Randolph remains Mets skipper after meeting brass

JetNation

It's not Willie's fault, this team sucks. (see Omar)
Ths seems to be lost on everyone. And again, when Randolph tried to straighten out Reyes last year, Minaya stopped him. SO who is the real problem here? Pedro Martinez says he's going to retire after the 2008 season, yet it looks like so far he and El Duque have decided not to wait until October and retires now instead, while collecting close to $20 million between them anyway.When you hear about the $140 million payroll, who's brilliant decisions were those, along with POS Delgado and Castillo, and to a lesser extent, Beltran?(another $30+ million).I'm not sure Delgado and Castillo would be signed by anyone if you released them tommorrow, yet Minaya saw fit to give them huge multiyear contracts bidding against himself .Neither is getting any youger,netiher is producing even replacement level production, and it looks like neither has lifted a weight or run a sprint in some time. Why Minaya the guy wielding the ax instead of the guy facing it?

Ths seems to be lost on everyone. And again, when Randolph tried to straighten out Reyes last year, Minaya stopped him. SO who is the real problem here? Pedro Martinez says he's going to retire after the 2008 season, yet it looks like so far he and El Duque have decided not to wait until October and retires now instead, while collecting close to $20 million between them anyway.When you hear about the $140 million payroll, who's brilliant decisions were those, along with POS Delgado and Castillo, and to a lesser extent, Beltran?(another $30+ million).I'm not sure Delgado and Castillo would be signed by anyone if you released them tommorrow, yet Minaya saw fit to give them huge multiyear contracts bidding against himself .Neither is getting any youger,netiher is producing even replacement level production, and it looks like neither has lifted a weight or run a sprint in some time. Why Minaya the guy wielding the ax instead of the guy facing it?
I agree 100%, Omar put together this team he also did not allow Willie to pick his own staff and fired the one guy Willie did want.

How'd that work out last season? If you ask me the Mets are a .500 team and that's exactly what they have given you, it's not Willie's fault Omar over paid for garbage.

The same goes in The Bronx. (see Cashman)

It's not Willie's fault, this team sucks. (see Omar)

Willie's a moron. This team is plenty talented enough to win games. Should all the blame go to Willie? No, but when your team underachieves like this, someone has to go. Willie's in game decisions are horrid. He never seems like he has his players back. Is it a coincidence, the Mets have gone 1-7 since, his moronic comments. I don't think so. He's gotta go. He should never have been hired to begin with. It's not a coincidence no one gave him a shot after all these years. He's all talk.

Willie's a moron. This team is plenty talented enough to win games. Should all the blame go to Willie? No, but when your team underachieves like this, someone has to go. Willie's in game decisions are horrid. He never seems like he has his players back. Is it a coincidence, the Mets have gone 1-7 since, his moronic comments. I don't think so. He's gotta go. He should never have been hired to begin with. It's not a coincidence no one gave him a shot after all these years. He's all talk.
Willie is the fall guy, the mets were garbage before him, and they are garbage now.

Please let me here how reyes is better than Jeter.

They are talented enough to go .500, and thats what they are doing.

Put randolph on second today and he is one of the best players on that team.

Tell me genuis who do you want to replace him?

Willie is the fall guy, the mets were garbage before him, and they are garbage now.

Please let me here how reyes is better than Jeter.

They are talented enough to go .500, and thats what they are doing.

Put randolph on second today and he is one of the best players on that team.

Tell me genuis who do you want to replace him?

It doesn't matter who replaces him. Put a monkey there, and they should win more games. This has nothing to do with Jeter/Reyes. Where did that come in by the way? What does Reyes/Jeter have to do with Randolph being a terrible manager. You obviously don't watch any Met games. Randolph goes after the young guys for not hustling and turns the other cheek when veterans do the same thing. Castillo didn't hustle on a pop fly that was misplayed into an error and his quote was "he would not have scored anyway". Instead of judging the mets when you have no knowledge of what you're talking about, just worry about the other 210 million dollar disaster across town.

It doesn't matter who replaces him. Put a monkey there, and they should win more games. This has nothing to do with Jeter/Reyes. Where did that come in by the way? What does Reyes/Jeter have to do with Randolph being a terrible manager. You obviously don't watch any Met games. Randolph goes after the young guys for not hustling and turns the other cheek when veterans do the same thing. Castillo didn't hustle on a pop fly that was misplayed into an error and his quote was "he would not have scored anyway". Instead of judging the mets when you have no knowledge of what you're talking about, just worry about the other 210 million dollar disaster across town.
Ok but I'm not that worried about the Yanks, after all they were 10 games out this time last year, and they made it.

