7671

5. Alex Rodriguez .976 2795

6. Jason Giambi .935 3128

7. Charlie Keller .928 4466

8. Reggie Jackson .897 2707

9. George Selkirk .883 3322

10. Tommy Henrich .873 5409

On-base % Rank Player OBP PA

1. Babe Ruth .484 9197

2. Lou Gehrig .447 9660

3. Mickey Mantle .421 9909

4. Jason Giambi .410 3128

Charlie Keller .410 4466

6. Alex Rodriguez .403 2795

7. George Selkirk .400 3322

8. Joe DiMaggio .398 7671

9. Earle Combs .397 6507

10. Wade Boggs .396 2600

Slugging % Rank Player SLG PA

1. Babe Ruth .711 9197

2. Lou Gehrig .632 9660

3. Joe DiMaggio .579 7671

4. Alex Rodriguez .573 2795

5. Mickey Mantle .557 9909

6. Reggie Jackson .526 2707

7. Jason Giambi .525 3128

8. Charlie Keller .518 4466

9. Roger Maris .515 3475

10. Alfonso Soriano .502 2150

Those are some amazing names to be involved with. You don't see Jeter or Bernie or Jorge anywhere. Interesting.

Here's a Yankees career list I expect to see Alex in soon:

Home Runs Rank Player HR PA

1. Babe Ruth 659 9197

2. Mickey Mantle 536 9909

3. Lou Gehrig 493 9660

4. Joe DiMaggio 361 7671

5. Yogi Berra 358 8355

6. Bernie Williams 287 9053

7. Graig Nettles 250 6247

8. Don Mattingly 222 7721

9. Jorge Posada 218 5679

10. Dave Winfield 205 5021

Alex is at 173 so far.

ahh I can't wait for baseball.

Yes, but can he get the big hit off Dontrelle Willis in the ALDS to advance the Yanks to the next round? Can he clobber one off Josh Beckett in Game 7 of the ALCS? Can he pound out a bases clearing double off Johan to take home the trophy? Show me that A-Rod, and I'll show him proper respect.

Yes, but can he get the big hit off Dontrelle Willis in the ALDS to advance the Yanks to the next round? Can he clobber one off Josh Beckett in Game 7 of the ALCS? Can he pound out a bases clearing double off Johan to take home the trophy? Show me that A-Rod, and I'll show him proper respect.

you don't give "proper respect" to Teddy Ballgame or Ty Cobb? or Ernie Banks?

Clutch is a myth.

Bases loaded, two outs, bottom of the ninth, World Series, there are very few players I'd rather have up there than A-Rod. In fact, there probably is not one.

I would almost agree with this if not for the fact that I've pretty much lost count of how many times this guy has failed to show up in a big series. He's had a milliion shots and has shown up to play less than a half dozen times IMO. There are A LOT of guys I'd take over A-Rod in a big spot based on the fact they have proven they don't tense up and choke when it matters most. Hell, a choice between Manny or A-Rod in a WS game...I'm taking Manny every time.

I do agree with a point that's been made on here though. IF A-Rod ever has a big series it might be the "monkey off his back" that finally gets him playing in the post season the same way he does in the regular season. Until that time he's one of the last guys I want to see at the plate when the game is on the line.

I would almost agree with this if not for the fact that I've pretty much lost count of how many times this guy has failed to show up in a big series. He's had a milliion shots and has shown up to play less than a half dozen times IMO. There are A LOT of guys I'd take over A-Rod in a big spot based on the fact they have proven they don't tense up and choke when it matters most. Hell, a choice between Manny or A-Rod in a WS game...I'm taking Manny every time.

I do agree with a point that's been made on here though. IF A-Rod ever has a big series it might be the "monkey off his back" that finally gets him playing in the post season the same way he does in the regular season. Until that time he's one of the last guys I want to see at the plate when the game is on the line.

ARod has had big series' before in the postseason. If you play in the postseason enough times, everyone will have bad series. Hell, even Captain Clutch himself has **** the bed in the playoffs. I hate to sound like madmike, but it really is just a small sample size. Player's bats get hot and cold at various points all season long. Sometimes, they just happen to go cold (or hot) in October.

ARod has had big series' before in the postseason. If you play in the postseason enough times, everyone will have bad series. Hell, even Captain Clutch himself has **** the bed in the playoffs. I hate to sound like madmike, but it really is just a small sample size. Player's bats get hot and cold at various points all season long. Sometimes, they just happen to go cold (or hot) in October.

