Pennington to take a pay cut??

Irish Jet

Jets To Ask Chad Pennington To Take A Pay Cut?

Chad Pennington is well aware that, should Kellen Clemens win the job, his status could be tenuous - much the way his friend and fellow Marshall grad Bryon Leftwich was when David Garrard beat him out for the QB job in Jacksonville. Leftwich was released before last season. Because Clemens is unproven, if Pennington were to lose out for the starting job it's unlikely he'd be released, but the Jets would almost certainly demand he take a pay cut from the $6 million he's scheduled to earn in 2008.

Source: NY Post

:character0255:

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Seems reasonable. $6M for a backup is not a reasonable sum of money if he's lost his job because of play not because of injury.

Though I wouldn't want a "you can make it back with incentives" clauses because then it's in his direct financial interest - to the tune of millions of dollars - to see Clemens fail, and to see him fail early. Pennington doesn't come across as being like that, but on paper that's how it would be.

Seems reasonable. $6M for a backup is not a reasonable sum of money if he's lost his job because of play not because of injury.

Though I wouldn't want a "you can make it back with incentives" clauses because then it's in his direct financial interest - to the tune of millions of dollars - to see Clemens fail, and to see him fail early. Pennington doesn't come across as being like that, but on paper that's how it would be.

I don't really see how Chad could directly impact Clemens failing at this point TBH. He's not going to take a bat to him after practice or something.

I always felt there would be a problem if Chad was a backup, I just don't feel he'll be content in that role to be honest.

I don't really see how Chad could directly impact Clemens failing at this point TBH. He's not going to take a bat to him after practice or something.

I always felt there would be a problem if Chad was a backup, I just don't feel he'll be content in that role to be honest.

Well I don't think he had to deal with too much BS from Testaverde when he first got the job for good. And he considers that to have been instrumental in his development. He'd have to be a real scumbag to not give Clemens the same help/support that he benefited from with Vinny. I don't see that happening with Chad. But the door would be open for him to start expressing discontent to players like Coles & others he's known for years. That would be very bad.

Then again - is there really anything, other than effectively selling a play-action, that you want Clemens to learn from Pennington?

Well I don't think he had to deal with too much BS from Testaverde when he first got the job for good. And he considers that to have been instrumental in his development. He'd have to be a real scumbag to not give Clemens the same help/support that he benefited from with Vinny. I don't see that happening with Chad. But the door would be open for him to start expressing discontent to players like Coles & others he's known for years. That would be very bad.

Then again - is there really anything, other than effectively selling a play-action, that you want Clemens to learn from Pennington?

Penny can read a Defense, I read somewhere (maybe here) that Clemens is struggling with this part of his game. Maybe Penny can teach him?

Yeah I think Chad could help him with some other things, like maybe reading the D, audibles, clock management, and leaderships stuff. I do not think Chad would cause any problems, and he would support Kellen if he beat him out fair and square. Of course everybody will know Chad wants to play and they should want him to feel that way, but I don't think it will become a problem.

My concern is that Chad teaches him how to be fearful of downfield passing unless a receiver is wide, wide open. Just like Hackett taught Pennington.
Let's hope Kellen knows he can not afford to be scared, if he is going to make it, he needs to be able to throw the long ball.

Why would he take a pay cut if he were looking to be moved? They'd still have to give him more than he'd be worth on the open market.

Well it doesn't say how much of a pay cut. I doubt they're talking about dropping him from $6M to $1M or anything that drastic. But it could be down to the $3M-ish range. Pennington might or might not get that this year from someone else if he's cut at the end of August. But a cut down to $4M at least still leaves Pennington with more than he should be getting as a backup and saves the Jets $2M. Every little bit helps.

Keep in mind after this season there's still that last $3M of his original SB that has to come off the cap. If they can effectively reduce that number to $1M (or less), it would help. That money can then go to someone else.

One thing I am not concerned about is Pennington's attitude if he loses out to Clemmons. Chad is a true professional. He would know that, in spite of a horrible 2007, he was given every chance to win the job. The realization that you have come to the point in your carreer where you are a back-up is hard but there is no question, it would not have been a rash or hasty decision.

Next, where would Chad prefer to go? Noone else wants hims as more than a veteran back-up/insurance against a young starters failing. That spels a $1 million doll back-up salary.

Finally, if Chad were going to get negative and undermine the team, he had the chance last year. Instead, he took the high road and was very supportive of Clemmons. Chad does have the skills that Clemmons lacks. He needs to read defenses better and a better play-action fake wouldn't hurt.

I'm not worried about Chad either, I really think he will do the right thing no matter what happens.

If he loses out to KC fair and square, he will probably take a cut to stay here, and we would need a back up anyway.

I think they should offer him incentives as SE said and I think there are some very important fundementals, that Chad can help Kellen with.

If Chad loses out in camp, he should be cut. No reason to have a potential distraction on your team at the QB position.

Not to mention Chads already proven himself to be a massive vageen when benched.

Right and if KC gets hurt we will just go with what's his name over there right. :)

Chad was supportive of Kellen and he would be again, he could teach him somethings IMO, and we need a veteran back up anyway.

