PFW | Whispers | Cotchery team's premier offensive player

rick34125

From Profootballweekly.com

We hear that at least part of the reason the Jets are reluctant to meet WR Laveranues Coles’ demand for a long-term extension is the inevitability that fellow starting WR Jerricho Cotchery would expect similar treatment. Cotchery is arguably the team’s premier offensive player.

hmmm... interesting. Cotchery is a great second receiver but is he really a premier player... at least yet?

I would think the reluctance would come from the fact he's old, not very fast anymore, and a head case(I'm not just talking about the concussions). He thinks he's a top 5 receiver and has been payed as a top 5 receiver, problem is he hasn't played like one.

I could name 20 just off the top of my head I would rather have.

Cotchery is a great #2 and I absolutely love him there.

He could be a #1 for short periods but would get exposed vs elite opposition.

I love Cotch though, definetly one of my faves right now.

Cotchery is a very good #2.

So is Coles.

the problem is 1 of them needs to be a #1 or we need to acquire one.

Cotchery is a very good #2.

So is Coles.

the problem is 1 of them needs to be a #1 or we need to acquire one.

Together though they are a pretty decent tandem. If we had a decent deep threat even as a #3 I'd be more than happy with that WR core.

Together though they are a pretty decent tandem. If we had a decent deep threat even as a #3 I'd be more than happy with that WR core.

Yeah a good deep threat and we'd have a DECENT (that's all I'll say) WR lineup. Still no really big time go to guy though. Coles flashes it sometimes, but he's coverable. Someone like #85 who gets open a lot, or even better, #84 on that same team.. Or #81 on Dallas (I know he's a headache.. I'm just talking ON THE FIELD).

I would think the reluctance would come from the fact he's old, not very fast anymore, and a head case(I'm not just talking about the concussions). He thinks he's a top 5 receiver and has been payed as a top 5 receiver, problem is he hasn't played like one.

I could name 20 just off the top of my head I would rather have.

20?? for the time being or the future? or both???

tory holt

plaxico burress

chad johnson

randy moss

marques colston

terrell owens

roy williams

braylon edwards

wes welker

steve smith

hines ward

brandon marshall (maybe)

20?

Are you serious blackout?

Terrell Owens, Randy Moss, Tory Holt, Chad Johnson, Anquan Boldin, Larry Fitzgerald, Roy Williams, Wes Welker, Hines Ward, Plaxico Burress, TJ Whoseyourmama, Braylon Edwards, Andre Johnson, Reggie Wayne, Lee Evans, Marques Colston, Steve Smith, Donald Driver, Dwayne Bowe, Marvin Harrison, Calvin Johnson, JERRICHO COTCHERY and maybe even yes, Santana Moss.

No, lol. No. No. No. No. Too early. And No.

You'd take coles over TJ whosurdaddy?

Let me know when TJ Whoswhatever is the #1 target on his team and is still racking up 1,000 yards. Until then, I'd go with Coles. Same with Cotchery, never been a teams #1 guy like Coles has.

And I'm still laughing over Wes Welker being better than Coles, lol.

Plaxico aint sh#t either. Dude was a soft overrated clown until this past season.

Let me know when TJ Whoswhatever is the #1 target on his team and is still racking up 1,000 yards. Until then, I'd go with Coles. Same with Cotchery, never been a teams #1 guy like Coles has.

And I'm still laughing over Wes Welker being better than Coles, lol.

Plaxico aint sh#t either. Dude was a soft overrated clown until this past season.

I'd take Greg Jennings over Coles and even over Donald Driver.

Coles over Burress??? Are you for real???

Since when was Burress so great???

Last I checked I'd almost rather have the guy who plays hurt and leaves it all on the field no matter how chitty the team around him is then the guy who takes plays off when the plays not going to him and he's not on a SB caliber team.

Last I checked I'd almost rather have the guy who plays hurt and leaves it all on the field no matter how chitty the team around him is then the guy who takes plays off when the plays not going to him and he's not on a SB caliber team.

Burress takes plays off when the plays aren't going to him? Haven't heard any on-field issues like that with him since he went to the Giants.

Last I checked, Burress was playing through injuries all season & started every game. Coles is the one who missed games to injury, not Plaxico. Missed 1/4 of the season outright, left another game after 1 play to him, and wasn't able to start in 2 others.

Also, Plaxico is one of they key reasons they are a SB caliber team. They go nowhere without him, no matter how well the defense played. Or do you think that Sinorice Moss would have made up for his absence?

You'd be hard-pressed to find a single non-Jets fan that would rather have Coles.

Did you watch him at all this season.

He played hurt all year and still put up unbelievable numbers. The Giants looked far from a SB claiber team at the beginning of the year and Plax was still giving his all and playing very, very well.

Really? Have you watched a Giants game the past three years? :confused0058:

'07 - 70 receptions, 1,025 yards, 12 TD's

'06 - 63 receptions, 988 yards, 10 TD's - 15 games

'05 - 76 receptions, 1,214 yards, 7 TD's

You know, a receiver that actually GETS INTO THE FREAKIN' ENDZONE. And plays with far worse injuries than Coles had. Far worse. Coles a warrior? Yes, but has he ever played with what Burress played with in '07? Doubt it.

Not everyone can rack up their reception numbers by taking screen passes and 5 yard slants / outs / curls from PennyBoyWonder.

Welker started 13 games this past year.

As a slot WR with Tom Brady and a great O-Line

Coles starts as the Jets #1 WR with a below average QB. Put Welker as the Jets #1 WR with Chad or Kellen and then Put Coles with Brady as the slot WR, and see who does better. No way is Welker a better WR than a healthy Coles, no way

I'm more than aware of Welker being a slot receiver.

He was starting, regardless. And right now I'd take him over Coles without any regret; particularly if I was handing out 5-year contracts. You can LYFAO all you want. Coles has had multiple concussions, turf toe, criticizes the CS both with regard to TC and with who should be the QB (the f'ing arrogance on him) to the press (as well as teammates, I'm sure) while acting as team captain.

He's not nearly good enough of a player for the mouth and behind-the-scenes & in-the-press attitude/baggage that he brings with him.

Dude, Wes Welker? Are you frickin nuts? Welker has never even been a starting WR.

Doesn't have to be. He's the best slot receiver in the league. Put a couple of decent guys on either side of him, they don't have to be Randy Moss, and he'll make plays out of the slot. A lot more than Coles will ever, has ever, made.

Archived