For those who want to draft a QB

Jetlag

It looks like there may be a good chance that Matt Ryan and Joe Flacco could be drafted before the Jets second pick leaving Louisville's Brian Brohm.

If that's the case then do we draft Brohm? I'm not necessarily for getting a QB at this pick but if Ryan or Flacco were there, I'd understand. Brohm seems very Pennington-esque. Has anyone seen differently?

NO.

If Tangini drafts another QB rd 2, Woody better pick up the phone and can both of them immediately.

1st of all, it would send the message that neither Clemens, who they took when they couldve had Leinart, and Pennington, who they had ample opportunity to cut, are good enough to get us to the next level. If this is true, our franchise is set back another 2 or 3 years, at least.

2nd, it would make the 2006 draft a complete waste. If we take a QB Rd 2, that means the only two capable starters to come out of the 10 picks in that draft were Dbrick and Mangold. Both were taken in the 1st rd and both were lineman. Leon, Smith, and Smith are all good special teams players and can fill in here and there when needed, but none of the three are capable of full time starting. So basically, the 2006 draft was either good or terrible, depending on Clemens.

NO.

If Tangini drafts another QB rd 2, Woody better pick up the phone and can both of them immediately.

1st of all, it would send the message that neither Clemens, who they took when they couldve had Leinart, and Pennington, who they had ample opportunity to cut, are good enough to get us to the next level. If this is true, our franchise is set back another 2 or 3 years, at least.

2nd, it would make the 2006 draft a complete waste. If we take a QB Rd 2, that means the only two capable starters to come out of the 10 picks in that draft were Dbrick and Mangold. Both were taken in the 1st rd and both were lineman. Leon, Smith, and Smith are all good special teams players and can fill in here and there when needed, but none of the three are capable of full time starting. So basically, the 2006 draft was either good or terrible, depending on Clemens.

Umm...Leinart is awful. Schlegel, Smith, and Smith killed what should have been a strong draft.

Clemens? Who knows. If he doesn't get any better then it was foolish to draft a premiere QB talent when the opportunity was there. But not Leinart. He sucked with Fitzgerald-Boldin-Johnson. What would he have done with Cotchery-McCareins-Brad Smith in the wind & freezing cold in NY, NJ, and MA?

Keep drafting QBs until you find one. Not saying I want Brohm or Ryan, but until we find our QB (and maybe it is Clemens), we need to keep searching for one.

At the very worst we have 2 young QBs, so you cant go wrong if both pan out.

I'm not for drafting a QB at all when Clemen's didn't really have a chance to show what he had last year, and should be given at least this season to see what we got. That being said unless Ryan falls to 6 and they feel he is a franchise QB, then don't bother drafting one this year. I could live with Ryan at 6 if they believe he's a franchise caliber player since at 6 you gotta pay franchise money anyway.

Keep drafting QBs until you find one. Not saying I want Brohm or Ryan, but until we find our QB (and maybe it is Clemens), we need to keep searching for one.

At the very worst we have 2 young QBs, so you cant go wrong if both pan out.

Exactly. I'd much rather be in the situation the Chargers and Browns have recently been in than the situation the Ravens and Bears have recently been in. Not having a QB at all pretty much kills you. They finally got someone that might be decent in Troy Smith I believe it was, but the Bears still are working with Grossman-Orton-Griese, and that's not the recipe for success.

QB is a bit different than RB and other positions, where everyone knows you can't keep two players for the same position and you're going to cut one (although that's no longer necessarily true either, see the Saints, and the Chargers for like 3 years). SOMEBODY will probably offer you something substantial for the QB you're not going to be using if they actually think he will be good too.

If we get a QB in the first round that means one or two things. Clemens learning is going so bad that he can not fit in our system or there trying to bring some heat and fire into Clemens so he can prove himself in the New York spot light.

Neither way i would not be dispointed if we drafted a QB in Mangini i trust so whatever moves he makes i'll support it TILL i see a good reason not too.

I'm not for drafting a QB at all when Clemen's didn't really have a chance to show what he had last year, and should be given at least this season to see what we got. That being said unless Ryan falls to 6 and they feel he is a franchise QB, then don't bother drafting one this year. I could live with Ryan at 6 if they believe he's a franchise caliber player since at 6 you gotta pay franchise money anyway.

Our line is the only reason I wouldn't draft one, but I agree with some of the other posters, you keep drafting at least one a year until you find your qb that takes you to the super bowl. Doesn't mean you have to draft a high one. I do think you have to take a chance on flacco. He has nice intangibles. He is a little slow footed and needs more pocket awareness. I haven't seen the kid play just looking at his stats and bio's.

This might be the year to take a flyer on a later round QB, not to waste a day 1 pick on. Clemens showed potential this year, he can only get better with a real OL.

If Henne or Woodson are there in the 4th I have no problem snagging either one but this QB class is exceptionally weak. So I'm not sold on most of the class.

Exactly. I'd much rather be in the situation the Chargers and Browns have recently been in than the situation the Ravens and Bears have recently been in. Not having a QB at all pretty much kills you. They finally got someone that might be decent in Troy Smith I believe it was, but the Bears still are working with Grossman-Orton-Griese, and that's not the recipe for success.

QB is a bit different than RB and other positions, where everyone knows you can't keep two players for the same position and you're going to cut one (although that's no longer necessarily true either, see the Saints, and the Chargers for like 3 years). SOMEBODY will probably offer you something substantial for the QB you're not going to be using if they actually think he will be good too.

Exactly. And imo, the Jets need to draft another high potential QB in the upcoming draft.

Archived