So you want Willie out, and a monkey to replace him, good luck.

Oh and by the way the old guys and the yougins are both bums on the mets, they are making millions, and Willie has to motivate them to run???

Willie never tanked sh*t, I can't wait till they replace him and you see what a garbage team your boy Omar put together.

Whaa Whaa it's the manager, once that excuse is gone, then what???

Ok but I'm not that worried about the Yanks, after all they were 10 games out this time last year, and they made it.

So you want Willie out, and a monkey to replace him, good luck.

Oh and by the way the old guys and the yougins are both bums on the mets, they are making millions, and Willie has to motivate them to run???

Willie never tanked sh*t, I can't wait till they replace him and you see what a garbage team your boy Omar put together.

Whaa Whaa it's the manager, once that excuse is gone, then what???

Most experts picked the Mets to win the division and/or represent the NL in the World Series. To me that's an indication that the Mets on paper have a very talented roster. I am sure you are a better talent evaluator than anyone else. When your team isn't performing up to expectations, the manager has to take some hits. Willie was the manager of the team that went through the biggest collapse in history. He could not motivate the team or do anything to stop the slide. The problem is he pretends it never happened. All anyone ever hears from him is how he's been a winner his whole life. The fact is he's done nothing as a manager. The team that made the NLCS, was the best team and they did not sniff the world series, I don't think that is considered success. Please, if you know anything about the Mets or Willie as a manager, please share. You've given me no reasoning, other than the fact you continue to bash the Mets roster. When the team across town has a 210 Million dollar roster and has been in last place most of the year. Please enlighten me on how much you actually know.

Most experts picked the Mets to win the division and/or represent the NL in the World Series. To me that's an indication that the Mets on paper have a very talented roster. I am sure you are a better talent evaluator than anyone else. When your team isn't performing up to expectations, the manager has to take some hits. Willie was the manager of the team that went through the biggest collapse in history. He could not motivate the team or do anything to stop the slide. The problem is he pretends it never happened. All anyone ever hears from him is how he's been a winner his whole life. The fact is he's done nothing as a manager. The team that made the NLCS, was the best team and they did not sniff the world series, I don't think that is considered success. Please, if you know anything about the Mets or Willie as a manager, please share. You've given me no reasoning, other than the fact you continue to bash the Mets roster. When the team across town has a 210 Million dollar roster and has been in last place most of the year. Please enlighten me on how much you actually know.
I could care less about what any "experts" said. How many times are they dead wrong??? The same so called "experts" picked Seattle to win the wild card and the Tigers to be the best hitting team ever. How is that working out? I know Willie tried every thing last year to stop the skidz, and he could not get a win from one pitcher, or timely hitting from anyone for over a month, same reason why they choked in the NLCS. You want him to stay stuck on it, he is a winner and that is why he moved on, I'm not saying he is a great manager, but met fans are making him the fall guy, and all of this is not his fault. I can't wait for them to fire Willie, then you will see that it's not the manager, it's the lazy garbage players on the roster. Reyes is tanking games laughing every time he messes up, Delgado is a disgrace, you have no leader period. Wright gets lazy, Wagner opens his big mouth and then chokes the other night in the big spot. Anybody else worth mentioning is always hurt, these things are not Willie's fault, if the millions these bums make can't motivate them to run then nothing will.

As for the Yankees I have not liked how cashman has been doing things for years, but the fact remains they have made the playoffs 11 years in a row, I'm not worried.

I could care less about what any "experts" said. How many times are they dead wrong??? The same so called "experts" picked Seattle to win the wild card and the Tigers to be the best hitting team ever. How is that working out? I know Willie tried every thing last year to stop the skidz, and he could not get a win from one pitcher, or timely hitting from anyone for over a month, same reason why the choked in the NLCS. You want him to stay stuck on it, he is a winner and that is why he moved on, I'm not saying he is a great manager, but met fans are making him the fall guy, and all of this is not his fault. I can't wait for them to fire Willie, then you will see that it's not the manager, it's the lazy garbage players on the roster. Reyes is tanking games laughing every time he messes up, Delgado is a disgrace, you have no leader period. Wright gets lazy, Wagner opens his big mouth and then chokes the other night in the big spot.

As for the Yankees i have not liked how cas has been doing things for years, but the fact remains they have made the playoffs 11 years in a row, I'm not worried.

