Economics 101

The answer is $-0-. I can't fault the powers over there that be for looking to defray costs. But does anyone think Mark Canizzaro (admittedly a very good writer) is going to give his best stuff to the Post or the FAN (who both write him checks)or to a website? If they can get people to pay for it, God bless'em. I'll still visit, but I'm not paying.

If they can get people to pay for it, God bless'em.

Yup. Entrepreneurship is also part of Economics 101. :wink:

I guess it's like Starbucks-

They can convince you to pay $4.50 for a cup of coffee you can somewhere else for .85 cent.

I wish Sooth all the best, too. I just think that money between friends becomes something else. I mean, let's not forget that a big reason for the initial schism that lead to this site, was because alot of people here felt an entitlement with JI after contributing money, and felt just a bit slighted when they were treated indifferently.

It's all happy ha ha, we're one big family now, but give it time, and I got a bad feeling the same thing is gonna happen with the new clique that happened with the old one.

Just my opinion.

Besides that, the whole thing just stinks of elitism. It's like there's this pecking order over there, and to jockey for position, you gotta say the right things, find out who the whipping boy is, impress the others by throwing darts at him...

That just aint my scene.

Assuming all other things are equal, and assuming you are rational, why would you pay for a product or a service when you can get the same product or service, some where else for free?

:-k

Not always true. Its like having Net Zero because its free, but DSL costs $30.00 a month. with Net Zero, you get bumped off all the time, but hey its Free. With the DSL, you are always connected.

when a business expands to a higher level, then it needs to be compared with a business on an equal level. In the case which you are referring to, I would say the closest in quality is Leberfelds site. Dan Leberfeld's site is sub par in comparison IMO and for his premium service you pay more

Not always true. Its like having Net Zero because its free, but DSL costs $30.00 a month. with Net Zero, you get bumped off all the time, but hey its Free. With the DSL, you are always connected.

when a business expands to a higher level, then it needs to be compared with a business on an equal level. In the case which you are referring to, I would say the closest in quality is Leberfelds site. Dan Leberfeld's site is sub par in comparison IMO and for his premium service you pay more

Hi Jon. :wink:

I dunno, call me old fashioned but I still get up to change the channels manually. :lol:

What can "premium" do that this MB can't? I type, I hit submit, WALLAH!

Really, it has nothing to do with "qaulity" of service, it has everything to do with quality of poster.

I'm actually laughing, again.

Those poor DSL users. They are getting slighted. Cable modems are much faster.

The thing that gets lost in the wash, is for 3 or 4 years, Dan Leberfeld was called a greedy opportunist by posters on JI.

He was called alot worse, too.

It's one thing to criticize somebody because you don't respect what they are doing, but it's quite another to do it to undermine that person, because you want to compete with them.

But that's neither here nor there. If Sooth can turn JI into a money making business, more power to him. If I had a website that could earn me income, or be used as a tax write-off or whatever, I would milk it for what it was worth. Only a fool wouldn't.

I know Herm is the straw stirring everybody's drink, the man is brilliant in one respect- he greased all the squeaky wheels and now any criticism of him is silenced. He went into business with Canizzaro, and now Canizzaro is part of Herm's PR machine.

I left the board because I just couldn't stand the atmosphere any more. I didn't leave because of anything Sooth did, or anything Sooth said. The board is rife with a cadre of twenty somethings, who went through puberty during the Parcells era. They are of a generation that was thoroughly indoctrinated with PC bullsht. It's a culture that is anathema to me. So I can't change it, so I did the only thing left to do, go someplace where I fit in.

It's a win-win situation for all.

I left the board because I just couldn't stand the atmosphere any more. I didn't leave because of anything Sooth did, or anything Sooth said. The board is rife with a cadre of twenty somethings, who went through puberty during the Parcells era. They are of a generation that was thoroughly indoctrinated with PC bullsht.

Thats on the good days when the H.S. crowd is at class (no offense to EB and 124)

There are some very good young posters on this board. JI's downside is it reached a certain critical mass and it's inundated with little morons that like to see their post count grow and don't really know sports, let alone football. That certainly isn't Sooth's fault, it kinda comes with the territory. When it becomes work to get good information or to conduct a debate, it's a lot less fun.

the whole thing just stinks of elitism. It's like there's this pecking order over there, and to jockey for position, you gotta say the right things, find out who the whipping boy is, impress the others by throwing darts at him...

Talking about elitists, one of the "bigger" posters over there came out and called anybody that doesn't pay for premium services a "freeloader". She, uuhh I mean they, also had some unfavorable comments about this site and delivered them in a condescending fashion while listing her, I mean their, many accomplishments. It seems that she, I mean they, have JetNation on their mind constantly. I anticipate a flood of new posters here as those second class citizens that are not in the JI "Insiders Club" jump ship and look for a new home.