Again, I think his sample size is now large enough to call him a complete friggin failure in the post season. For what he makes and the talent he has there is no way I'll believe he's not pressing at the plate and it's all in his head at this point. How else do you explain a multiple time MVP player going on something like a 4-41 stretch in the post season. That's gotta be a record of some kind. I mean, maybe I'm being a bit rough on the guy since I think he's among the biggest pieces of $h!t in pro sports and easily the biggest phony in MLB but still..everyone has slumps in the post season. The "greatest player of all time" shouldn't have people leaping out of there seats because he slaps a single to left field in the post season.

Again, I think his sample size is now large enough to call him a complete friggin failure in the post season. For what he makes and the talent he has there is no way I'll believe he's not pressing at the plate and it's all in his head at this point. How else do you explain a multiple time MVP player going on something like a 4-41 stretch in the post season. That's gotta be a record of some kind. I mean, maybe I'm being a bit rough on the guy since I think he's among the biggest pieces of $h!t in pro sports and easily the biggest phony in MLB but still..everyone has slumps in the post season. The "greatest player of all time" shouldn't have people leaping out of there seats because he slaps a single to left field in the post season.

Derek Jeter has hit .111, .200 (twice), .211, .118, .148, .233, and .176 in various postseason series.

Ted Williams hit .200 in his only World Series.

Mickey Mantle hit .200 (twice), .208, .167, .120, and .133 in six World Series. In fact, in the 12 WS he played in, he hit over .300 only twice. His career postseason average was 41 points lower than his regular season average.

**** happens.

Derek Jeter has hit .111, .200 (twice), .211, .118, .148, .233, and .176 in various postseason series.

Mickey Mantle hit .200 (twice), .208, .167, .120, and .133 in six World Series. In fact, in the 12 WS he played in, he hit over .300 only twice. His career postseason average was 41 points lower than his regular season average.

**** happens.

Jeter's also hit .400 in many 8 different series

**** happens.

You can't just cherry pick stats that serve your argument, based upon short series.

What you have to do is look at the production during the regular season and then look at an entire sample for a decent sampling of post season.

If there is either a sizable gain or decline, you can surmise that person is either a person that steps up in post season or not.

This is not hard. A-Rod is a guy that does not step up and his stats are very different.

And its not that Arod goes 1 for 12 in a series thats the biggest issue, its HOW he does it. He looks completely clueless at the plate, swinging at garbage, striking out looking, popping up on a 3-0 count etc etc etc. I loved how when the series was essentially over in game 4 last year in the ALDS, Arod hit a meaningless home run in the 8th inning. Story of his life as a Yankee.

But I do think he'll have a huge postseason eventually for us and win a few championships, but until he actually does that, I cannot actually say that for certain.

You can't just cherry pick stats that serve your argument, based upon short series.

What you have to do is look at the production during the regular season and then look at an entire sample for a decent sampling of post season.

If there is either a sizable gain or decline, you can surmise that person is either a person that steps up in post season or not.

This is not hard. A-Rod is a guy that does not step up and his stats are very different.

ARod is a .306 regular season hitter. He is a .279 postseason hitter. So he's not as good in the postseason, but he's still better than Mickey Mantle. Poor Yankee fans.

A-Rod

1 HR every 14 ABs during the regular season

1 HR every 21 ABs when the lights get brighter

Derek Jeter

1 HR every 38 ABs in the regular season

1 HR every 29 ABs when the lights get brigher

Some guys step it up and play bigger and better...others curl up in to a ball and pray for the series to end.

A-Rod has had several solid playoff series as a player. However, in NY, where the glare is brighter than anywhere else, in the post-season, he has had only 1 really solid series, the one against the Twins in 2004. Otherwise, he has struggled mightily, and at times looked pretty sorry.

I really think that he does tighten up somewhat in the post-season. However, I would like to see the Yankees play a postseason series with some solid starting pitching from their side, for once. Take the pressure off the hitters.

Then, we shall see. It's tough to hit well when your stater is getting bombed time and again.

A-Rod has had several solid playoff series as a player. However, in NY, where the glare is brighter than anywhere else, in the post-season, he has had only 1 really solid series, the one against the Twins in 2004. Otherwise, he has struggled mightily, and at times looked pretty sorry.

I really think that he does tighten up somewhat in the post-season. However, I would like to see the Yankees play a postseason series with some solid starting pitching from their side, for once. Take the pressure off the hitters.

Then, we shall see. It's tough to hit well when your stater is getting bombed time and again.

Only "somewhat" eh? Arod tightens up like salt on a slug. :lol:

you don't give "proper respect" to Teddy Ballgame or Ty Cobb? or Ernie Banks?

Not Cobb, since he beat up a guy in a wheelchair and generally was incredibly racist, but I do have a lot of respect for Williams and Banks.

A-Rod is not in their category, so I don't know what you're trying to get at here.

Archived