Where do you get this information from anyway? How do you "know" Willie tried everything he can? Are you Willie's nephew or agent or something?? How can you possibly know this? I am going to go out on a limb and say you don't know Willie Randolph at all. I don't know Willie Randolph as a person, I just judge him based on the in game decisions he makes on a daily basis. They're dreadful. His handling of the bullpen is probably worst than Torre. His answer to decision making process is usually "based on my gut" which generally turns out to be poor decisions. Delgado is past his prime. They gambled and lost. What can you do? Reyes as poorly as he has played, has better numbers than Jeter to this point, except for his average. I am not trying to start a Jeter/Reyes debate. You did. Jeter is a better clutch player. NO question. Where do you get this that Wright is "lazy". From what I've heard, he's one of the most humble hardest working players on the team. If you have the facts, please show me. Show me past articles, quotes, anything from former team mates/ coaches who say he is lazy. Reyes is enthusiastic, he likes to dance, who cares as long as he performs, and right now he is not performing. Wagner has given up 1 earned run this year. He talks, but nothing he has said hasn't been true. I give him credit for it. When players talk and ignore the manager, its a sign he's lost the team. When you lose the team you have to go.

The team that collapsed last year was essentially the same team that went to the NLCS the year before, only with better starting pitching.

Here's another "FACT" FYI, the Mets didn't start wining because Willie came on board as he would have you believe. Guys like Beltran, Delgado, the development or Reyes and Wright had a little something to do with it. Obviously I don't expect you to take any factual statistic into account. You like making inaccurate generalizations based on who knows what??

Where do you get this information from anyway? How do you "know" Willie tried everything he can? Are you Willie's nephew or agent or something?? How can you possibly know this? I am going to go out on a limb and say you don't know Willie Randolph at all. I don't know Willie Randolph as a person, I just judge him based on the in game decisions he makes on a daily basis. They're dreadful. His handling of the bullpen is probably worst than Torre. His answer to decision making process is usually "based on my gut" which generally turns out to be poor decisions. Delgado is past his prime. They gambled and lost. What can you do? Reyes as poorly as he has played, has better numbers than Jeter to this point, except for his average. I am not trying to start a Jeter/Reyes debate. You did. Jeter is a better clutch player. NO question. Where do you get this that Wright is "lazy". From what I've heard, he's one of the most humble hardest working players on the team. If you have the facts, please show me. Show me past articles, quotes, anything from former team mates/ coaches who say he is lazy. Reyes is enthusiastic, he likes to dance, who cares as long as he performs, and right now he is not performing. Wagner has given up 1 earned run this year. He talks, but nothing he has said hasn't been true. I give him credit for it. When players talk and ignore the manager, its a sign he's lost the team. When you lose the team you have to go.

The team that collapsed last year was essentially the same team that went to the NLCS the year before, only with better starting pitching.

Here's another "FACT" FYI, the Mets didn't start wining because Willie came on board as he would have you believe. Guys like Beltran, Delgado, the development or Reyes and Wright had a little something to do with it. Obviously I don't expect you to take any factual statistic into account. You like making inaccurate generalizations based on who knows what??

I agree those players had allot to do with the mets getting better, and I did not say Wright is lazy, but he hustles but he gets lazy at times. The other day he hits a pop up and he an Delgado are walking, mean while it fell in and should have been an RBI double but they got lazy. The whole team gives up once they get down a few runs, and Reyes is no where near the same league as Jeter, you can forget that sh*t, he is not even as good as most people thought, and he is a retarded base runner. As for Wagner I'm gald he speaks up and exposes that club house for what it is, Omar devised a seperation there not Willie, but when you open your mouth like Billy did he needs to get the save the other night, not give up a homerun. As for the collapse nothing Willie did worked, the team fell apart, the pitches forgot how to pitch and the hitters stopped hitting. If you ask me that reflects on the character of the players, more than the manager's decisions, no matter who he went to they stunk it up. You are never going to agree with every decison your manager makes and hind sight is 20/20. Like I said I can't wait to see who they replace him with, and when the mets are still a .500 team maybe you will be singing a different tune.

Since you continually bash Reyes, here's the numbers of the 2 players thus far on the season.

REYES

199AB 28Runs 55Hits 102B 5 3b 6HR 23RBIs 19BB 28K 15SB 5CS .276AVG .335OBP .467SLG .802OPS

Jeter:

177AB 25Runs 50Hits 7-2B 3-3B 2HRs 23RBIs 11BB 20Ks 3SBs 1CS .282AVG .337OBP .390SLG .727OPS

Hmmm.. not in the same league. Numbers would suggest otherwise and from all accounts Reyes is have a terrible year. I am not saying Reyes is a better player. I am merely suggesting you don't know what you're talking about.

