SportingNews.com | Refueling The Jets

rick34125

Faneca, Woody keys to refueling the Jets

June 3, 2008

Dennis Dillon

http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn/viewtopic.php?t=419220

This is the time of year when NFL players build chemistry by pumping iron in the weight room, running plays on the practice field during OTAs and chowing down at restaurants such as Riodizio Churrascaria in Roslyn Heights, N.Y.

A 10-minute drive from Hofstra University, the Brazilian steakhouse is a hungry man's dream. Its bill of fare includes more than 20 varieties of select meats, including top sirloin, rib eye, flank steak, beef short ribs, leg of lamb, pork sausage and turkey wrapped in bacon. Professional carvers deliver entrees to tables on skewers and continue carving portions until patrons flip a card from the green (go) side to the red (stop) side.

One late afternoon in early May, 15 empty stomachs walked through the door: Jets quarterbacks Chad Pennington and Brett Ratliff, plus 13 of their biggest friends -- offensive linemen all. They put some tables together, talked about their families, listened to stories told by Alan Faneca and Damien Woody and ate until they could eat no more.

When it came to player cravings this offseason, the Jets were among the league's most ravenous teams. They signed seven veteran free agents, including Faneca and Woody; traded for another veteran, nose tackle Kris Jenkins; and drafted six players. After a 4-12 season, a team can't satisfy its hunger with an appetizer or two; it needs a bunch of main courses.

None of the additions will play a more important role than Faneca, the Jets' new left guard, and Woody, their new right tackle, who have 19 years of NFL experience combined. Faneca was an anchor on the Steelers' line for 10 seasons, made 153 starts and helped Pittsburgh win Super Bowl 40. Woody, who won two Super Bowl rings in New England, is a versatile lineman who has started at center, guard and tackle.

These two players don't just bring skill, experience and leadership to the line. They also bring a dimension that was lacking last season.

"What they've added is some physical presence," says the defensive coordinator of an AFC East rival. "They're going to be the running team they wanted to be a year ago."

The Jets struggled to run the ball effectively in 2007, Thomas Jones' first season as their feature back. They ranked 19th in the league in rushing yards and 23rd in average gain per rush. Coach Eric Mangini wants Jones and change-of-pace back Leon Washington to be able to run the ball in September and December, in the heat and the cold, at home and away ... even when the opponent knows they're going to run. The additions of Faneca (who replaces Adrien Clarke) and Woody (who takes over for Anthony Clement) should allow them to do that.

"I think they're both inherently tough guys," Mangini says. "They've got that same attitude that when it's fourth-and-1 or third-and-1 -- they want to run the ball, and they want it run behind them."

The passing attack also sagged last season, a victim of 53 sacks (19 more than in 2006) and too many quarterback pressures. The Jets run a multiple-look offense that can challenge a defense with its myriad formations, motions and shifts. But it won't matter whether Pennington, Kellen Clemens or Joe Namath is the quarterback if he doesn't have time to throw.

After going 10-6 and making the playoffs in 2006, Mangini's first season, the Jets finished 12 games -- 12! -- behind New England last year. They won't close that gap overnight, but if Faneca and Woody perform up to expectations, the Jets could at least get back in the Patriots' rearview mirror in 2008.

When the Jets' offseason program began in mid-March, center Nick Mangold found himself migrating toward Faneca almost immediately. Mangold noticed Faneca's work ethic in the weight room and the rituals he follows to keep his body in top shape. When OTAs began, Mangold saw Faneca carry that same approach to the practice field.

"You see that," Mangold says, "and you want to be at that level."

The Jets want Faneca, who has gone to the last seven Pro Bowls, to be a rock between Mangold and left tackle D'Brickashaw Ferguson -- Nick and Brick -- third-year players who have started since their rookie seasons. Mentor? Faneca will be glad to play that role "if they so choose and if they need it." Right now, though, he's still learning the Jets' offense, its different calls, tendencies of his new linemates -- and the maze that is the New York-area highway system.

90803.jpg

Callahan takes over as the o-line coach.

For 10 years, black-and-gold blood flowed through Faneca, 31, who missed only two games with Pittsburgh. "You spend 10 years somewhere, you get used to your routine, where everything is. It's definitely a new phase," says Faneca, who first was struck by the realization he was in a new environment when he saw the green carpet inside the Jets locker room at their training facility on Hofstra's campus.

Ferguson, who has been impressed by how Faneca "pushes himself" in the weight room and in on-field drills, regards him not so much as a tutor but as a player who can offer experiences and solutions to problems. Ferguson calls them "pearls of wisdom."

