Moves that should happen on draft weekend by Don Banks

CobraVerde

9. The Jets draft Matt Ryan: While the latest buzz has Ryan going to the No. 3 Falcons after all, I still think Atlanta would be wiser to take Dorsey with its first pick and use some of its three second-round selections as ammo to land either Brohm, Henne or Flacco late in the opening round.

Doing it that way, the Falcons could almost certainly add an impact player on both sides of the ball at the top of their draft. Taking the quarterback at No. 3 means it's unlikely they'd be able to affect their defense as dramatically in round two as Dorsey would in round one.

But New York isn't in the same position as Atlanta, and has to get better quarterback play if it has any hopes of closing the gap on the Patriots in the AFC East. Chad Pennington is on borrowed time with the Jets, and Kellen Clemens remains a question mark who came at the price of a second-round pick in 2006. If the Jets are as high on Ryan as indications allow, and he makes it to their No. 6 slot, they should pull the trigger and not think twice.

The rest of the article --> http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/writers/don_banks/04/22/10.moves/index.html?eref=T1

Personally i don't agree with him. I think we'd be wasting a #6 pick if we picked up Ryan. He had a semi successful career in college. If we didnt pull the trigger on Vince Young or Matt Lienart forget ever picking up a QB in round one. I'm sure the Jets are looking into later rounds for a QB (like they did with Kellen) and i still believe in Kellen. I have NO PROBLEMS giving him a full year to test the waters but for Pete's sake protect the freakin guy. He's got an arm and he showed promise in certain games. I think with a good camp and no QB controversy to get in his head he'll have a good year. Pick someone to back him up cause as much as i like Penny he is a risk conisdering his injury history. Go for McFadden or a DL.

Pennington is awful. Clemens was awful last year & if we draft Ryan they must have reason to believe Clemens isn't going to develop into the player they'd hoped.

Ironically, Ryan could end up being a lower-cost player (than other players at #6) as well since we'd be almost assuredly dump Pennington and his gargantuan salary. So in effect you get to subtract a good amount of Pennington's cap # from Ryan's.

So in a roundabout way, in addition to drafting a QB who they like better than the two we've got, Ryan is also the (net) cheapest draft pick we could make. It may be a factor (even if it isn't the deciding factor) given how much $ we spent since the end of February.

Pennington is awful. Clemens was awful last year & if we draft Ryan they must have reason to believe Clemens isn't going to develop into the player they'd hoped.

Ironically, Ryan could end up being a lower-cost player (than other players at #6) as well since we'd be almost assuredly dump Pennington and his gargantuan salary. So in effect you get to subtract a good amount of Pennington's cap # from Ryan's.

So in a roundabout way, in addition to drafting a QB who they like better than the two we've got, Ryan is also the (net) cheapest draft pick we could make. It may be a factor (even if it isn't the deciding factor) given how much $ we spent since the end of February.

One thing makes a mistake worse (if you think drafting Clemens this high was a mistake, I'm talking about the Jets now), and that's not acting to REPAIR that mistake because you are unwilling to admit to the mistake.

Because of this, I'd like us to draft Ryan, or a 2nd round QB. Personally, I like Brohm, but if the Jets think Ryan is the guy, then let's get him.

Now, I don't think drafting Ryan is a guarantee Pennington will not be back. I hope he goes then to save coin, but they may want a vet in case Ryan can't take the reigns on day 1. My personal opinion is draft him and GIVE HIM THE JOB. You do not learn getting minimial reps.

I am one of the few who believe in Clemen's potential. I also believe the Jets's #1 priority is to build a defense that can pressure Brady. That being said, I would have no problem with them drafting Ryan, IF they truly believe he can be a star QB and IF they truly believe Clemens can not. He just better be good and not the bust or marginal player that half of QBs taken in the top 10 picks turn out to be. Hopefully, the Jets will not have a top pick again for several years. So if they think Ryan is the guy, and he is there, you have to take the opportunity to get your franchise QB.

I am one of the few who believe in Clemen's potential. I also believe the Jets's #1 priority is to build a defense that can pressure Brady. That being said, I would have no problem with them drafting Ryan, IF they truly believe he can be a star QB and IF they truly believe Clemens can not. He just better be good and not the bust or marginal player that half of QBs taken in the top 10 picks turn out to be. Hopefully, the Jets will not have a top pick again for several years. So if they think Ryan is the guy, and he is there, you have to take the opportunity to get your franchise QB.