Since you continually bash Reyes, here's the numbers of the 2 players thus far on the season.

REYES

199AB 28Runs 55Hits 102B 5 3b 6HR 23RBIs 19BB 28K 15SB 5CS .276AVG .335OBP .467SLG .802OPS

Jeter:

177AB 25Runs 50Hits 7-2B 3-3B 2HRs 23RBIs 11BB 20Ks 3SBs 1CS .282AVG .337OBP .390SLG .727OPS

Hmmm.. not in the same league. Numbers would suggest otherwise and from all accounts Reyes is have a terrible year. I am not saying Reyes is a better player. I am merely suggesting you don't know what you're talking about.

Thats great, I'm not so concerned about where their numbers are in May, and regardless Reyes can't hold a candle to Jeter, compare them in september and when they are both retired.

I don't know what I'm talking about OK, it appears to me Reyes is on his way down, and he shows absolutely no heart or leadership at all, you can have his numbers he does not compare to Jeter as an all around player.

He's had a few good seasons, not a hall of fame career he is not in Jeter's league and he does not seem to be getting there. Don't forget to compare their rings while you are at it.

Wonder if a. Lupica actually left his Connecticut mansion or did it by phone; and b. if he did it in person how he typed it into his laptop with all of Omar's happy ending goo all over his pants. Not one question with the words "Brian Bannister" nor "Why did you sign ___(too numerous to mention) to a long term moron deal?" , NOR "WHY IS REYES SITLL DOING ALL THAT GAY DANCING CRAP AND EFFING UP?". No, the intrepid midget lobs softball after softball, even with his hand firmly grapsing Minaya's manhood. Remarkable!

Further, he allows, heck, encourages Minaya to somehow turn this into something racial, while the issue is why this team he has put together sucks. So if you go to a Mets game and boo this sucky baseball, you're a racist? Is that it? Gimme a freakin' break. If the Mets hated each other, if they won, who cares/ have fistfights every night amongst youselves, but win.

To Omar Minaya, racial divide on Mets sounds altogether wrong

Tuesday, May 27th 2008, 10:32 PM

By evil midget Mike Lupica, hated by George Steinbrenner and Keith Hernandez

alg_willie.jpg Sipkin/News Omar Minaya (r.) says there's no racial divide in the Met clubhouse.

Maybe if the Mets were winning a few more ballgames, there wouldn't be this much conversation about the demographics of the clubhouse, which you are now supposed to believe are more complicated - and fragmented - than the Democratic Party's.

Maybe if the Mets were in first place in the National League East the way they have been for a couple of years, up there in the standings instead of closer to last place, you wouldn't be hearing about this great wide cultural divide that is supposed to exist in the Mets clubhouse, and between the Mets players and their manager.

And maybe you would never even hear this much about race on a team that doesn't have a Dominican-born general manager and an African-American manager out of Brownsville, Brooklyn. But you sure hear it around here lately. Suddenly, the clubhouse is the reason why the Mets have the record they do instead of the way they have played and especially the way they have pitched, even with Johan Santana on their side.

This is exactly what you hear about the Mets these days, in an off-key chorus that seems to grow louder, and more certain, by the day.

The man who put the team together, Omar Minaya, a Dominican kid raised in the shadows of Shea Stadium, talked about all that Tuesday afternoon.

First off, he was asked if he hears the cultural and racial theories being floated about his clubhouse.

"Of course I know these things are talked about sometimes, even though it seems they are talked about more when you are losing," he said. "I've been in this job three or four years now, and it's fair to say I am constantly hearing voices telling me what they think is needed to improve the Mets. And a lot of times they go to the areas about the makeup of our team.

"But that great 'divide' you talk about does not exist on this team. I think we have a very good clubhouse, and when I say a good clubhouse, that is based upon what I see."

Then Minaya tells you about a birthday party Carlos Beltran threw for himself on a Sunday night at the end of April, at a place on the East Side of Manhattan called Sofrito, a party at which Marc Anthony eventually sang. He said that one of the purposes of the party was to have the whole team be together, and that the whole team attended.

"There is this perception that Carlos is not a leader on our team," Minaya said. "I beg to differ."

Around a team in trouble, there is always the concern that players have begun to tune out the manager, whether those players are black or white or Hispanic. Maybe that will turn out to be a judgment made about Willie Randolph. But for now there is the perception - growing - that the diversity on the Mets, particularly because of the heavy Hispanic makeup of the team, is a bigger problem than Jose Reyes' fielding, or the way Santana hasn't covered up all the pitching problems the way everybody around the Mets hoped he would.