Thats on the good days when the H.S. crowd is at class (no offense to EB and 124)

There are some very good young posters on this board. JI's downside is it reached a certain critical mass and it's inundated with little morons that like to see their post count grow and don't really know sports, let alone football. That certainly isn't Sooth's fault, it kinda comes with the territory. When it becomes work to get good information or to conduct a debate, it's a lot less fun.

You hit the nail on the head. :wink:

Talking about elitists, one of the "bigger" posters over there came out and called anybody that doesn't pay for premium services a "freeloader". She, uuhh I mean they, also had some unfavorable comments about this site and delivered them in a condescending fashion while listing her, I mean their, many accomplishments. It seems that she, I mean they, have JetNation on their mind constantly. I anticipate a flood of new posters here as those second class citizens that are not in the JI "Insiders Club" jump ship and look for a new home.

DNA, who are you talking about? :lol:

Thanks Tx. :roll:

I get my balls busted all the time for asking for the Limo Bashing to stop.

Limo does not have an account here. I disabled it. The reason doesn't really matter. But she is not here to defend herself.

That is why I ask to keep it civil. It really isn't fair otherwise. Guess I am just funny that way. I can get bashed left and right (this site sucks etc) but I do try to treat people with respect. Sometimes! :P

This is actually a very good defense, comparing to Leberfeld's site. Of course, In my 20 years as a Jets fan I have never paid a penny for Jet news or info (outside of buying the newspaper) and yet somehow I have never missed a hot Jets story or been deprived of any Jets news ever. Can anyone point to a time where Leberfeld scooped someone and put is on his site exclusively? To recap, there is not a damn thing worth paying for on the internet as far as NFL coverage goes. Sooth is going to have to do alot of peripheral stuff to make it work, because content is not going to carry the way there. Ooh, IMO.

Thanks Tx. :roll:

I get my balls busted all the time for asking for the Limo Bashing to stop.

Limo does not have an account here. I disabled it. The reason doesn't really matter. But she is not here to defend herself.

That is why I ask to keep it civil. It really isn't fair otherwise. Guess I am just funny that way. I can get bashed left and right (this site sucks etc) but I do try to treat people with respect. Sometimes! :P

I did not mention any names, I just wanted to throw some subtle hints as to the identity of this mysterious person. :^o Apparently this person seems to have no qualms about lobbing hand grenades in this direction.

There is nothing here that I would say about Limo that I would not say (and I have) directly to her elsewhere. :wink:

Simple question-if Mark Canizzaro has a scoop, who is he giving it to first-the Post, FAN(for whom last year he did paid spots on various shows) or Sooth? I genuinely like and respect Canizzaro;he knows his stuff and I never miss anything he writes in the Post. No one should begrudge Canizzaro or Sooth the chance to turn a buck unless they themselves get paid in thank you notes. But it's obvious that JI is a side gig to him, not his bread&butter. Even though I'll still vist that site in the nonpaying areas, I am not paying $54 to get exclusives that don't figure to be all that exclusive.

The only comment I will make about Canizzaro- and I happen to like him for the most part . If I was his employer I would not want and demand that he does not give inside or first hand info out to an outside outlet so I do not see him giving any real info you could not get anywhere else.

As far as a chat room you can go on the net and chat

Back to economics -

I think internet journalism has seriously compromised the news that is reported. 1) if someone writes exclusives for a fan web-site, I would assume that the reporting would be team-positive, regardless of circumstance. It's a FAN site.

Second, with a plethora of sites and news outlets - print, internet, tv, radio and the ever-growing number of "reporters," columnists, etc....the heat is on to get a "scoop." A scoop that by-passes due dilligence. Just this week I've heard that Ty Law has signed with the Chiefs and that Tedy Bruschi was 90% sure of playing for the Pats this season.

Lesson? Everything you read should be taken with a grain of salt.

Simple question-if Mark Canizzaro has a scoop, who is he giving it to first-the Post, FAN(for whom last year he did paid spots on various shows) or Sooth? I genuinely like and respect Canizzaro;he knows his stuff and I never miss anything he writes in the Post. No one should begrudge Canizzaro or Sooth the chance to turn a buck unless they themselves get paid in thank you notes. But it's obvious that JI is a side gig to him, not his bread&butter. Even though I'll still vist that site in the nonpaying areas, I am not paying $54 to get exclusives that don't figure to be all that exclusive.

lets face it, the only concrete sign up will be the famous ass kisser known as limolady. she will somehow hope to befriend mark so that she can hopefully share a slice of pizza with him and she can try to convince him to show up at some charity event so that she can claim they are colleagues

lets face it, the only concrete sign up will be the famous a$$ kisser known as limolady. she will somehow hope to befriend mark so that she can hopefully share a slice of pizza with him and she can try to convince him to show up at some charity event so that she can claim they are colleges

Oh-oh, now Max is really going to be pissed off. [-X

Nice going DK. :wink:

Archived