If he takes a cut that would be a bonus, unless we can cut him and sign some one else just as good or better for less.

How exactly??

:wtf:

Oh, I dunno, lets see here.

How about when he got benched, he didnt take responsibilty for his sh#tty play.

And when Clemens first took over, Chad was standing on the sidelines by himself with his helmet in his hand and a football in the other while Clemens was operating the offense. Total d### move. Sit your a## on the bench, clown. Know your role.

Chad just wants to start. He's not interested in being a backup. Like everything else, he cant realize what he is and cant do anymore.

And when Clemens first took over, Chad was standing on the sidelines by himself with his helmet in his hand and a football in the other while Clemens was operating the offense. Total d### move. Sit your a## on the bench, clown. Know your role.

Chad just wants to start. He's not interested in being a backup. Like everything else, he cant realize what he is and cant do anymore.

That is bullsh*t, Chad did not undermine Kellen, he was supportive no matter where he was on the sidelines, and I recall him owning up to not getting the job done too.

That is bullsh*t, Chad did not undermine Kellen, he was supportive no matter where he was on the sidelines, and I recall him owning up to not getting the job done too.

2149.jpg

Don't give up on us, Baby

Don't make our love seem light

The future isn't just one night

It's written in the moonlight

And painted on the stars

We can't change ours

We're still worth one more try

I know we put a last one by

Just for a rainy evening

When maybe stars are few

Don't give up on us, I know

We can still come through

I really lost my head last night

You've got a right to start believing

There's still a little love left, even so

Lord knows we've come this far

Can't we stay the way we are?

The angel and the dreamer

Who sometimes play a fool

You've got a right to stop believing

Just for a rainy evening

When maybe stars are few

2149.jpg

2149.jpg

Don't make our love seem light

The future isn't just one night

It's written in the moonlight

And painted on the stars

We can't change ours

We're still worth one more try

I know we put a last one by

Just for a rainy evening

When maybe stars are few

You've got a right to start believing

Lord knows we've come this far

Can't we stay the way we are?

The angel and the dreamer

Who sometimes play a fool

You've got a right to stop believing

Just for a rainy evening

When maybe stars are few

2149.jpg

Look I want Clemens to start, but he has to earn it in camp first, if he does not than he is worse than Chad not better, but I do not need to make a bunch of BS up to want Kellen to start either.

Wow.

I can actually remember Chad going over plays with Kellen and others, he was very suppotive of him and still played the role of team leader despite being on the bench. Would you have preffered he done a LT and sat and sulked??

I know you have a hatred for the guy Barton, but give him a break FFS.

If Chad loses out in camp, he should be cut. No reason to have a potential distraction on your team at the QB position.

Not to mention Chads already proven himself to be a massive vageen when benched.

That's real smart. Cut the only veteran QB on the roster & have absolutley no QB depth behing Kellen. If You acutally think Chad would be a distraction, you haven't being paying attention that last few years, he is the ultimate team player.

That's real smart. Cut the only veteran QB on the roster & have absolutley no QB depth behing Kellen. If You acutally think Chad would be a distraction, you haven't being paying attention that last few years, he is the ultimate team player.

Irony alert. Where were you last year??? He's already proven himself TO BE a distraction, not the other way around.

Irony alert. Where were you last year??? He's already proven himself TO BE a distraction, not the other way around.
He was not a distratcion, again there are plenty of legitamite reasons why you could want Clemens to start, there is no reason to make up sh*t.

He was not a distratcion, again there are plenty of legitamite reasons why you could want Clemens to start, there is no reason to make up sh*t.

Wake up and smell the coffee. There was a QB controversy every week last season.

Bad idea, let's spend 80 million in free agency and have a rookie backing it all up. Pass.

If Chad gets beat out he is the backup. End of story.

Bad idea, let's spend 80 million in free agency and have a rookie backing it all up. Pass.

If Chad gets beat out he is the backup. End of story.

Ok. But I dont want to hear anyone who wants Chad as a backup critizicing Mangini if the lockerroom splits in 2 and the media causes a QB controversy again. Not to mention signing a vet QB is a complete non issue.

IMO, its too big of a risk to KEEP Chad on the roster. Its less of a risk to CUT him.

You guys seriously cant see this coming? Wake up, people.

Wake up and smell the coffee. There was a QB controversy every week last season.

I've been responding to you in the other thread, but I remember now that you are simply insane on the subject. There only QB controversy last year was on the boards. Mangini made his decision and stuck with it.

I've been responding to you in the other thread, but I remember now that you are simply insane on the subject. There only QB controversy last year was on the boards. Mangini made his decision and stuck with it.

When the media asks you questions every week about who your starting QB will be this week, you have a QB controversy. Thats what we had last year.

When the media asks you questions every week about who your starting QB will be this week, you have a QB controversy. Thats what we had last year.
I'm sorry but the QB controversy was the least of the teams problems last year and both QB's stunk. Chad never became a distraction, perhaps you should WAKE UP!!!

What are you talking about. After KC was named the starter that was it, Mangini was never going to turn back to Chad unless KC got injured, which he did.

The QB controversy started in week 4 and ended when Mangini made the switch.

Archived