"I think people look at things through whatever colored glasses they choose to wear," Minaya said. "That's a choice they make and they are allowed to make. But it all comes back to winning, as far as I'm concerned. If I'm not mistaken, two years ago Sports Illustrated did a big cover story that was in part about the beauty of our clubhouse. Now we're a few games under .500 and that same thing is being highlighted by people in a completely different way."

"I'm a New Yorker," Minaya continued. "If you're a New Yorker, you know that people view the world the way they choose to, which is why there are so many differing opinions about almost everything. Willie Randolph is a New Yorker, too, a Brooklyn kid who I believe can connect with all kinds of people."

Minaya was asked about another perception - rather insulting - that the Hispanic players come to him instead of Randolph, as if they are all members of some secret Hispanic club.

"That," Minaya said, "is ridiculous."

Then he said, "I keep coming back to the same thing. Winning is the only medicine for all of this. Winning means you aren't just beating the other teams, but perceptions, too. Again: What was once a beauty of our team is now supposed to be some kind of curse. Only I'm not buying that."

They were supposed to have as much pitching as anybody in the National League once they got Santana. Then Pedro Martinez was gone from the season almost as soon as it started. (ONE THING-THIS WAS A SUPRISE? ARE YOU EFFIN' KIDDING?)The Yankees, over the long haul, can out-hit their pitching problems, at least in the regular season. The Mets don't have enough stick to do that.

"Unfortunately right now a lot of guys are underperforming," Omar Minaya said. "By that I mean they're not reaching the level of past performance. That's a collective thing. A team thing. It's why we're two or three games under .500 in the standings. But how many days over the past few seasons have we had a record like that? Not many. It's why I believe we're going to come out of this."

So the Mets are where they are right now. There are as many theories about that, starting with ones about the manager, as there have been ways for them to lose games. One of them is race. It is the third rail in Presidential politics, and with fourth-place teams in the NL East. People look at the Mets with those colored glasses Minaya talked about. None of them rose-colored.

Unbelievable. There was no racial angle to any of this until Willie brought it up! After beating the Yanks two in a row no less! Talk about shooting yourself in the foot. Now all of a sudden he's a victim. Gimme a break.

The problem is Delgado. He's hitting .182 with men on bases and .201 overall. He sucks. Get him out of here.

Unbelievable. There was no racial angle to any of this until Willie brought it up! After beating the Yanks two in a row no less! Talk about shooting yourself in the foot. Now all of a sudden he's a victim. Gimme a break.

The problem is Delgado. He's hitting .182 with men on bases and .201 overall. He sucks. Get him out of here.

he is latin,,he gets to stay 2 years after he starts sucking,,its Omar's Latino Manifesto : Section 4: Article 2.1..Paragraph 2

he is latin,,he gets to stay 2 years after he starts sucking,,its Omar's Latino Manifesto : Section 4: Article 2.1..Paragraph 2

I really don't care if they keep him just don't play him. He's a liability. I have no doubt the Mets have left more men on base this season than any team in either league. It's a disgrace, and he's the main culprit. It's gotten to the point where when he gets up with men on base with one or no outs, I hope that he strikes out. Because if he makes contact, there is better than a 50/50 chance he dribbles on into a double play.

He makes me sick.

I really don't care if they keep him just don't play him. He's a liability. I have no doubt the Mets have left more men on base this season than any team in either league. It's a disgrace, and he's the main culprit. It's gotten to the point where when he gets up with men on base with one or no outs, I hope that he strikes out. Because if he makes contact, there is better than a 50/50 chance he dribbles on into a double play.

He makes me sick.

Jet Mo

Do you know how many guys he has left on base last year and so far this year- pitiful. Inside pitches eats him up.

Jet Mo

Do you know how many guys he has left on base last year and so far this year- pitiful. Inside pitches eats him up.

He's horrible. Willie gave him last night off--- GIVE HIM THE REST OF THE SEASON OFF. Let Nick Evans play first. Or put Castro there, I don't give a sh*t ANYBODY but that waste of space.

He's horrible. Willie gave him last night off--- GIVE HIM THE REST OF THE SEASON OFF. Let Nick Evans play first. Or put Castro there, I don't give a sh*t ANYBODY but that waste of space.

I agree,, I bet that old f'in Commie ballplayer would be able to do a better job..

Castro-Baseball.jpg

:lol:

Seriously, the Mets have 3 catchers on the roster and all three of them can hit. They can't play everday put one of them at 1st base they couldn't do any worse than Delgado at that position.

Yeah he's not exactly known for his glove work. :biggrin:

Archived