People are so quick to move on to the next thing. Give Clemens a chance. I liked what I saw from him last year. He had absolutely nothing to work with. Give him his chance.

I too believe that Clemens looked like an NFL QB when he had time to drop back and make his reads.It was when he was under god-awful pressure and only had two seconds to get rid of the ball or take a sack that he didn't look so hot,but what QB would in that situation.

We all know how good Tom Brady is behind center when he has protection,but we also saw that he looked like doo-doo with no protection in the Superbowl.I say we have our franchise Qb in house right now and we need a playmaker on offense like McFadden that scares the beejesus out of opposing teams when he is on the field to help take pressure off the QB.I will like whomever we get at #6 if it is one of these guys:

McFadden

Ghoulston

C. Long

B. Albert

Awesome post. I was looking for you and this kind of info in the other thread.

I completely agree with your statement, especially the beginning. The object of the 3-4 is to have your Defensive Tackles be monstrous run-hole pluggers while our athletic, large, fast, and strong LB Corps is able to combine coverage and blitz packages to rush the passer and play more zone defense in the secondary - so Kerry Rhodes can Ballhawk-. But this is all only possible if we are able to stop the run and that is determined by the LINE OF SCRIMMAGE, not a very flashy idea, but its true. The Jets had the wrong personnel for the defense Mangini is trying to build. I completely believe that this is the direction the N.Y. Jets really need to head towards in order to achieve the success that the Jets and their fans have long deserved. I'd personally let him build this for 4-6 more years, granted back to back playoffs and deep playoff games, and then folks....yes, I'm saying it...we will win one during his tenure. With Jake Long, being taken by Miami with the first pick, and the Minnesota Vikings trading Jared Allen to K.C.. I believe the St. Louis Rams will draft Glen Dorsey at #2, having drafted a DE last year in Adam Carriker, Atlanta will then have to pull the trigger on Matt Ryan to be the new face of the franchise, a cleaner franchise; Oakland will allow Al Davis to pick who he wants...obviously, Darren McFadden; Kansas City will (WOW I HAVE NO IDEAD)...but I think they actually might draft Branden Albert, I think Herm might be taking a page out of the Tuna's book and draft a Stout Franchise Lineman and then with 5 picks out of the first 82 picks, get deep and build their secondary, Wide Receiver Corps and their DE Corps. But I don't think that Chris Long is on their priority list......SO......you know what that means folks.....WITH THE #6 PICK IN THE 2008 NFL DRAFT THE NEW YORK JETS SELECT DE - CHRIS LONG - UNIVERSITY OF VIRGINIA!!!!!!

YOU Heard it here first folks...yeah sure N.E. will choose Vernon Gholston, but our Offensive Line will prove next year that he is indeed the big bust that everyone [else] thinks he is. Personally, I wish we could do something to stop them from getting either C. Long or Gholston but we can't and I'm comfortable with a DESCENDANT IN THE LONG FAMILY!!!!!

Chris Long(#6) Kris Jenkins K. Coleman/S.Ellis

**S. Crable (4th Rd.) D. Harris E. Barton Calvin Pace

D. Revis J. Miller/Rookie

K. Rhodes A. Elam

hahahaha.....well at least i enjoyed putting that together, let's find out what YOU think hahahaha

Very interesting point about Ryan being cheaper due to CP being cut or traded.

If the Jets pick Ryan than they know KC is not the future, we would be stupid to really second guess that. I take that Browns home game last year where Mangini gave up on KC and elected to go for a seond off sides recovery instead of going for it in the red zone on 4th as proof that there just isn't much confidence with KC.

People are so quick to move on to the next thing. Give Clemens a chance. I liked what I saw from him last year. He had absolutely nothing to work with. Give him his chance.

Problem is, other players get older, we are not so much in the rebuilding stage with tons of young talent. I mean, look at all the free agent money spent this year. You have to figure if we draft a qb he will be a backup for a year, so if we stick with KC another year to further realize he isn't going to work than we are 3 years out from today, and may not have a good qb prospect at our pick next year.

Archived