An outsider might look at Faneca's resume and presume he could become a bit of a know-it-all. That conclusion couldn't be further from the truth.

"The guys around here haven't been with me the last 10 years," he says. "I've got to come in here and earn their respect and show them firsthand."

Says Ferguson: "He's an interactive guy. He's very approachable. Because he has that type of attitude, he really blends in well with the guys we have."

When the offensive starters are taking a break on the practice field, it's not uncommon to see Faneca, Mangold and Ferguson standing together, talking shop. They might discuss a better way to block on a specific play. Mangold might ask Faneca how he likes to pull on a sweep. Or Faneca might ask Ferguson about when he needs help double-teaming an end. It's called taking mental reps.

"We're going through things back and forth -- each other's tendencies, how we're used to doing something," Faneca says. "We're kind of walking that line back and forth of practicing it and then reviewing and talking about it, so when we come back the next time we're a little more in sync and, hopefully, doing it a little bit better."

A line comprises five players at different positions who must work in concert for the offense to be successful. Think of it as a dance troupe; if one of the performers is out of step, the routine can fall apart.

That's why it's important for Faneca and Woody to continue bonding with Mangold, Ferguson and right guard Brandon Moore. The more they learn about one another now, the easier it will be to function effectively this season.

"It's not something that happens overnight or in a week or two," Faneca says. "You can't just sit back and let it happen over time. It's something each of us has to work at to get to that point."

Ferguson has more in common with Woody than the fact they are bookend linemen. Each drives a Mercedes CL. Ferguson's is black charcoal with tinted-out taillights and chrome wheels; Woody has a white coupe with white rims. "We've got the style game on," Ferguson says, a reference, perhaps, to a Jets version of Pimp My Ride.

The Jets will be happy if Woody, 30, just pimps their line. He is projected to start at right tackle even though he is a novice at that position, having played there only in the last five games last season for the Lions.

"Really? That's kind of surprising," says the AFC East defensive coordinator. "I'm not saying he can't play tackle -- obviously, those guys know what they're doing -- but I thought he would have been the right guard. It'll be interesting to see how he performs out there at tackle."

Mangini, who was an assistant coach for the Patriots during four of Woody's five seasons in New England, studied tape of Woody's games at right tackle last season and is convinced he can be a difference-maker there.

Let's see. A new starter at left guard. A new starter at right tackle. Oh, yeah, the Jets also have a new offensive line coach in Bill Callahan. The former coach of the Oakland Raiders and University of Nebraska is focusing on technique as he directs the Jets' linemen. So how's it going, maestro?

"I've only been here three months," says Callahan, whose official title is assistant head coach/offense. "We're just trying to put one foot in front of the other right now. It's been a pretty seamless transition because we've been working in the offseason program. ... But it's too early to say anything about where we're at. We have a long ways to go."

With Faneca and Woody aboard, the journey should be much more comfortable.

Dennis Dillon is a writer for Sporting News. E-mail him at ddillon@sportingnews.com.

This article is actual the cover page for this weeks magazine.

I don't know who if anyone here receives The Sporting News on a weekly basis as I do, but the front cover is our new revamped Offensive Line. Pretty cool to see the Jets on the cover of a big Sports magazine for once. :cheers:

90799.jpg

This article is actual the cover page for this weeks magazine.

I don't know who if anyone here receives The Sporting News on a weekly basis as I do, but the front cover is our new revamped Offensive Line. Pretty cool to see the Jets on the cover of a big Sports magazine for once. :cheers:

90799.jpg

Mangold's moving to LG and Faneca is our new centre it would seem.:lol:

Just thinking about it -- DBrick really has the most to gain. With Faneca on the line I think Brick is going to make some serious progress this year. Just looking at the size of him (and how much bigger he can get) that is a scary thought.

Oh how I long for the thought of lining up on 3rd and 1 and running the ball. The whole Bruce Coslet 5 guys in motion on 3rd and 1 -- if I never see that again, it will be too soon.

Why do we always have to be a running team? Why can't we be a passing team that can run also? Or be a running team that can also throw the ball? We have been a running team for as long as I can remember, with the possible exception of the Boomer Esiason years, where we had a ****ty O-line the entire time anyway (yet Boomer still did so much more than Chad does).

Why do we always have to be a running team? Why can't we be a passing team that can run also? Or be a running team that can also throw the ball? We have been a running team for as long as I can remember, with the possible exception of the Boomer Esiason years, where we had a ****ty O-line the entire time anyway (yet Boomer still did so much more than Chad does).

I think when you factor in the swirling winds of the Medowlands, with the weather conditions of Buffalo and Foxborough...its a good idea to develop a power running game.

Archived